What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If I Grew where the Kitty Litter gets dumped ...

St. Phatty

I would want to know the NPK.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/cat-feces-in-compost.htm

Good web page, says it has extra ("2 1/2") Nitrogen & a normal amount of P & K. (compared to what, I don't know yet.)

Anyway, the area where I dump the kitty litter is now very thoroughly composted.

The rest of the kitty litter is mostly sand or bark fines or cedar shavings.

Anyway, it seems natural to put a plant there this year and to give her extra P & K, to complement its Kitty Litter Dumping Site origins.

T

Teddybrae

I recall there were times in my youth when homegrown tasted/smelled like cats piss. Doesn't necessarily follow that your plant will though, Saint P. Give it a go! You may be able to see in the dark afterwards. You may even begin a trend!

(I think Switcher's got cabin fever at present. Too much White, Too far North.)

There was or is a strain called cat piss. I think it was made up to explain the smell of ammonia in improperly dried, cured bud.
But I digress, If as you stated the area is composted I doubt any excess Nitrogen exists that may cause problems. Try it and let us know.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Catpiss is bangin.. great high..

But growing in really strong cat littery soil idk.. i mean isnt the soil really over buffered in that.. whats your litter?

The cat has to have toxoplasmosis in the first place and also it wont survive long in soil it needs a host/s.

Classically obligate carnivores carry very high parasite levels and ya know goats, horses, rabbits even guinea pigs all make great manures.. cat shit probably doesnt encourage the ideal microbiota. But who knows.. ive never done it so i dont :dunno:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Have fun getting toxoplasmosis. Not a good idea.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3416395/

dank.Frank

G `day DF

If his cat was carrying the bacteria he would already be thoroughly exposed to it already ...

In a multicenter epidemiological survey, 6 to 17% of infections in pregnant women were attributed to oocysts (4). Using specific antioocyst antibodies, the proportions of infections attributed to oocysts were 43% in women from Chile (17), 78% in mothers of congenitally infected infants in North America (2), and 80% in swine from southern Chile (18).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3416395/

When he is dumping the kitty litter in the yard .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I really don't see how Toxoplasmosis could be contracted by consuming plants grown in cat shit/piss. People would be getting e.coli from growing buds in cow manure. Now if the buds came into direct contact with fresh droppings and you ate them I could see it. There all sorts of parasites in the ground and in the manure we fertilize with. I still would rather not mess with anything that has come out of a cat.

St. Phatty

The cat itself would probably make good fertilizer.

Actually, I thought about contacting the pound to ask if I could have the corpses of the cats they euthanize. Blood & bone meal. But some projects you never get around to. Would use them for planting fruit trees.

I planted about 20 fruit trees this last year, and the one that grew the biggest was a Fuji planted on top of the "Pet Sematary" - a compost pile with a dead deer 2 feet down.

I probably get a little too close to the cats sometimes. They put their feet in my mouth, etc. Actually I just had a recent worm check (for myself). Worm-free.

I will move the official 2019 kitty litter dumping site about 5 yards South.

So everything is old, 2017 & 2018 kitty litter. Been through 1 or 2 rainy seasons & 1 or 2 summer heat's.

At some point, the kitty litter heritage of the area is mostly in our minds. What is left is the slightly fertilized soil.

Gry

Use floor dry as a media.
When done flushing the cannabis
I dry the media and give it to the cats.
They seem fine with it.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love cats (and other animals), but wouldn't grow where they like to urinate or eliminate.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Presumably we are discussing natural litters and not the bentonite clay type.
Yes he already said sand, bark fines, and cedar shavings. I have got the bentonite one piling up and I was wondering what the effect will be on the soil? its horrible stuff once it dries it forms a rock hard lump!

St. Phatty

Use floor dry as a media.
When done flushing the cannabis
I dry the media and give it to the cats.
They seem fine with it.

What's floor dry ? You mean as a grow media ?

https://www.google.com/search?=floor+dry++grow+media

I love cats (and other animals), but wouldn't grow where they like to urinate or eliminate.

But actually we're talking about where they went #1 + #2 (shall we call it #3 ?) months & years ago.

By the same token, some people live right where some dinosaur dropped a VW bug sized turd millions of years ago.

Most of the nutrients from the dinosaur turds are gone.

The undersoil for the kitty litter, is de-composed granite, sand, clay, gravel, and bigger rocks.

So it's a medium-drainage soil that has had dilute NPK from feline sources carried into it, every time it rains or there is snow melting.

I find that almost all the organic material disappears, even the bark fines and the cedar shavings. The area is scratched almost daily by free-range chickens.

I wonder if there is money in writing about #1 & #2.

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+book+of+poop

Yes that's a thing.

If I can make $1 Million writing a book about poop, do I get a reward - other than the $1 Million ?

Maybe that's my Destiny. :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts