What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tropical sativas in Thailand - strain on my brain

:woohoo:
A warm welcome to a blistering Siam all friends and lovers of Som Tum and Tom Yum. It's the hot and dry season over here and a good time to be flowering some organic kancha. This is my second year growing and I still have much to learn and experience and look forward to interacting with you dear reader.

I've several aims for this year; grow outdoors, grow in the ground, scale up, increase yield, reduce errors, batch process, and so on. Idea is to run at least two separate grows, one during the dry season and one just after the monsoons, using the same strains as last year - Thai/Laos, Swazi and Durban Poison. They were germinated and grown indoors then moved outside. However, due to security concerns I've moved most of the plants back indoors, baking under Metal Halide and CFLs.

- Swazi - From bagseed picked up earlier this year. Currently 10 weeks old and have been flowering for about 3 weeks. Plants are a little stunted as they were keep in shallow seedtrys too long. Overall a pyramidal shape with side branching.

- Thai -This is a second-generation of the brickweed I grew last year, father was probably a Thai. They are 9 weeks old and have been flowering for 4 weeks. They're also a little stunted but look healthy.

- Durban Poison - This is a second-generation of the DP from 2013, father was probably a Thai. At 8 weeks old and third week flowering, they are lanky with little side-branching.

I'll take some snaps and upload them shortly...

:ying: $hok

How you doing luvaduck and thanks for dropping in. You remind me of my ducks, which I miss very much. For years we kept a family of Muscovy, such lovely creatures, but lost them all to an indentified hungry predator.

It's a controversial topic, but are you a fruit enthusiast and could you also love a durian? Fresh tropical fruit are the best and the other day I picked a few of my favorite fruit Manilkara zapota, the Sapodilla, or Lamut in Thai, yummy.

No time for snaps of the ladies as there are pesky white gnats hovering around the plants. Previously Wally duck had recommended a chemical solution, but I forget the compound's name. Anyway, I've used a spray of organic insect repellant (made from Neem, Citronella and Siam Weed) but it didn't seem to help. So I've gone for a few short sprays of non-organic insect spray instead. Spotted some Daddy Long Legs under a plant which got me wondering about beneficial bugs like Lady Birds higher up the food chain that would make mincemeat of the gnats...

Opps, "indentified" is supposed to be Unidentified, as in UFO (Unidentified Floating Object). This will be edited later.

Good news everyone, the white gnats have been decimated. Better living through chemistry.

About the soil I'm using ... this year I've gone for the KISS approach and the soil is a mix of cow manure, chicken manure mixed with rich husks, coarse coco-hair chunks and potting soil.

The Durban Poison are almost ten weeks old and have been flowering for five weeks.

This was the tallest plant until I topped it...

This shows the typical structure...

No, you are not stoned, that last foto is clearly out of focus, or is it the other way around? :dunno:

Without further ado, with a mango aroma and mystical aura, at almost twelve weeks with five weeks flowering, here’s the Swazi...

Urrgh, have to learn how to use the forum tools. Let's try again -> insert image

This I grew earlier and shows that I can turn a bud into something mango-sized! The scent of the Swazi is similar to the smell from a freshly-picked mango, the area where the stalk meets the fruit.

Happy Thai New Year everyone. We’ve been out and about celebrating, exploring the local area a bit more. Also had the first rain for the year - refreshing.

Meanwhile, the gnats are still there and the spray damaged the plants a little, but not too badly.

This year I scaled up and started with over 60 plants. Currently have about 30 females on the go: Durban Poison 17 plants, Swazi around 9 plants and 4 of the Laos/Thai.

There is a huge difference between the plants in terms of size, shape and development so I'm hesitant to put up many fotos. Gonna flower the ladies for a while longer and see what happens.

Thanks for reading.

Hmong

Veteran
sawadee krap :tiphat:

I'm jumping in here, Thai is always interresting and grown locally it is even more!

good luck

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice pic's of the fruit,some grow here in Hawaii,now how about some pic's of the local boom boom yum yum...

Sawadee krap Hmong, thank you for jumping in with such a warm welcome and good wishes. Love the local stuff, trying to growing it.

G'day hup234 you fruit lover.

Here's the same tree, different mangoes, forming a nice ying-yang shape.

The local pineapple fields...

Next attraction is some boom boom yum yum.

:biggrin:

Sometimes life sucks so I struck upon the brilliant idea of sucking up the pesky white gnats with the vacuum cleaner. It was lots of fun but a home-made spray of soapy water and a herbal concoction seems to be working, hooray.

Boom boom bang bang, one of our cats had kittens and a stray dog wondered onto the land. Speaking of cute, here’s a nice blue-eyed Thai pussy.

A few more weeks and the Durban Poison ladies will be ready, starting to get a little sticky, if you know what I mean. I like this strain for it's "auto-flowering" properties, hope she can perform in the pipe too!

Last year the plants were hit with heavy monsoon rains. The DP got mold and was knocked down. The Swazi also developed a big patch of mold. The plants performed really well considering there was about 2 months of non-stop rain.

T

Terps

Sawas dee krub fellow farang! Nice lookin fruits u got there, i love eating mangos when im puffin on some thai sativa it makes the high even more exciting!

Shame about the budrot, now the wet season us upon us are u going to wait until it finishes or carry on growing? I just threw down 6 beans yesterday so they should be up within the next few days hopefully.

Attachments

• 20140419_085325.jpg
    20140419_085325.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Latest posts