What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing containers

Miasa Mura

not so much of a new idea.
different mediums have been used to change flavor of wine n spirits for a long time.

with the concrete eggs you get a much sort of clearer fruity wine.

i have palyed with various things with weed.
have been interested in wine n cigars for many years applied various aspects of all that to curing and storing.

cigar humidor is ok, if you use a big one and bins you dont pick up wood flavors. key is controling humidity and most cheap or desktop style humidors do not do that well. needs to be adjusted almost daily by the user.

have tried cobs, have tried modifying that to pressing and curing with spanish cedar from cigar boxes... this with some heat changes the flavor packed in vacum bags...

i always though wisky barrel curing could be interesting or wine barrel.

key is to control temp n humidity, if you have a lot there will be uneven spots so you need to mix/fluff.

i actually mix a little tobacco cut from my favorite cigars with my weed. can get some really nice parings depending on stain/brand. i only smoke can solo after it has cured for a while. there is a point were the tobacco actually hurts flavor/burn. i started mixing tobacco to get proper burning. which i learned about from cigar smoking.

i smoke a lot. lol
i cant deal with bad flavor/bad burning uneven smoke.

Thanks for sharing your finding!

I’m not looking at using humidors, but creating air tight wood containers.

Interesting you put tobacco with your herb, similar to the jasmine tea process.

They sell personal whiskey barrels from 2-20 liters made of oak. I plan to use one as part of this experiment.

I’ve been growing and curing herb for 15 years, so I have a good handle on the process. :)

THC123

Veteran
I have had the best results in mylar as opposed to glass! Especially for long term storage. Smells are preserved much better this way and doenst get "old".

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
For my personal stash, (about 1 1/2 lbs) which has to last from harvest time in Oct. until the next October harvest, I like to use Ball Mason jars...in the half gallon size.

I have a food saver with a jar attachment so I can vac-seal the jars.
(Just make sure the buds are as dry as they need to be before sealing them.)

Instead of worrying about them being in total darkness,
I found that it's very easy to use a quality enamel, black gloss spray paint, and paint the outside of the jars..

Just put masking tape over the jar's threads, turn them upside down and spray them..

Once the lid is vacuumed on, and the ring is screwed on, your stash is vacuum sealed in a totally light proof container....
And it will stay fresh for a long time. Just be sure to label them well!

Miasa Mura

Containers

Containers

I’ve decided to grab these three containers to test out for this next round of flowering, followed by the making of Redwood, Madrone and concrete containers by the fall.

Attachments

• 3028EC71-F1DF-4577-B360-07F1DD7EA1D0.jpeg
    3028EC71-F1DF-4577-B360-07F1DD7EA1D0.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 37
  • 45CA3129-3BA8-48F1-A3B4-3600A64E434B.jpeg
    45CA3129-3BA8-48F1-A3B4-3600A64E434B.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 30
  • 413E08AE-3A2E-43B6-BEC1-B2E853C77C58.jpeg
    413E08AE-3A2E-43B6-BEC1-B2E853C77C58.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 38

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For my personal stash, (about 1 1/2 lbs) which has to last from harvest time in Oct. until the next October harvest, I like to use Ball Mason jars...in the half gallon size.

I have a food saver with a jar attachment so I can vac-seal the jars.
(Just make sure the buds are as dry as they need to be before sealing them.)

Instead of worrying about them being in total darkness,
I found that it's very easy to use a quality enamel, black gloss spray paint, and paint the outside of the jars..

Just put masking tape over the jar's threads, turn them upside down and spray them..

Once the lid is vacuumed on, and the ring is screwed on, your stash is vacuum sealed in a totally light proof container....
And it will stay fresh for a long time. Just be sure to label them well!
Do they sell chalkboard paint in the spray can?

For truly long term storage, store your vacuum sealed jars in a sub zero freezer. THC stops degrading at -4* F. Should theoretically last for decades.

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
i will try to paint the glass jars thank you
or maybe just cover them with dark paper..?

kaochiu

Veteran
I keep it in an old 200 litres oak barrel. It was used for cider, but to prepare it I washed the inside with alcohol, then lighted it and last I polished it.
I usually dry the plant hanging in a well aireated barn, then I pass it to glass jars. After 2 months i put it in the barrel and I was smoking the whole year out of it.
I don't know about subtle differences in flavour, 8 months on it was beautiful, but also the one in glass jars was as nice. The buds kept the right moisture all the time in the barrel, while the one in glass jars started loosing moisture after being opened.
Sorry I've only got these pics, (think i've posted it before in some other thread)

G

Gauss

That barrel looks like sap rot and white rot ground zero. I hope that's an ooooooold barrel and you didn't varnish the inside. Those are used for booze for a reason, and there are reasons we use other containers for pretty much everything else nowadays.

kaochiu

Veteran
Well, thank you for your concern. Didn't varnish and it's old enough, like 30 years from last use (cider). As for surviving mould, alcohol, fire and sandpaper took care of it. Proof: I'm still alive and not coughing after toking from there for the whole year. I'll risk it again with next harvest, (sorry if I skip asking for approval).

G

Gauss

Apology not necessary, do you thing man. Just didn't want you getting screwed up is all.

Latest posts

Latest posts