What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

favorite female seeds

Baba Ku

Veteran
I will be nice also. We could talk about this for years. In fact we have.

So why dont we just start a pole and see if breeders would run fem lines if they didnt need to be competitive...

Female seeds are about $$$ and that is it.

Using an intersex plant to breed with does nothing but increase the frequency of intersex plants in the progeny.

Recessive or not having more hermies just waiting for the chance to express themselves is not good breeding.

It is genetic pollution...

A poll of what breeders will or won't do is very subjective and has nothing to do with this issue. We are talking about natural issues here.

Feminizing seeds is a breeders tool. It has merit and is used all the time, no matter what your conventional wisdom may say to you.

I am curious when is the last time you made a cross with a plant that has no intersex gene present? And just how did you determine it was intersex gene free?
Like I have been saying, most each and every plant holds this gene at some level. Finding the ones that do not express this trait when exposed to small stresses such as environmental conditions is the key.
Take for an example I have 5 females that I find acceptable in many traits like resin, smell, taste, high....but I have no idea how well any of them will breed. I do know that all of them grow fine and show no problems in an optimum grow.
I need to present stress to them to see how they react. So, I screw the lighting up a bit or heat things up to see what happens.
(photoperiod and heat stress being the most common with hobby growers)
I find that four of the plants started to throw nanners. They are expressing the natural intersex gene that is within them. They want to survive and they sense a stress that could possibly be detrimental to their survival, so their intersex genes kick in.
But one of the five does not throw nanners at all. In fact it continues on as it was before the stress.
THIS plant is my candidate for a breeder...and it doesn't matter if I are breeding M/F or F/F...the procedure is the same to find a suitable candidate for breeding.

See, that one female plant that was resistant to showing the intersex trait will be a good one to pollinate with a proven male.
It will also make a good candidate for forcing pollen. And this is where the term "forcing" comes into play, because you are taking a plant that won't show intersesx easy, and forcing it to show intersex and produce pollen. This is usually done using silver ions to block ethylene reception in the plant.

The genetic makeup of that females progeny has a good chance of also being of similar genetic makeup, when it comes to the intersex gene...no matter if it is bred to a male or another female.
If you have such a true breeding female, and then find another one...just how is it that these two females, that were stress tested and proved to not show intersex with normal stressers, will be candidates to produce progeny that have a high rate of intersex? Just what magic took place during the F/F breeding that wouldn't have taken place had a male been used? There is no additional magic, only consumer voodoo.
I would much rather use two stress tested, proven true breeding for no intersex trait females, than I would use one of them and Richard Craniums fantastic untested male that he grew of which he has no idea about...all he knows is it is big, stinky, shows resin, and makes pollen.

It is Richard Cranium and his pal Pollen Chuck that are the ones you should be pointing your condemning finger at. They are the irresponsible ones that use untested males and they are the ones that PASS ON THE INTERSEX GENE in dominant fashion. THEY are the ones polluting the gene pool, as you put it.
Have you ever made a cross with an untested male? Are you part of the group that hangs out with Richard Cranium, et al?

Also, let me ask you this...have you ever heard reports about specific breeders offering up seeds that people find hermies in all the time? I mean, surely I don't need to mention names for you to know what I am talking about? (it would be subcool for be to mention names I think, don't you?)
Why do these breeders offering show nanners all the time? If you really understand the issue of polluting the gene pool with intersex gene, then I don't have to explain it.

bigAl25

Veteran
Hey BabaKU, do you ever cross the Ohio? Is Gatewood still running for gov? Love to visit Maker Mark distillery when I see my grandaughters.

xcrispi

Hey bat ,
Are you looking for Indica , Sativa or Hybrid type stuff ?
I found Female Seed Cos. Iced Grapefruit to be really nice stash and really stable and uniforn as well - the grapefruit / citrus C99 really stands out - I just ordered a bunch more myself . I found a pheno of their Black Widow - 2 showed up BTW, the taller lankier pheno was junked - shorter kept and I've had patients tell me it's my best meds in 22 yrs. Sweet Seed Co. SAD held all the same qualities I spoke about in the I/G above and yielded insane for being topped only once - let it finish and you'll do the "Thorazine Shuffle" it's heavy duty shit man.
Crispi

mdk ktm

I have grown 75-100 feminized seeds, and 100+ standard seeds. They were from many different breeders, and I would go as far as saying I have NEVER had an issue with fem seeds. The only time I had males was from a fem 5 pack of PPP from nirvana, every single plant was a full blown male. That was the only little issue, but since it was the entire pack, I would say something went wrong with the breeding or something. I just did a run of 35 fem seeds, and every single one was a female. Sure I culled a few runts, but I always have to do that. People claiming female seeds are inferior must just be in denial. The only negative about female seeds is that you can never make f2's. If you find a real special girl, you will have to cross her with a different strain if you cant get a male of that specific strain.

Baba Ku

Veteran
A pack of males is only a coincidence and no breeding problems brought it about.

And if you find a special girl, you can always force her or her siblings to make pollen and make all the F2's you want.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Got sensi star in veg, look good so far. I had gread results with sour deisel fems made by Gold King, but dutch passion blue moonshine just sucked, 3 of 3 medeocre.

I like the idea of adding a bud to stash easily, fems are ideal for that.

kaneboy

world of seeds madness heavy strain
female seeds northern lights excellent
dna la confidental and rocklock suck

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've ran both and though I'm not a breeder, I will say that I cant tell a difference in between the feminized seed or the regular. I like nirvana's AI & PPP.

Baba Ku

Veteran
1:1 feminized breeding severly limits the genetic diversity(sp?) within the strain being worked.
Is that a pearl of wisdom you are providing us with? Didn't you just recently learn about the term 1:1....like yesterday?
Tell us, Stagger lee...what would you call a breeding of a female to itself? 1:1 or .5:.5 ?
Also, how many lines available today are from other than 1:1 breeding?
And if you find a standard 1:1 bred seed for sale (in every bank you look and is most of what you see) wouldn't you consider a female seed that was bred using multiple alleles far more genetically diverse?
And if so, it would be clear that the female offering was a superior product, yes?

btw...you got diversity correct, it was severely that you missed....

No I learned it from chimera's post in the WTF's w/feminized thread about 3 months ago and if ya go to it you'll see that a day or 2 ago I brought up this same question(that another member also asked) asking just the basics about it and whether standard genetics 1female x 1male would be considered 1:1 breeding. Dont know whats up w/your hardcore stance against any1 that brings up their bad experience w/feminized genetics? IMO Chimera's post about 1:1 breeding in that thead was by far the most important info brought into the thread. And for some reason it didnt sit very well w/you, and btw thanx but I could careless about the neg rep or hoosiers point of view on feminized. We dont agree,you let me know, thats fine but I really dont see whats wrong w/passing on important info. Especially since Chimera's not around anymore to add to it. Can you? Im all ears!

Baba Ku

Veteran
Chimera had nothing negative to say about feminizing seeds in that thread.

The statement you made is true be it female breeding or male/female breeding. There is absolutely no difference in the limiting of genetics with a 1:1 breeding of either one, other than the lack of a male chromosome in the feminized seeds.

You must feel that feminized seeds are more detrimental in a 1:1 breeding than a standard 1:1, since you entered the info in a female seeds thread. But I assure you it has nothing to do with the feminizing part of the breeding scheme.

Yes, a true selfing is more genetically limiting than a 1:1 mating (no matter if a feminized breeding or a m/f) and does indeed limit the material available at meiosis. But unless you are buying seeds of a known clone only, you are not buying selfs.

Baba Ku why if what I said was true, are you trying to snowball it into something personal.Why shouldnt some1 that buys/grows shitty fem seeds be able to mention it w/out being labled a hater? Creating worthy feminised seeds is about proper selection. So why is it so hard to believe there are (greedy) breeders hastly making feminized seeds and selling them. Mabey they didnt make the proper selections and as a result when the seeds are grown in a stressful environment they have intersex(herm) issues. Its obviously not a case where all feminized are good or all bad!! there should be no arguement at all! Some1 that says theres nothing wrong w/feminized seeds Ive had great success w/several dif strains, or some1 that posts feminized are less stable, and hermy prone and poor quality, both are missing the point! neither are completely right or wrong! Like I said I know it comes down to proper selection, and whether the breeder knows what theyre doing. some feminized are worthy but some are also shitty hermy prone waste of time and money. No dif from any standard seeds!

Goyakla

Try "purle picone" from Sargamatha..... one of the best i have grown.. xtrong stone.. easy to clone and taste wonderfull.. and NO hermies at all,, but youll have to look for her.. diff. seedbanks

Baba Ku

Veteran
Well, stagger lee...this thread is about favorite female seeds. Do you have a favorite? Can you even comment on a favorite?
Perhaps you tell us what females seeds were bred poorly and need to be avoided?

Latest posts

Latest posts