What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shen Zhen Bava vs smilley

smilley

Veteran
A Little More Humor

A Little More Humor

Bava vs smilley mid-fight recap

Going into the third round, smilley pulled out his humidifier and tinkered with the intake and exhaust to achieve perfect VPD. Unfortunately perfect VPD brought with it mould on the exhaust filter and an invasion of the borg. Smilley countered with soap and pyrethrum and the borg were vanquished . As the round came to an end smiley muttered something about never learning from past mistakes. (Round 3 Bava 3, smilley 0)

Between rounds smilley busied himself rolling a blueberry hash reefer from the 90 micron screen. Starke, Buckeye and GorillaGanja offered encouragement while primobud offered to help smilley smoke the hash reefer. “What kinda friend would I be if I let you go back in too stoned?” said primobud as he bogarted the joint. Smilley thanked him for his compassion and the bell rang for round 4.

In round 4 smilley was all business. He cleaned the exhaust filter, replaced the charcoal, removed the humidifier, opened all the vents and maxxed out the exhaust fan. Huh? Thought smiley “who would have thought I’d get good temps, good humidity and good growth by doing what I’ve been doing for years?” “It must have been the hash reefer that gave me clarity of thought? Is there anything marijuana can’t do?” Meanwhile, the Bava lamp smiled down on the clones “grow my Precious, grow...”. The bell rang ending the round. (Round 4 Bava 1, smilley 2)

Sitting in his corner between rounds, smilley thought to himself “I know what I’m doing now, I’m the greatest”. The crowd was ominously quiet not knowing what to expect next and not knowing how such an idiot could get a shot at the high tech Bava fixture. Shouting across the ring at Bava smilley bellowed “you’re not as bright as you think you are Bava, I’m gonna teach you some manners...”.

Round 5 began as the stretch was in full swing. Confidently, smilley upped the flowering nutes and watched the clones stretch towards the Bava fixture. Studying the plants, smilley thought to himself “I wonder how close is too close?” Looking a little closer, smilley saw some tip burn on the center plant and realized he was too close. Answering his own question he thought “20 inches is too close” and sheepishly raised the lamp to 24 inches. As the round progressed the tip burn spread to other plants and buds further from the lamp and mystified, he wondered “too many nutes??”. Feeling like a newbie, smilley could be seen lowering the PBP nutes from 7.5 to 6ml/4 liters as the round came to an end. (Round 5 Bava 3, smilley 0)

The crowd looked on in stunned silence. Bava stared across the ring to smilley’s corner and laughed “thanks for teaching me some manners, smilley. I hope you enjoy store bought weed because you’re gonna need some this Summer if you continue like this....” Smilley looked around for a reefer but everybody thought he’d had too much already and besides, he may be on rations soon.
(to be continued)

starke

Deep breaths...Woosaw...roll a doob. It's almost time for the seventh inning stretch. Oops, wrong sport - but you get my drift. I am constantly amazed by this plants ability to overcome all sorts of adverse conditions, almost always created by me. Just when I think I have screwed the pooch the plant will pull out it's "weed" genes and continue on. Relax a little.

smilley

Veteran
lol, Thanks starke, I needed that... Just think of me as one of those million monkeys banging on a typewriter in your sig. Instead of Shakespeare, I came up with that stupid narrative.

Day F22

There is a little tip burn but it's minor. I bumped up the feed from 5ml PBP to 7.5 in one shot. I should have walked up the feed over a couple of weeks but I was feeling cocky. I'm getting a bit of a feel for the new fixture and I believe the sweet spot is 22 - 24 inches above the canopy. I've turned the plants at the periphery so that the taller colas are along the outside edge giving the canopy a slightly concave appearance.

The footprint has been tightened up to about 3.5ft x 3.5ft and I'll leave it like that till the C99s (center row) are harvested at about 9 weeks. Then I'll reconfigure. All in all, things are looking pretty good in the garden.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
GG - Thanks man, I got off to a rocky start but things are improving. Bit more of a learning curve than I expected with the qb's. The intensity is remarkable.

Bmac - Hope things are going good for you. Still running the CMH?

Day F29

The following pics were taken with my new 20mp phone. I'll go back to the 35mm for the rest of the thread.

The girls are through the stretch and starting to tric up. I've got to get into the crop and pluck some leafs. The tip burn is behind us but quite visible as a record of my folly. There is some leaf bleaching from letting the canopy get to 20 inches from the fixture. I'm running the fixture now at 24 inches and things are looking pretty good. All of the new sugar leafs are tip burn free and I won't be letting the canopy get any closer to the lamp than it is now. I'm wondering if 25 - 26 inches might be even better?

There's still not much to see so here's a few pics from around the garden. Next week I'll start featuring the 3 different hybrids.

picture.php

picture.php

C99
picture.php

Blueberry
picture.php

Purple Kush x Blueberry
picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
Yes sir, still running the cmh. Gotta get it fired up here again in the next day or so to get a crop in before summer shutdown.

SuperBadGrower

Do you think it would be better if you could space out the panels or do you think it's not necessary? Have you noticed any differences in plant morphology compared with HPS at this early stage?

smilley

Veteran
SBG - I was wondering the same thing about the panel spacing. They seem to be spaced tighter than the HLG 550. I suspect this is for cost savings, smaller heat sink, lower price. I'll have a better idea when I dry and weigh the plants but as is, the fixture seems to light up the 4ft x 4ft space nicely.

The plants didn't seem to stretch as much as I was expecting. It's hard to tell since I switched from bare bulb vertical to a horizontal canopy. Also, the last 3 years I was growing from seed only, this time clones. The clones don't stretch nearly the way seed plants do. It's too early to tell anything about bud density. I'm really happy with what I'm seeing and from my perspective there is no going back to HID.

smilley

Veteran
Day F36

Day F36

Almost half-way through the grow. The girls are taking up about half a gallon of moisture each, weekly. I've been plucking off fans and damaged leafs daily. My rule of thumb is if half the leaf is yellowing, I pull it off. I had quite a bit of light bleaching from getting too close earlier in flower but all in all, the plants are healthy and content.

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
This week I'm featuring the C99. They came from Blimburn Seeds. I bought a 3 pack, they all grew and were all very similar. So far, I haven't gotten them to yield well. I think the biggest yield was 30g from one plant, all the rest were smaller. They have the best spot in the garden this time so hopefully I'll get some extra weight.

I won't be growing them again next season. I didn't think they were remarkable in any way. The bud is fairly potent, has a decent taste but were small and had very little odor. Seems every seed maker has a C99 now so maybe I just got a poor example.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
Day F43

Day F43

picture.php

All the plants are healthy and chugging along. Below are the Blueberry fems. I made this hybrid by crossing a reversed (colloidal silver) Jordan of the Islands blueberry to a BCBD blueberry. I've grown out over 100 of these and they're all very similar. Strong weed, nice taste and good bud structure. They finish in 11 -12 weeks and produce a decent yield.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gorilla ganja

Wow they look great smilley, So those blueberry still have a month and a half to go?
If they keep up that pace they will have some monster buds.
Keep up the good work

Peace GG

smilley

Veteran
Hi GG. Yup, they should go 11 - 12 weeks. For some reason the BB's fans went yellow this week. It looked like lockout to me so I flushed them. They were looking like they were almost ready for harvest but they still have 4 - 5 weeks to go.

The C99's are on straight water now. About 10 days from harvest.

I apologize for my poor photography abilities. Years ago I would set up a photo shoot, take dozens of pics, edit them and whittle them down to a handful of good ones. I don't have the time or desire anymore.

Day F49

The plants are chugging along nicely except for the BB's (back row) which prematurely yellowed as I mentioned earlier.

picture.php

Today I'm featuring the Purple Kush x Blueberry. I made these feminized seeds by crossing the JOTI feminized pollen to a Crop King Seeds female Purple Kush. I only got a dozen seeds as the pollen was getting old. Lots of variation from seed to seed. The weed is strong, very good tasting and stinks to high heaven. It finishes like the BB's, 11 -12 weeks, a decent yielder. I have six seeds left and I'll grow a few of them next season. My favorite at the moment.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
Day F55

Day F55

Here's a couple of pics of the center C99. It's from a different mother than the other 2 C99's. It's the only one showing any color.

picture.php

picture.php

The following pic is of the other pheno. All green bud and lots of them on this girl.

picture.php

They're almost done, a few more days to let the lower buds ripen a bit more.