What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

leaf tips yellowing in 100% organic grow?

0x99

Hi all!

I'm now 3 days into flower after a 63 day veg and noticing that the leaf tips are all still yellowing. Hoping its not too late to correct this if something is wrong. Since I started using compost tea and bringing my soil to 'life' with microorganisms, they seem extremely healthy except for the tips still. this issue has been persistent throughout the grow, ironically there really hasn't been any necrosis happening, they're just yellowing. At first I thought this was a Cal/Mg issue (still could be?) but I top dressed some dolomite lime about 3 weeks ago and i'm still seeing the new growth with this deficiency/toxicity.

Right now they're in 10Gal pots, but even the clones that are 3 weeks old (in about 3gal of soil) are seeing the same issue. I cant figure this out. Also just fyi I stopped adding cal/mg because I read it was likely killing off my beneficial organisms and tried going the organic route... so right now this is 100% organic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Light is 1200W (660W actual pull) COB LED (about 18" away).

Temp is stable at 75F
Humidity at 35-40%.

Planning on hitting them with another AACT brew in the next 5 days or so.

in the mean time, has anyone seen deficiencies like these with Roots Organic Soil?

iBogart

Veteran
You might be watering too much? Insufficient drainage? Humidity might be too low as well.

Vapor Pressure deficit chart:

vapor_pressure_deficit_relative_humidity_chart_small.jpg

Try to stay in the gold and you should be golden.

Also, get a cheap lux meter and keep the tops of your plants under 80k lux. Some like even less, like 45k lux.

Oh yeah, foliar feeding for deficiencies won;t effect soil ph or microbes. fyi.

Last edited:

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
The thing with organic soil, is nutrients are going to become available as certain components in the soil break down and become simpler compounds that the plants can absorb.

so in theory, microbes working overtime, may make too much nutrient available (or 100 other factors)

Which roots organic soil blend are you using?

0x99

The thing with organic soil, is nutrients are going to become available as certain components in the soil break down and become simpler compounds that the plants can absorb.

so in theory, microbes working overtime, may make too much nutrient available (or 100 other factors)

Which roots organic soil blend are you using?

Makes sense. I'm using Roots Organic Original soil. I read in a few posts that people said you need to add more dolomite to it because its low in cal/mg which I did..

When you say over time they may make too much bioavailable nutrients, does this look like the beginning of nuteburn to you? I was wondering if this was nuteburn potentially. Also I am watering with RO water so my initial thought was that i'm short on cal/mg.

Scrappy-doo

Your pictures aren't showing. Subcool's super soil is known to be hot, so that could explain the tip burn. Also could the aact depending on what's in it and how often you use it. Dolomite lime is something you need to mix into the soil. Top dressing is ineffective because it needs to be wet and in contact with roots to be utilized. If you want to boost mag a lot of organic growers will use epsom salts.

I've been using nothing but roots organic original and green fields for 6 years and I've never had a deficiency because the soil was lacking something. After 17-21 days flower the soil will be completely depleted and does need fertilizing though.

iBogart

Veteran
I didnt think about foliar feeding.. what would you recommend ?

Unless your selling your crop labeled organic or just want to go strictly organic based on morals, you can cheat with foliar feeding. Spray those plants with some Foliage Pro by Dyna-Gro with aloe or something similar to make it stick to the leaves.

I'm gonna agree with another poster and say that super soil is hot and burnt those tips though.

You might be watering too much? Insufficient drainage? Humidity might be too low as well.

Vapor Pressure deficit chart:

View Image

Try to stay in the gold and you should be golden.

Also, get a cheap lux meter and keep the tops of your plants under 80k lux. Some like even less, like 45k lux.

Oh yeah, foliar feeding for deficiencies won;t effect soil ph or microbes. fyi.

foliar feeding will most definitely affect the microbes of the soil

0x99

Your pictures aren't showing. Subcool's super soil is known to be hot, so that could explain the tip burn. Also could the aact depending on what's in it and how often you use it. Dolomite lime is something you need to mix into the soil. Top dressing is ineffective because it needs to be wet and in contact with roots to be utilized. If you want to boost mag a lot of organic growers will use epsom salts.

Weird they show up for me. Can you see this Link?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75268&pictureid=1802655

0x99

Weird they show up for me. Can you see this Link?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75268&pictureid=1802655

Also, the AACT was done twice, about 2 weeks apart. Just used microbemans mix for 4 gallons: 2 cups vermicompost, 5.5 tbsp BSM, (added 1 tbsp mykos) and let it bubble for 36 hours

Scrappy-doo

That just looks like some tip burn. Fairly common with subcool super soil because the mix is hot. Overall your plants look pretty darn happy.. I'd not worry too much unless it progresses but they'll probably be just fine.

0x99

That just looks like some tip burn. Fairly common with subcool super soil because the mix is hot. Overall your plants look pretty darn happy.. I'd not worry too much unless it progresses but they'll probably be just fine.

Whew!! My last grow was riddled with problems.. (I'm assuming the soil Flora was dead or ran out of nutes.. )

Any wagers on what I will yield? 3 plants vegged for 63 days, 3 clones at 3 weeks veg under "1200w" (660w actual). Space is about 4'x5'

Hoping for a pound+ !! This is my second grow doing more than 1 plant. Only got like 6 oz off of two plants last go around but learned a ton in the process.