What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Additives and your health

Drewsif

This is a little long, and uninteresting to most, but its a problem thats driving me nuts, so i got to get it out there.

In 2013 I ran across something me nor my closest toking buddy had ever seen. It was some lemon kush from a honest, yet quick turnover, 'hustler' type broker. Yellowish with dark hairs, ugly but dense.

The initial smell was so strong, and the price was low, too good to pass up. I gave a half lb to my partner before going on a trip. I had only tried some shake myself, and only kept some small chunks; I had my own strawberry cough for my trip.

When I returned home, my friend had something to discuss with me. Being friends for 20+ years, he was not accusative, but plainly stated that he believed i had given him lemon kush that had been "sprayed with something" and several of his pals had complained about the taste, although most enjoyed the strong high.

Long story short, I dont know the grower, so we investigate with heat extraction. FIRST, its obvious the strong citrus smell is linked to a strong bitterness, affecting larger, top buds more so than larfy bottoms. Which is why I didnt notice initially.

SECOND, my extraction equipment begins to sizzle around 375*: a black goop has ran out of the sample, and into the heat atomizer, giving a strong burnt sulfur smell. This has never happened with cannabis samples before.

THIRD, I attempt to clean this black "resin" off my equipment, to find it baked on. It cannot be removed with isopropyl and salt. Hydroflouric acid was required to remove the buildup. This does not happen with organic cannabis samples, ever.

FOURTH,
the consistency of the vapor is that of an adhesive. When dissolved, it had a tendency to clump away from the solvent in higher temperatures than expected.

FIFTH, Upon vapor inhalation, lung expansion is non existant, no cough, and the fuminess is that of bowling shoe spray, rather than OG cleaner. Taste is too bitter to keep a straight face,or to desire a 2nd toke.

SIXTH, lungs feel like a pack of cigarettes and an ashtray of roaches. Nostrils caked, breathing slightly restricted. Normally Im the guy who gets all sweaty and blows a gallon of snot after the first hit.

SEVENTH, headache, distinct location, top left center.

EIGHTH, vapor path stained. Etched glass in vapor path is stained red. Hydroflouric acid required for removal.

NINTH, effects are dreary, depressing, dirty, generic, out of it, druggy 'high' feeling.

We spent a lot of time trying to figure out what this stuff was. Sulfured molasses? Unflushed nutes? Foliar sprays? Brix+? Tasty Puff? This stuff was all foreign to us, our weed was grown with dirt and npk.

I eventually stopped worrying about it, until I moved out of state. Now, at least half the stuff I run acrossed has this bitter lemon rind profile. Nearly every grow, at least 1 strain.

I run the experiments, and i find varying degrees of the same anomalies; generic citrus smell, foot spray fumes, bitter taste, no expansion, no expectorant properties, and heavy buildup on my glass.

Part of the reason I use cannabis is for breathing issues. This stuff makes it all worse. WHAT IS IT?? Why cant anyone else taste it? Lemon kush doesnt taste bitter, never has, until 2013. Now i cant get away from it. Reject half the cuts Im offered and when i think ive made a safe bet, Im still usually wrong, and end up with bitter lemon. I have a closet full of 'lemon' weed from the dispensaries, too bitter and "jock itch spray" to vape.

Is it potpourri spray? Orange rind extract? Is d-lemonine even a real cannabis terp? Lemon strains are my absolute favorite, from lemon kush to lemonhead, but i cant even buy them since moving, because they all have the BITTER lemon rind additive, whatever it is.. Its not natural or even close to the lemon skunk profile.

So why do I come here with this? Because I believe these additives, this specific bitter citrus one, is causing health problems. Possibley hyperemesis syndrome. AND ITS GAINING POPULARITY. Seeing its use on all strains now, in many states. I know for a fact it coats your lungs like cigarette smoke. WHATEVER IT IS.

NOW i get why these kids on youtube can dab a gram; the waxes arent seperating, its not absorbing, just sitting their caked up like tar.

I dont care what anyone tells you: the nutrient companies have destroyed your smell and flavor, and are selling you bottled smells to replace it, if you're one of these 50 bottle growers using this garbage. Its sad that people believe this profile is associated with cannabis genetics. Alot of the stuff grown with this additive has no underlying cannabis smell whatsoever. In fact most has no smell or taste other than the bitter citrus additive itself.

Just because you cant taste it, or dont believe in residuals, means nothing to me, because i can taste and smell every one of these additive products, the good and the bad; increased yield = carb weight. Enhanced sweetness= blackstrap. Slow burn = oils. Increased frost = chalked stalks. Enhanced smoothness = polyglycol. Inhanced smell= our nutrients kill smell so heres another $50bottle of berry scented plasticizer so you can still sell your ruined crop to ignorant kids who just wanna get high.

They are coverup products for overfed and poorly dried crops. Nothing more. But this mystery bitter one thats taking over.. Is like smoking the bottle itself.

If ANYONE has any clue as to what the bitter citrus additive is, I would appreciate any help in tracking it down. ( I know Vader extracts used it on their last run, chernobyl, paris og and cheese all the same.)

Half you are probablly thinking "this guy's crazy, he just doesnt know good weed",.but i guarantee you this citrus bloom additive is changing the resin properties signifigantly, enough to negate health studies done on the plant.

When an additive removes the expectorant property from cannabis vapor, you are asking for all kinds of trouble.And people clamor for it,because.of the non cannabis shoe spray limonene smell..!?

Im beginning to think their are 2 species of human, the natural and the synthetic..

Hopefully SOMEONE knows what Im talking about.