What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long to veg and flower in 5 gal buckets after transplanting

I just transplanted my 4 week old plants and was wondering how long can you veg in a 5 gal bucket before flowering.. I was told a month for every gallon but that included flower

Dankwolf

One week per gallon is the standered. Or 1 foot of plant per gallon of soil is more accurate. Of course all is strian /skill dependant.

You wull get better feed back if you describe your situation/ grow enviourment in more detail ?

w3rds

Dont agree with the week/gallon and ft/gallon statements. In my experiences, a 5 gallon pot can easily get a 2-3 month veg. Blows my mind when you see the people who almost exclusively grow outdoors are insistent on massive pots for any extended veg.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...you should be very careful with watering, 5 gallons is way too big for a 4 week old seedling and so, if fully watered, it will stay wet for too long and cause over-watering symptoms.

...in the future you should move your seedlings up more gradually, uppotting in soil should be done incrementally.

peace, bozo

Dankwolf

Dont agree with the week/gallon and ft/gallon statements. In my experiences, a 5 gallon pot can easily get a 2-3 month veg. Blows my mind when you see the people who almost exclusively grow outdoors are insistent on massive pots for any extended veg.

Ps i am an indoor guy lol . and people with knowledge / skill. And real strians can out grow a 5 gallon buket in two weeks indoor. Its cute when jo blow thinks he can grow :laughing:

...you should be very careful with watering, 5 gallons is way too big for a 4 week old seedling and so, if fully watered, it will stay wet for too long and cause over-watering symptoms.

...in the future you should move your seedlings up more gradually, uppotting in soil should be done incrementally.

peace, bozo
yea I know but all I had at the time.. I usaly pot up 3 or 4 times but I only give about a half gallon each water.. I don't even get run off

One week per gallon is the standered. Or 1 foot of plant per gallon of soil is more accurate. Of course all is strian /skill dependant.

You will get better feed back if you describe your situation/ grow enviourment in more detail ?
so in 5 weeks I should have 5 ft plants?? I'm not disagreeing but sure am confused??if it its one week gallon then how am I going 3 weeks in solo cups before root bound and have did a sea of green in 2 gal pots.. Is that 5 weeks of veg then flip to 12 12 and then 8 weeks of flower in the 5 gal??? Just confusing kuz if that was the case then flowering would not be possible in the 5 gal..

Dankwolf

you're definitely a good grower I can tell from the lack of deficiencies

In 5 weeks you should have around 35 inches of growth 1 inch for evary day and that shoild allow for 25 more inches of growth that will be accumulated throught flower hence roughly 12 inches of growth per gallon of soil. Yes a 5 foot tall plant by end of flower . is one way to guess .

Trichomez1

Depends what light there going under. 600w only supports 4 feet of nice nug growth from bulb. 5 feet for 1000w . If want plants to finish 5 feet maximum so id want anything in a 5 gal bushed one via lst and topping.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

M y plants are under a 200w diamond series led and there 350w XML led. So 550w but I can say them led lights I have outperform my 600w hps bye a long shot and my last grow looked the same as by boys 1000w hps except my buds looked better moor trikes.... Advanced says the 200 replaces 400w hps and the 350xml replaces 800w hps... So that's 1200w... I had 2 150 w sun systems and the 200w killed it... Sorry for going on about it just loved my LEDs lol...

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
My 2 cents--it is strain specific.

My plants produce about 1/4 pound each (or they get the boot) and my experience is: certain strains require a veg time of around 30 days or so and a couple require damn near 90 days to achieve the same girth.

I go from snip to cup (clone time) in about 14 days, another 2 weeks in cups, and another 2 weeks in half gallon containers then their butts get planted in #5 container (about 4 gallons or so--not quite 5 gallons) for the required veg time.

What is the required veg time? The time it takes for a plant to reach about 30" (measured from soil to top leaf) at the 3rd week in flower. In my garden, plants with a good girth and are around 30" tall (after stretching) will honor me with about 120 grams of gorgeous manicured buds.

BTW, I am mostly organic, use a custom peat blend grow medium which I reclaim. My garden is perpetual (harvest every week or so) and use high UVb lamps during the first and last few weeks in flower (7.2k & 10k Kelvin)...and HPS (3k) elsewhere. I veg with 4.2k metal halide and change bulbs every 4 months.

I rotate their weekly feeding between nutrients, minerals, enzymes, bacteria, fertility, etc. but they receive lots of water. Flowering plants require hydration every 2 days...most require 48 oz each while a goodly number suck up half gallon of water every 2 days. I seek about 10% runoff and then bless them with serious water deficits during the last 2 weeks.

So how long do I veg? It depends on the strain and the characteristics of that particular cultivar.

Dankwolf

My 2 cents--it is strain specific.

My plants produce about 1/4 pound each (or they get the boot) and my experience is: certain strains require a veg time of around 30 days or so and a couple require damn near 90 days to achieve the same girth.

I go from snip to cup (clone time) in about 14 days, another 2 weeks in cups, and another 2 weeks in half gallon containers then their butts get planted in #5 container (about 4 gallons or so--not quite 5 gallons) for the required veg time.

What is the required veg time? The time it takes for a plant to reach about 30" (measured from soil to top leaf) at the 3rd week in flower. In my garden, plants with a good girth and are around 30" tall (after stretching) will honor me with about 120 grams of gorgeous manicured buds.

BTW, I am mostly organic, use a custom peat blend grow medium which I reclaim. My garden is perpetual (harvest every week or so) and use high UVb lamps during the first and last few weeks in flower (7.2k & 10k Kelvin)...and HPS (3k) elsewhere. I veg with 4.2k metal halide and change bulbs every 4 months.

I rotate their weekly feeding between nutrients, minerals, enzymes, bacteria, fertility, etc. but they receive lots of water. Flowering plants require hydration every 2 days...most require 48 oz each while a goodly number suck up half gallon of water every 2 days. I seek about 10% runoff and then bless them with serious water deficits during the last 2 weeks.

So how long do I veg? It depends on the strain and the characteristics of that particular cultivar.

Well put

Dankwolf

Depends what light there going under. 600w only supports 4 feet of nice nug growth from bulb. 5 feet for 1000w . If want plants to finish 5 feet maximum so id want anything in a 5 gal bushed one via lst and topping.

Lol trim your plants up .

Latest posts

Latest posts