What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this dehumidifier big enough for a 4x4x6.5 tent

My rh gets up in the 80% range at night don't stay there long I don't think kuz I checked it when lights was out it was at 55% I think in between the ac kicking on and of it rises and lowers for split sec kuz when lights are on it jumps from 40% to 60% all day long.. Was wondering if a mini debut would work in 4x4x6.5 grow tent with a 400cfm fan taking air out and a 200cfm fan hooked to 8000 but ac lights should not matter not having rh problems when lights are on, but have 5 plants. Scrog almost across hole tent ... Would the dehumidifier in pic work..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170920-170853.jpg
    Screenshot_20170920-170853.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20170920-170809.jpg
    Screenshot_20170920-170809.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 14

MrBungle

It doesn't look like there is a hose drain option, and the res only carries a pint in the reservoir... It may shut off half way through a light cycle, if no one is around to empty the reservoir

edit: it only costs 30 bucks, you could always make your own hose drain on the res

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That one is tiny, your outtake fans would overpower it inside the tent itself. Are you venting outside or inside? If you are venting inside you can setup a room dehumidifier and it theoretically wouldn't have to run all the time, it would heat the air up though. You said you have an AC which would counteract the heatup of the dehumidifier, and also itself dehumidify the air some, which again would theoretically mean you wouldn't have to run the main dehumid so often. If you vent inside you will require a charcoal filter though, otherwise everybody who comes over will know what's going down. Most filters are large, measure how much free space you have and find something that will fit and then measure your free space again just to be sure how much light you will block hanging it, if any. You can of course get a room dehumidifier and then dump the exhaust air outside, which takes care of the smell, but you will also be constantly be dehumidifying the intake air, which means the dehumid possibly runs a lot more, meaning more energy costs. That of course depends on your intake air humidity, if it's low to start with the dehumid won't have to do as much work. Sorry if this is long winded I'm stoned and tired, hopefully it all makes sense too and nothing is factually wrong.

rh is only high when ac kicks off and that's for a split second , it's low 80% rh for like 3 min 5 tops then back down to 40rh when ac kicks on... I have a presh carbon filter works great I vent back into room tent is in.. my tent is in my closet my ac sits in my closet as well then I have hole cut in wall with vent and my hot air is vented out in to bed room... I do open window at night some times... My heater is also in closet I have no heating and cooling yet so if temps drop when lights are off it kicks on and bests tent to 67F but it's been 75 to 80f in bed room for the most part so tent stays at 77f lights on and off.. but like I said when ac kicks on it's drops down very low some times in the 30% range

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If it is really only for 5 minutes, I personally wouldn't worry about it. But that's just like, my opinion, man :biggrin:

If it is really only for 5 minutes, I personally wouldn't worry about it. But that's just like, my opinion, man :biggrin:
No I was thinking the same thing.. it's just that it's also 40% rh for 5 min or so as well but was thinking it would still even it's self out in the end probably run auto flowers again just for that reason just depends on how this grow ends... I'm flipping tomorrow buying a dehumidifier next Friday . One of my buddies said it would work he has 1 in his 5x5 grow room and runs in the 50s at night what he says.. never has high rh at my old house but it had cereal heating and cooling.. I struggled to keep rh in the 60% range there and my old house just 30 m away and next to a river lpl

St. Phatty

The whole idea is to pull moisture out of the air.

you can dump 10 pounds of ice in a Galvanized tub,
and blow (lots of) air at it.

It will have a similar effect - moisture will condense from the air, and when the ice is melted you will have 10+ pounds of water to dispose of.

One of the problems with a dehumidifier is that it blows out hot air.

That raises the room temperature - which tends to raise humidity.

Dehumidifier are also far from 100% efficient, more like 40%. You might pull 100 joules of energy out of the room on the cold end (leading to the condensation) while meanwhile you're blowing 250 joules (watt-seconds) into the room ... raising the temperature.

If you can find a dehumidifier with a separate exhaust that allows you to blow the Dehum's hot air OUTSIDE the grow space - that's better.

I once bought a perfectly functional Dehum. off Craigslist for $50. Same capacity as the ones they're selling at Home Depot for $200/$300l

St. Phatty

I'm confused on the hot air rises rh and cold air lowers it.. my rh rises when it's cold and drops when it's hot ??

Thermodynamics ... can give you a headache.

When the math gets heavy I need Caffeine & Sugar.

The older I get, the less that even works.

The whole ballgame is to pull moisture out of the air.

As far as rh rising ... I don't know.

Hot air holds more moisture than cold air.

One thing I've noticed using a dehum. is that the room gets warmer - and the plants put out more water vapor.

Yes, it will deposit water in the water container in the dehum.

I think part of the trick is to just run it for a 1/2 hour or 15 minutes. Pull some moisture out of the air.

Don't try to get it all the first time.

Of course, that's for Growing.

For drying Cannabis, the heat helps, as long as the moisture is moved away from the drying buds.