What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

7 days since planting 36 seeds.....0 seedlings?

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Let me start by saying this is my first time growing in 6 years since I got busted so I may be a bit rusty on all this. However I grew for 10 years straight so I have plenty of experience with all this, which makes this all the more confusing!

So 8 days ago I put 36 seeds (4 strains, 9 seeds from each) in water for 36 hours until they all sunk. Ended up with one with a small tap root poking out and a couple more cracked slightly.
Then I carefully put them in bio-bizz all mix soil which was pre-moistened no more than 1/2" down. I lightly covered them and carefully pressed the soil over them.
Put a few drops of water over the middle of the pot to 'settle' the seed properly in it's hole.

I've kept them all warm. They're in a room with a radiator on constantly so it's like a warm sunny day in there.

Anyway back to my predicament, it's been 7 days since I planted all my seeds and not a single one has popped up from the soil.

Would you guys be worrying right now? I mean with 4 different strains this can't be a bad seed problem surely?
Should I dig down in a couple of pots to see what's happening? I've been resisting doing so and have been patient but this is getting silly now.

Same here this year two times.. I bought promix, and did what you did... 3 from 10 germ.. im like wtf... digging to get the seeds inspected and 6had seedworms, eating the seed from inside!! no idea where them came from, maybe some old soil in pots or some flies IDK.
then i took my cocobrick and made a loose cocos mix 1inch deep and put new seeds inside after 24h soak... well all of them germinated like always, no bugs no shit. i had to transplant the seedlings into pots after 2days as soon the seedling is out of the shell if you know what i mean.
good luck

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
I'd be very surprised if it was due to insects. I used brand new soil with new pots.

It's taking all my willpower right now not to go digging around to see wtf they are doing!

36 seeds, dude, go and dig out 3-4 and see whats up! You might find them too tight clogged without air to sprout or other bad conditions. 3days+and they might turn into compost :D! maybe they are dead maybe you can dig tthem out carefully and transplant, i never give up, i try to save mutants and weat seeds and even if i break the root of a seedling, ant it works more often then it fails. have to be very very careful thats all.
good luck!
and for 100% sucess try the paper-towel method with two plates top and bottom after the 24h soak. all seeds will ofen in 1-2days and you can transplant rooted seedling and be fine without the hassle.

Dog Star

Veteran
Seed dumping cause of gnats are very common problem,and those soils you buy
are somehow transported and keeped for some time in a shop you buying them,

so gnats could come directly in bag or anywhere in a transport,shop,etc..

Sciaride are very sucessfull bug... the only place they dont livin is Antartica and Sahara..

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Ok I caved and dug around.....so far I have 5 seeds that haven't cracked at all. WTF?

They're going straight into paper towels this time.

a light light hydrogen peroxide/ or baking soda solution would kill off bad fungi. put the seeds 10min in a light solution and then into clean toiletpaper or kitchen papertowel.
good luck bro!
sometimes seds need only few hours sometimes then dont open at all unless you crack them manually with your teeth! I didnt believe it first and was afraid of hurting the seedling, but the last 3grown i cracked ALL seeds with my teeth before soak! and they did fine.

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Don't think it's fungi either mate. Not one of the seeds has germinated in the soil lol they all look like they did when I put them in the soil.

How the hell is this even possible?

I've cleaned them all and put them in prewet toilet roll folded up then squeezed gently after folding over to get excess water out. Then put them in a tupperware container in the warm room with radiator on. If I don't see taproots within a couple days I'm going to have to call it quits with these and buy some clones...

Anyone had this happen before? Have the post office started firing gamma rays at suspicious packages therefore killing my seeds? lol this is crazy

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Right well it's been 2 days in paper towels and not a SINGLE fucking seed has cracked open.

So basically wasted £50 on the seeds. Don't think I'll ever order from Seed Boutique again.

Got some clones on order...

Badfishy1

Right well it's been 2 days in paper towels and not a SINGLE fucking seed has cracked open.

So basically wasted £50 on the seeds. Don't think I'll ever order from Seed Boutique again.

Got some clones on order...

Have you tried to scuff w sandpaper? A certain auto company recommends scuffing their seeds w sandpaper before dropping. Also have seen the past couple weeks a few seasoned veteran growers losing whole seed runs. As far as 'wasted 50Ps', I have yet to see any breeder/company guarantee 100% germ rate. I'm sure if you would take it up w the vendor they would work to rectify situation. That said, going and complaining on a public forum without talking to them has probably lowered to nullified ANY sort of correcting the problem (as it should). Anyhow, if you figure out a way for 100% germ rate, keep us posted, that is a god-tier revolution across the board for the horticultural community not just cannabis scene. Good luck m8 we are waiting w high hopes on your break through

justanotherbozo

Veteran
yeah, i'm thinking it's your tech that is the problem and not the Boutique, believe me, they WANT your beans to grow.

...as to those seeds you have that were soaked and then planted i'd say those are toast but again, i'd say your problem isn't bad seeds from the jump but rather something wrong with your technique or your environment.

...i personally start my beans by directly sowing them in fresh straight coco, no soaking, no paper towels just a light scuffing and then directly into the coco.

picture.php

...once the seedling emerges from the coco the 'humidity dome' is immediately removed.

picture.php

...i don't get 100% survival but it's pretty damned close.

peace, bozo

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Guys....I appreciate what you're saying but I have around 10 years growing experience as I said. I'm not some newbie just throwing his seeds in some dirt. I've germinated seeds plenty of times in the past in this exact method that I used here.

1. Throw seeds in water and leave for a day or 2 until they crack and taproot starts growing.
2. Plant seeds 1cm down in pre-moistened soil, cover and pat lightly to make sure seed is snug.
3. Few drops of water on top of seed to 'seat it' properly.
4. Keep warm and make sure it stays moist.

Those are the exact steps I took. I've always done it like that and never had 0/36 germinate before. Worst I ever had was probably 50% gemination with some pretty old seeds.

When you follow all the steps to a T and you get nothing, of course you're going to question the quality of the seeds. What else am I supposed to think?

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Have you tried to scuff w sandpaper? A certain auto company recommends scuffing their seeds w sandpaper before dropping. Also have seen the past couple weeks a few seasoned veteran growers losing whole seed runs. As far as 'wasted 50Ps', I have yet to see any breeder/company guarantee 100% germ rate. I'm sure if you would take it up w the vendor they would work to rectify situation. That said, going and complaining on a public forum without talking to them has probably lowered to nullified ANY sort of correcting the problem (as it should). Anyhow, if you figure out a way for 100% germ rate, keep us posted, that is a god-tier revolution across the board for the horticultural community not just cannabis scene. Good luck m8 we are waiting w high hopes on your break through

I'll buy some fine sandpaper from town tomorrow and try it but I have very little hope.
They've been moist and warm for 10 days now and no sign of germination from any of them. That's not counting the 1 seed that cracked but must have died and turned to mush because I couldn't find it when digging about.

Guys....I appreciate what you're saying but I have around 10 years growing experience as I said. I'm not some newbie just throwing his seeds in some dirt. I've germinated seeds plenty of times in the past in this exact method that I used here.

1. Throw seeds in water and leave for a day or 2 until they crack and taproot starts growing.
2. Plant seeds 1cm down in pre-moistened soil, cover and pat lightly to make sure seed is snug.
3. Few drops of water on top of seed to 'seat it' properly.
4. Keep warm and make sure it stays moist.

Those are the exact steps I took. I've always done it like that and never had 0/36 germinate before. Worst I ever had was probably 50% gemination with some pretty old seeds.

When you follow all the steps to a T and you get nothing, of course you're going to question the quality of the seeds. What else am I supposed to think?

90%sure you should question the quality of you growmedium!
it didnt let enough air inside and/or was too compacted/compressed. Or pathogenic bacteria...
no way you can get 0/36seeds... If these seeds come from the stoneage maybe...

just take the easy way with water/ papertowel and you will be 100% sure if the seeds are good or not!
Thats why i didnt suggest you to take perlite or coco or seedlingsoil. Then you cant watch the progress...
good luck

RDIT: another benefit of the papertowel is, if there is some bad bacteria or fungus, you will notice its growth pretty quick.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would skip the 36 hours of soaking completely. Maybe you just drowned them to death. Just place them between good old wet paper towels, not too moist, not too warm, room temps are sufficient. In 2-3 days 95% should have popped.

troutman

Seed Whore
It's possible your seeds drowned. I soak my seeds for 8-10 hours only.
Long like what you did is probably too much for nothing anyways.

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Well guys I'm going for round 2. My clone guy is on holiday apparently so I'm giving the Boutique another order.

Got some Brainfreeze (luixc99) and Sweet Tooth #3 f2s ordered. Should be here by monday hopefully.

I've also ordered some Root Riot starter plugs and some jiffy pellets. I plan to put half my seeds in a paper towel and the other half straight into the Root Riots as per the guides I've read.
Then when the ones in paper towels have cracked I plan to transfer them to the jiffy plugs once the taproot is showing.
Basically I'm not giving myself any chance of failing this time. Really don't fancy wasting any more £s on seeds. I'm already behind schedule with this grow.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well guys I'm going for round 2. My clone guy is on holiday apparently so I'm giving the Boutique another order.

Got some Brainfreeze (luixc99) and Sweet Tooth #3 f2s ordered. Should be here by monday hopefully.

I've also ordered some Root Riot starter plugs and some jiffy pellets. I plan to put half my seeds in a paper towel and the other half straight into the Root Riots as per the guides I've read.
Then when the ones in paper towels have cracked I plan to transfer them to the jiffy plugs once the taproot is showing.
Basically I'm not giving myself any chance of failing this time. Really don't fancy wasting any more £s on seeds. I'm already behind schedule with this grow.

I would only plant the fresh seedling into jiffys if you give them some kind of nutrition. These pellets do contain none. Better to put them right into soil if you will use it later anyway. You can use light soil, some recommend it, but I think it's not neccessary.

Latest posts

Latest posts