What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm collecting stuff locally (mostly) for my soil mix at my winter home in Mexico. I got 6 fifty pound (approx.) bags of beautiful looking topsoil for the equivalent of 12 US dollars (2 bucks each) and 10.50 for 3 big bags of composted woody debris. The sand is left over from cement work. I'm getting some local vermicompost delivered which is not yet priced but it is some of the finest I've every assayed.
The garden supply is getting in some Premier brand peat moss next week so I cannot resist. Across the road is a pile of old horse manure and the hardware store across the road sells pumice. Paradise found.

picture.php

Does anyone want to guess what type of stone this is? It is white stone sold for decorative dressing on soil in potted plants. To the eye it looks like limestone and feels rough but does not break so easily.

picture.php

picture.php

Hookahhead

The stone looks like quartz based to me? Add a drop of HCL to it, most likely it won't have any reaction.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The stone looks like quartz based to me? Add a drop of HCL to it, most likely it won't have any reaction.

I suspect you are correct. It should make a good drainage component. I guess we are almost neighbors kinda.

bigbadbiddy

Maaan paradise indeed.

I can't even get earth worm castings reliably and locally here in Europe.

Anyone I ask just looks at me going "What you want with worm poop? Just throw some of the good blue stuff on there" .....

Really a shame how in "developed" countries, you can't even get the most basic components for farming...

They all just use pre-blended, pre-mixed brand name fertilizers that won't even tell you what is really in them ...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I think it is too hard to be calcite but I'll put it in some vinegar to see if it bubbles. I've got muriatic acid but hate handling it. If calcite I can still use it in lesser amounts.

Hookahhead

I guess we are almost neighbors kinda.

We're probably still pretty far away from each other depending on where at in Mexico you are. I'm more the southern end of Central America, closer to the equator. I think our max daylight is 12.5-13 hours.

Are you planning on growing out local strains or BYOB (Bring your own beans)?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We're probably still pretty far away from each other depending on where at in Mexico you are. I'm more the southern end of Central America, closer to the equator. I think our max daylight is 12.5-13 hours.

Are you planning on growing out local strains or BYOB (Bring your own beans)?

Yes we are quite distant, although closer than where I hang my other hat in Canada:) I am north of CDMX in the central highlands.

Right now, I'm interested in growing some lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, dandelions, red clover and some local medicinal herbs. I may grow a couple of local plants. My cultivars are still in Canada.

I will follow the legalization process here and might grow more as permitted.

h.h.

Veteran
I didn't think it would bubble. Must not be too hard.
Different part of the Continent. Things were formed a little different and surface a little different.
Any local source of yucca?
Interesting cacti?

BasicallyBasic

I'm almost right on the equator and I am looking into soil ingredients that can be locally sourced. My issue is getting the peat moss. When I lived in North America I could just buy a cheap bail from any nursery but the promix bails like I'm used to are imported and super expensive. My Spanish is ok, but I'm not well versed in horticulture terminology. Does anybody know if Turba Rubia Sustrato will work well in my soil mix? The description says it's ph 4. Translates to blond peat...are there any risks to using a peat moss that isn't from Canada? My other option is to use coco which is cheap down here. Any advice?

I'm almost right on the equator and I am looking into soil ingredients that can be locally sourced. My issue is getting the peat moss. When I lived in North America I could just buy a cheap bail from any nursery but the promix bails like I'm used to are imported and super expensive. My Spanish is ok, but I'm not well versed in horticulture terminology. Does anybody know if Turba Rubia Sustrato will work well in my soil mix? The description says it's ph 4. Translates to blond peat...are there any risks to using a peat moss that isn't from Canada? My other option is to use coco which is cheap down here. Any advice?

If your close to the tropics then Cocos going to be your best option. No point in sourcing things from the other end of the continent. Youre going to want a different mineral mix than if using peat but other than that there shouldn't be much difference.

BasicallyBasic

If your close to the tropics then Cocos going to be your best option. No point in sourcing things from the other end of the continent. Youre going to want a different mineral mix than if using peat but other than that there shouldn't be much difference.

The blond peat and coco are cheap but the Canadian peat is way too expensive.
I'm assuming that I will need to add some lime to the peat seeing as the ph is around 4...
attached is a picture of the product

Attachments

• turba rubia.JPG
    turba rubia.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 54

redlaser

Veteran
Sounds like another interesting project Microbeman. I’m curious how you will handle the trace element needs with your mix, would the topsoil and sand be enough?

I’m working with Premier peat w/ pumice as well, still making adjustments on its third year of use. High iron and aluminum after initial mix, probably from rock dust application, have been able to flush some of that out.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Yes we are quite distant, although closer than where I hang my other hat in Canada:) I am north of CDMX in the central highlands.

Right now, I'm interested in growing some lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, dandelions, red clover and some local medicinal herbs. I may grow a couple of local plants. My cultivars are still in Canada.

I will follow the legalization process here and might grow more as permitted.
How R U bringing soil into Canada from Mexico? It's not really the plant or tree CBP is concerned with but, the dirt!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like another interesting project Microbeman. I’m curious how you will handle the trace element needs with your mix, would the topsoil and sand be enough?

I’m working with Premier peat w/ pumice as well, still making adjustments on its third year of use. High iron and aluminum after initial mix, probably from rock dust application, have been able to flush some of that out.

I'm still looking for rock/clay dusts but the vermicompost should have much of what I need.

Hookahhead

I'm almost right on the equator and I am looking into soil ingredients that can be locally sourced.

Look for coco coir (fibre de coco). I live in a large agricultural area. I buy it from the big agriculture/veterinary stores, I pay around 6$ for a 5kg block.

The other really good thing to look for here is rice hulls (grana de arroz). Its a great perlite substitute! It comes from a industrial waste stream instead of a mine, it's biodegradable, and it's high in silica. What more could you ask for really?

A lot of sugar is produced in my area, so they are practically giving molasses (mollasse) away. It's so cheap they spray it on dirt roads to keep the dust down during the dry season. I bought a gallon jug for 1.50 and later learned that I could have brought my own jug and saved a dollar!

Some other things I've been able to source locally... English (Spanish)

Compost (Compost)
Horse manure (caca de caballo)
Cow manure (caca de vaca)
Chicken manure (caca de pollo)
Sheep manure (caca de oveja)
Goat manure (caca de cabra)
Cricket frass (caca de grillos)
Ash (ceniza)
River sand (arena de rio)
Agricultural lime (cal agrícola)

Good luck, if you need any help let me know!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lombricomposta - vermicompost
composta - compost [some pronunciations]

Where is the blond peat from?
Be aware rice hulls are not good for drainage long term - as in notill because they degrade.