What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Having problems growing with my led strips.

easytoker

I've recently put together a diy led light using 9x "BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3"
strips mounted onto a aluminum frame I made and driven by a hlg-185h-c1050a. The lights footprint is 18 inches deep and 24 inch wide. It turned out great, It's bright as fuck and I know that doesn't mean anything to plants but just comparing it to other lights it's pretty damn bright. It runs cool even with the driver turned all the way up which according to my killawatt is 220W. The problem is I'm having a horrible time trying to actually grow with it. I'm not a huge experienced grower like a lot of folks here but I have a few under my belt with pretty good success. This is my first time growing with LED! My past grows have used HPS and I did very well with it but damn it's hot as fuck and I live in a state where it's fucking hot as hell in the summertime so I figured a led would help in the summertime. I've never tried this led before and just got it together this winter and decided to try it. I'm not sure if it's too cool to use in the winter or not and I'll touch more on that latter ..if temps are playing a issue in my failure ....but I'm actually have to use a space heater in the room right not to try and keep the room around 80F. I'm wondering if just using hps might be a better option for winter since it put off a lot of heat as a by product...I'm assuming running a space heater is negating my power conservations of the leds. Anyways...I digress...I'm just having a very frustrating time trying to grow with this led lighting. My plants just don't seem to respond and look tired and sick and eventually the leafs tips start to turn brown and that works its way up to eventually turn the whole leaf brown and crunchy. I've raised the leds, brought them down closer ..turned up the watts and turned them down. Sometimes the plants seem like they are starting to respond as in they start to raise their leafs up like they do under the hps instead of droop down. But, a few days will go by and not much growth at all and then I see what looks like nutrient deficiency but it's not. I'm using the same stuff , dynagro, that I've used in dwc and hempy before. I even bought some ph perfect nutes just to make sure and to help take ph out of the question even though my meter says it's fine. What's so frustrating is I can take the plants right from under the leds and put them under my hps at the same wattage and within 24hrs the difference is big. The plants start to respond as in the leaves are perky and the plant seems to get more color to it and there's some little growth. Nothing else changes except just simply moving them from under the leds to the hps. My research so far seems like it might be a heat issue or lack of heat in the case. Since the hps puts off IR it really has that penetrating heat whereas the leds are just warm, I mean you can feel the penetrating heat of the hps with your hand vs the leds just feeling warm. The room with the leds running only is about 70F @ 18% humidity and about 75F at the canopy. I've tried lowering the leds and turning them up a little to get the canopy more in the 80's because with the hps at the same distances put the canopy at about 86/88F. The leds brought down too close or too high to try and get the temps in the 80's seems to be causing what I'm experiencing for the first time as light burn so ...I've found again in my research that keeping leds about 12 inches to 18 inches away from the canopy is best. I've moved the leds up to 12 inches at it's running at 180W ---to about 220W in my testing. I also brought in a space heater and am now heating the rom up to about 78-80F and also I've deployed a humidifier to get the humidity up to about 40-50% This has seemed to help but still the plants just look so stuck and eventually they start to have the brown spots appear on the leaves again...back under the hps and a few days they are exploding again. I'm so frustrated .... anybody experienced this? There's a ton of guys using the same led strips I am and the same drivers and having awesome success. I just have a hard time understanding this.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
What is your feed strength? By that I mean your EC. LEDs tend to need more nutrients than HPS.

What is your wattage per square foot? How big of a area are your lights covering?

Is this veg or flower?

easytoker

Here are some pics, I guess you can only upload 10.

Attachments

• IMG_20181108_164414.jpg
    IMG_20181108_164414.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190126_203436.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203436.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20190126_203446.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203446.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190126_203545.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203545.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190126_203649.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203649.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190126_203725.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203725.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190126_203720.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203720.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190126_203714.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203714.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190126_203706.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203706.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190126_203657.jpg
    IMG_20190126_203657.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 32

easytoker

I'm showing my hps in one photo to show it's just a 150 but I've vegged and flowered under a 400 with awesome success several times now, I have a few new sprouts under it so ignore them. These all are going back under the hps for awhile so they can recover. The space is a 48x24 wire shelf wrapped in panda film but the cab I wanted to build is a 36x18 so the light is enough for that space. Even now plants directly under the led light are having this issue so it shouldn't be an issue where they were off to the sides in that space and not getting light. I have a ppm meter and I've tried hydro and hempy buckets as you can see that one cup with just perlite with a dynagro mixed at about 600pm. My water is coming out at 200ppm and I adjust the ph to 5.8-6.2. As I was saying I thought my ph pen might be broke so I bought some ph perfect ...fucking expensive....and not much change and then I checked my pen with some calibration solution and it was good. Besides the hydro ...I've tried in soil and get the same dam results. I replanted them all last night and decided to get some miracle gro soil that has the 6mo slow release ferts in it just to try and save them until I can figure what I'm doing wrong. I'm just baffled that once under the smallest hps I have , 150 , they start to act like happy plants again.

iBogart

Veteran
What's your medium? Coco? Looks like potassium is getting locked out. Light burn looks like potassium deficiency as well. Raise your lights

easytoker

Yes it looks like that. I've tried several mediums that I've all used before such as dwc, perlite hempy's and just soil. I'm using the same nuts and the same strength and the individual stages as I have before using dynagro foliage pro. The only thing I've changed is the light. Somebody else on another forum said it's probably due to VPD since they get better with hps light. I need to read more on this. What's the general rule of thumb for distance from the tops vs how much wattage the leds are putting out? My driver goes from about 120W to 220W with adjusting it.

iBogart

Veteran
Yes it looks like that. I've tried several mediums that I've all used before such as dwc, perlite hempy's and just soil. I'm using the same nuts and the same strength and the individual stages as I have before using dynagro foliage pro. The only thing I've changed is the light. Somebody else on another forum said it's probably due to VPD since they get better with hps light. I need to read more on this. What's the general rule of thumb for distance from the tops vs how much wattage the leds are putting out? My driver goes from about 120W to 220W with adjusting it.

Since it seems like a light burn issue, I'd start them out at 30 inches from the tops. I would also invest in a cheap lux meter and keep it 40k lux going into flower. 25k lux in veg until you get a feel for your lights and this strain. Under Hps 80k lux is about the max you want to go. Enjoy the journey.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The room with the leds running only is about 70F @ 18% humidity and about 75F at the canopy.
That's awesome for a hot environment. I prefer 72F as my max canopy temp, especially with such wonderfully low humidity. Can you possibly drop the room temp a couple degrees? You'll see higher terpene retention with a 70F canopy temp. :)

These are conditions you find during flower in the best hash producing regions of the world. :tiphat:

easytoker

That's awesome for a hot environment. I prefer 72F as my max canopy temp, especially with such wonderfully low humidity. Can you possibly drop the room temp a couple degrees? You'll see higher terpene retention with a 70F canopy temp. :)

These are conditions you find during flower in the best hash producing regions of the world. :tiphat:

Well, it's winter right now...it's 30F outside. My summers are rough months of 100F + temps.

I think it has something to do with temp...If I place them under my 150W hps which is what I use to veg for cuttings they start to do much better but under the led they start to look sick. I've used my IR thermometer to see what the leaf temp is under the hps and with that IR penetrating the leaf it's about 85F and they fucking love it. In fact they are acting like the grows I've done in the past using 400 / 600W hps...they just love it. This time I wanted to try leds and something isn't working. People at rollitup and saying it's nute burn and the solo cups are smothering them and causing root bound. But, I'm only feeding what I've fed in the past which is about 1/4 to 1/2 strength of dynagro. I've also just transplanted into new sold and they were not root bound. Do you have any suggestions on a lux meter ..a brand or specific one? How about this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-LX1...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KSZPHVXE73JTRZPNM0D6

Douglas.Curtis

You get the dry air with the heat, I used a/c for years to keep things cool. You get the same dry conditions at 2 miles above sea level, but it's cold. lol Up there you can use outside air for cooling about 75% of the year. :D

Your plants look overfed and burning up. Usual suggestions are using less feed or using more light (if you're under say 25wpsqft).

easytoker

You get the dry air with the heat, I used a/c for years to keep things cool. You get the same dry conditions at 2 miles above sea level, but it's cold. lol Up there you can use outside air for cooling about 75% of the year. :D

Your plants look overfed and burning up. Usual suggestions are using less feed or using more light (if you're under say 25wpsqft).

That's what some others are saying...they look nute burned. I'm just having a issue wrapping my head around that as I'm feeding them a mild dose and the ppm is the same as past grows which were awesome but used hps. I'm going to get a lux meter off amazon.

Douglas.Curtis

That's what some others are saying...they look nute burned. I'm just having a issue wrapping my head around that as I'm feeding them a mild dose and the ppm is the same as past grows which were awesome but used hps. I'm going to get a lux meter off amazon.
Probably a good idea. :) Sorry I don't have any experience with Lux meters. With 220w you should be covering at least 8 square feet.

Latest posts

Latest posts