What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How can I clean my kief screen?

I usually sift, dry whole buds and don't have this problem. I'm working with a half ounce of a particular strain, and the trichomes are very sticky. Looking down at my screen, seems like more then every other hole is plugged!

I don't want any ISO wash ect..

Could I put the screen in a very low humidity environment, and dry way the fuck out, then card the screen for them to fall thru?

I don't have too many ideas on this one. Id' personally want to save the kief if possible

Any help with be awesome :headbange

G

I use to have that same prob until i got an S & M screen these thing are the cats ass finest keif i have ever made. But very expensive but worth every penny

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
If you are using a screen frame you can take upper part (top part you put bud in) lay it face down on a table, glass etc. Take a can of $5 compressed air (found at most office supply stores) and blow the air through the bottom which wll dislodge any large heads.

C

Chamba

the best way to make a screen perfectly clean like brand new is with alcohol and a small brush

alcohol will not harm either synthetic, steel or silk meshes and works like a charm!

alcohol will not harm (unfinished, unpainted) wooden frames...but make sure to test painted or lacquered wood or metal frames first. If alcohol affects the test area, just make sure when painting the mesh screen with alcohol not to get any on the frames (which not as hard as it seems)

1) place the screen frame over a glass or metal catching tray or plate.

2) use a small (clean) paint brush and paint the mesh with alcohol.

3) the alcohol will drip down onto the plate and can be air dried,, scraped and smoked (or not...as there usually isn't alot of resin residue left there..but that depends on how filthy with resin it is...usually I don''t bother as the previous times I've cleaned clogged mesh screens, the dried scraped up remainder was barely enough to catch a buzz with..and I'm not fan of inhaling petro-chemo extractions)

*edit...I forgot to mention to paint both sides of the mesh screen!

4) the alcohol evaporates quickly and you are left with a very clean screen that air dries in minutes.

yeah, Chief, compressed air works too,,,but any trichomes that are blown through the mesh are lost aren't they?...and most of the squashed, ruptured resin heads mght still be glued/attached to the mesh.

Happy kiffing!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

I use to have that same prob until i got an S & M screen these thing are the cats ass finest keif i have ever made. But very expensive but worth every penny

"S & M" must stand for the masochistic pain you get from the price the sados charge for those screens!...damn! they are overpriced!...you could just about buy a beautiful "Gypsy Nirvana dual screen frame stash box" that looks great and also locks!..check out www.seedbay.com or www.seedboutique.com for special prices...(though it's not strickly for drysifting ..it's smoker's box that stores your tools, herb and can be used for kiffing too!)

eventually S&M will wake up and get with the programme by producing multi-screen kits with deeper screen frame capacity, better lid seal and hopefully realistic pricing for what is basically a converted/re-labelled screen printing frame!

happy dry sifting!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

I usually sift, dry whole buds and don't have this problem.

what do you do with the buds once the outer trichomes have been shaken off? sell them?

C

Chamba

i think he didnt want to use a solvent so he could smoke the kif without possible solvent residues.

if you look at a used mesh screen with magnification, you'll see that it's mostly smudged or ruptured resin heads causing blockage along with resin head stalks and other crap that adheres to the sticky stuff...i doubt that compressed air or freezing will dislodge the smudged trics nearly as effective as alcohol and a brush

but if iso is not your thing then using compressed air does a good job...it's really quick and mess free

Last edited:
Chamba said:
I usually sift, dry whole buds and don't have this problem.

what do you do with the buds once the outer trichomes have been shaken off? sell them?

after that, I lightly grind the buds for another kief run, then into the BHO tube.

After that I sell the kiefed twice / BHO buds to 12 year olds :headbange

lol, joking on the last part obviously. I never sell any of my precious buds

thanks for the help everyone! :smoker:

C

Chamba

on a re-read I think my post could of been taken negatively, when it was meant with no malace at all.....good one Smellthefunk420!...thanks for taking the HIGH road!

I've butaned double sifted ganja before ...I've also bubble bagged/ice hashed sifted material too...but usually I just dry sift the material and again and again until 95+% has been removed from the plant material..

i use two or three mesh sizes and always re-sift the resin three times of over each screen

I like dry sifting best (rather than disolving trichomes in petro-chemicals or standing on a wet floor while using electrical equipement!)....it's suits my stoned mind, it's ten times faster, safe, has the best high, best taste etc etc

there's a thousand methods to extract trichomes from ganja....they all usually boil down to a question of quality versus quantity

Happy Dry Sifting!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts