What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can molasses be used in DWC?

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Can molasses be used in DWC?
I have been told no because of bacterial blooms but what about if using Great White?

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I use it - 1 teaspoon per gallon in late flowering. I mix it in hot water first to get good dilution, then dump it into rez with nutes. It'll stain roots, but I do a flush/rinse with just water to wash any accumulations. Pretty sure most "bud candy" type boosters have similar chemical makeup.

Yeah, seconded. I've done it before as well. It has been a long time since I've done it but I remember it having a noticeable effect. I usually just powder Kool Bloom it up now though. Although I have been thinking about trying some Blackstrap again just to see what would happen.

Vital

I've used it without any issues. The only thing it did was foam up a little. As far as bacteria bloom, I don't know I keep my res' at 68 so never have issues there.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
15+ years indoor DWC and I'll vote a resounding no.

Cannabis does not use molasses, but it will absorb the sugars and leave them in your flowers unconverted. (gross) It will also add molasses flavor to your flowers. (double gross) Bacteria and fungi use molasses, which then becomes available for your plants. This is not happening in regular hydro.

:tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

Molasses has done to my outdoor grow what Douglas says below:

15+ years indoor DWC and I'll vote a resounding no.

Cannabis does not use molasses, but it will absorb the sugars and leave them in your flowers unconverted. (gross) It will also add molasses flavor to your flowers. (double gross) Bacteria and fungi use molasses, which then becomes available for your plants. This is not happening in regular hydro.

:tiphat:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Thanks for all the replies.

I will be using Great White beneficial bacteria and fungi as well as Cyco Zyme so the molasses can feed that, I will stop the molasses 2 weeks before harvest.

G

Gauss

Yea, molasses isn't meant to be used by the plant. It's for the soil/medium culture.

MrMMJ

Plants don't typically absorb sugars. They spend far more energy producing and exuding there own, out thru the roots. They do this to feed the beneficial microbiology in their root zone.

Using molasses will not make a plant taste like molasses, anymore than adding grape juice will make it taste like grapes, or lemonade like lemons.....

Molasses is great for brewing teas and organic soil grows. If by "hydro" , one means a drain to waste system in an inert media, molasses can be beneficial. As far as in a RDWC or DWC, I think your only asking for trouble.

BTW, having your reservoir at a specific temperature does not immunize it from pathogens. There are many different types that thrive in different conditions. One of the systems I built ( 12 site rdwc ) uses no air stones, no chiller, and a VERY slow circulation speed. NO additives other than a base nutrient. Years of great performance, never a case of rot....
Tried getting organic rdwc to work years ago, always turned into a rotten, stinking mess. Adding tons of air and carbs/sugars makes a supercharged environment for promoting both good AND bad growth !

G

Gauss

Using molasses will not make a plant taste like molasses, anymore than adding grape juice will make it taste like grapes, or lemonade like lemons.....

It doesn't translate to the same flavours, but it does change the flavour and smell of the bud. I have met people who can tell me the difference between weed grown with a fish in the hole and weed grown with grape skins just by smelling it. The fish fed plants smell and taste kinda fishy, but otherwise you'd have to know from experience what the soil had been augmented with since like I said it doesn't translate directly to the plant's aromas. Those folks just knew it, no way to fake that.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It doesn't translate to the same flavours, but it does change the flavour and smell of the bud.
It does indeed.

Keep in mind, to notice the difference it helps to keep from overfeeding it or spraying 'stuff' on it during flower. Combine this with the average person's ability to smell/taste, and it can be very difficult to tell.

It's quite pronounced in exceptionally well grown cannabis. :tiphat:

G

Gauss

That's interesting, I've noticed a more elaborate sweetness when using grape husks (from making jam) but nothing I could really say was a direct parallel. Fish does make it smell like fish, though. I also smoked cigs for about 20 years so go figure. Never tried it with molasses, I pour that in my compost and it's pretty well removed from the original form before it gets in a pot.

Latest posts

Latest posts