What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hexane Honey Oil extraction and alchemy

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As there appears to be new interest in hexane extraction, I thought I would start a hexane thread, instead of continuing to hijack the BHO and ISO threads.

At Skunk Pharm Research, LLC, we use an HPLC reagent grade hexane, which we acquire from the local scientific supply store.

Like butane, hexane is a simple alkane, but it has two more carbon atoms and four more hydrogen's, which makes it completely insoluble in water. Pentane, with five carbons in the chain, is the first completely insoluble alkane.

It's longer chain gives it a higher specific gravity and higher boiling point than butane. Hexane boils at 69C/156.2F, versus 0.6C/30.9F for butane, which makes it more difficult to purge.

It can be purged under heat and vacuum using thin film techniques, or simply washed in ethanol, which boils at 78C/172.4F.

Our sensory perception threshold for hexane is 30ppm and OSHA TWA limits for breathing it 8 hours, is 500 ppm, so we can detect its gasoline like taste far below TLV.

Because of its insolubility in water, you can soak plant material in hexane without picking up water solubles.

Using hexane requires close attention to safety issues, as it is highly flammable and even lower explosive limits than butane when used in an unventilated area.

Hexane's lower explosive limits is 1.2% of atmosphere, and its upper explosive limits are 7.7, as compared to lower limits of 3.3% for ethanol and 1.8% for butane. Except for well ventilated lab conditions, hexane extraction and alchemy is best done outdoors, with a fan blowing away and dispersing the vapors as they are given off.

Pentane and Hexane are the components of light naphtha, or white gasoline, and should be treated with the same care and respect.

Needless to say that it a no smoking or toking activity, so leave the lighter and smokes out of reach, lest you reach for them automatically.

Besides open flame, static sparks can ignite the fumes, so don't do hexane extractions wearing plastic clothes, especially on cold dry days.

Using glass wear to contain highly flammable liquids carries drop and splash dangers, which I am going to draw your attention to, but confess that I routinely use lab glass wear with flammables in it and that the hexane itself usually comes in a glass jug.

A stainless steel thermos for the soak portion of the process, could achieve the same effects however, without the same breakage danger.

Ambient temperature is important, and hexane has a relatively high vapor pressure of 151mm Hg @ 25C/77F, so it is important to keep the mixture relatively cool for long soaks or use a vented container to control pressure buildup.

I use hexane for both extraction and cannabis alchemy. Because it is relatively expensive, it is usually more cost effective to do the initial extraction with another less expensive solvent and use a lesser volume of hexane to polish it afterwards.

For extraction I simply fill a jar about 2/3rd full of material that I have broken up to about coarse rolling size, and fill the jar to the 3/4 level with hexane. I shake well, loosen the lid to release the pressure, seal it again, and set aside. I periodically repeat the shake and pressure relief steps, for up to 12 hours.

At the end of the soak, I pour the mixture in a strainer, and press the material to force as much hexane out of the plant material as possible. I then filter through a coffee filter or a Wattman # 1.

You can do the initial purge of the hexane by simply setting it aside in a pie plate to evaporate, and can speed that up by setting the pie plate in hot water and blowing air over it, if you aren't in a dusty setting.

You can also boil off the hexane in a double boiler, with either hot water or hot oil as the medium in the pot, and can speed that up with vacuum. See attached pictures of thin film vacuum purging, as well as a ghetto rig in a fruit jar:

That brings us back to final purge, and as I noted above, if you don't have vacuum equipment, final purging can also be done by washing in ethanol. Washing is done by re-dissolving the raw HHO in ethanol and boiling the ethanol off. The higher boiling point of the ethanol and the scrubbing action of the alcohol molecules boiling off, will take the remaining hexane molecules with it, while keeping the process temperature below 173F.

Re-dissolving in ethanol also allows the interim step of winterizing, by which you place the ethanol HHO mixture in the freezer for a couple of days until the waxes coagulate and can be filtered out, before evaporating away the alcohol.

While it can be used for extractions, where hexane really shines, is cannabis alchemy. For instance, you can extract the cannabinoids with ISO, Methanol, or Denatured alcohol and after reducing the volume of the alcohol through evaporation, when it reaches a convenient and ecconomical handling volume, mix it with equal parts of hexane and super saturated salt water.

If you agitate that and place it in a separatory funnel to separate, the hexane will rise to the top with the cannabinoids and the water and alcohol mixture will sink to the bottom, where they can be bled off. See picture of separatory funnel, as well as ghetto Ziploc bag version of a separatory funnel.

Lastly, we use hexane to isomerize or make cannabis acetate. That involves reflux boiling the hexane cannabis oil mixture in sulfuric acid, or acetic anhydride.

More on that later:

Attachments

• Improptu separation.jpg
    Improptu separation.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Vacuum purge setup.jpg
    Vacuum purge setup.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Thin film evaporation.jpg
    Thin film evaporation.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Vacuum purging in hot water and a fruit jar.jpg
    Vacuum purging in hot water and a fruit jar.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Separatory funnel.jpg
    Separatory funnel.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Washing with saline solution.jpg
    Washing with saline solution.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Blow job.jpg
    Blow job.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Yarkand

Wow !!!
Really cool graywolf !!! Love the whole setup you have there + super vac pump you have there !

Thanks for the great pics and thread dude :tiphat:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Tagged...gotta go look up some words and read this some more..love your stuff GW.. when it absolutly matters (expolsions/poisons).... learn from a Pro...

Why has your Limited Liability Corporation chosen n-hexane as a solvent for a product people will consume? That chemical specifically, unlike butane, isobutane, and propane, is a central nervous system toxin. I refer you of course to Hathaway GJ, Proctor NH, Hughes JP, and Fischman M (1991). Proctor and Hughes' chemical hazards of the workplace. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold. Good thing you've limited your liability, sounds like you're supplying this to "patients".

But yeah seriously, it metabolizes to hexane-2,5-dione in the body and can totally kill you. Kills people. I'd bathe in 'tane before I'd work with hexane and risk injury. Butane extractions kill with explosion, hexane extractions will kill with poison. Which do you feel more in control of?

mad librettist

Veteran
Why has your Limited Liability Corporation chosen n-hexane as a solvent for a product people will consume? That chemical specifically, unlike butane, isobutane, and propane, is a central nervous system toxin. I refer you of course to Hathaway GJ, Proctor NH, Hughes JP, and Fischman M (1991). Proctor and Hughes' chemical hazards of the workplace. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold. Good thing you've limited your liability, sounds like you're supplying this to "patients".

But yeah seriously, it metabolizes to hexane-2,5-dione in the body and can totally kill you. Kills people. I'd bathe in 'tane before I'd work with hexane and risk injury. Butane extractions kill with explosion, hexane extractions will kill with poison. Which do you feel more in control of?

wiiiize up!

sounds like all the residue issues are taken care of with vacuum purging or ethanol wash.

IIRC, many products for human use are produced using hexane.

hammalamma

Veteran

Interesting facts, if you didn't come across so negative in the first place more people might take it to heart.
Second of all, if one were to follow the simple step by step instructions there would be no hexane in said end product and no risk of poisoning "patients".
I run butane and iso quite often and was thinking about trying hexane and appreciate the info, just tired of having to read through hella arguments just to get to good info.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Actually our just formed limited liability company does research, supplies information, and leases equipment, not sell cannabis, cannabis products, or drugs of any kind.

Up to this point a group of skunk pharmers and I have donated meds to volunteer test panel patients, and to certain terminal patients who came to us for support, grasping at all straws. We did that all pro bono, under the prevailing OMMP laws and the patients were fully aware of the processing.

The only patients that will ever get Skunk Pharm Research LLC cannabis products, will get them for free, either because they are on a volunteer patient test panel or because they are terminal and have requested our support. They will also be made fully aware of our processing.

As to your concern about poison, Hexane is commonly used to produce pharmaceuticals and even food products, but is not left in amounts that are toxic.

There is a difference between trace amounts and toxic doses, because poison is in the dosage. Even Oxygen is a toxin at over 75% atmosphere and you are just as dead as from an over dose of any substance.

So what are the facts about hexane? One is that if hexane is present at levels as low as 30ppm, it smells and tastes exactly like gasoline.

Ergo, if it were present tasting like gasoline, someone would have noticed in our extractions by now, even if our own senses were dulled.

So lets see what the governing authorities think about it, while paying attention to how the dosage rates compare to levels less than 30 parts per millionth:

SECTION 11 – TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
CAS# 110-54-3: MN9275000
LD50/LC50:
CAS# 110-54-3:
Draize test, rabbit, eye: 10 mg Mild;
Inhalation, mouse: LC50 = 150000 mg/m3/2H;
Inhalation, rat: LC50 = 48000 ppm/4H;
Inhalation, rat: LC50 = 627000 mg/m3/3M;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 25 gm/kg;

Carcinogenicity:

CAS# 110-54-3: Not listed by ACGIH, IARC, NTP, or CA Prop 65.

Epidemiology: Occupational polyneuropathy has resulted from hexane exposures as low as 500 ppm, but the minimum levels of n-hexane that are neurotoxic in humans haven't been established.

Nearly continuous exposure of animals at 250 ppm has caused neurotoxic effects.

Teratogenicity: No evidence of teratogenicity or embryotoxicity in anmial studies with hexane.
Fetotoxicity has been observed in the presence of maternal toxicity.
Reproductive Effects: Severe testicular damage has been observed in rats exposed to hexane at concentrations which have produced other significant toxicity.

Although subneurotoxic doses of its principle toxic metabolite, 2,5-hexanedione, can induce progressive testicular toxicity in rats, there have been no reports of human sterility or other reproductive toxicity associated with n-hexane exposures.

Mutagenicity: Positive results (chromosomal damage in the bone marrow cells) obtained for rats exposed by inhalation to n-hexane.

Neurotoxicity: n-Hexane is a mild irritant and CNS depressant in acute exposure, but its principal effects are damage to the sensory and motor peripheral nerves, particularly in chronic exposure.

Last edited:

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Gray Wolf, you obviously know what you are doing, but my first reaction to seeing this thread was "why even mess with it" ?
It's not plutonium, but it is also far from benign...

Nice to see this thread added. looking forword to a lot of good reading and knowledge.
Hexane has worked best for me. Im by far no expert, or even a chemist. but have made some mighty amazing oil, with good advice ofcource.

After reading more of your post and thinking more, I am gona buy a vac pump for purge. will any run of the mill pumps work? I have seen some on line for 100-200$.
Do I need one that will suck the color out of a marble? or will the cheaper ones work?(2-3cfm)

thank you!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf, you obviously know what you are doing, but my first reaction to seeing this thread was "why even mess with it" ?
It's not plutonium, but it is also far from benign...

For lack of a better non polar solvent alternative to accomplish the purpose and because it is benign enough to not be a known health issue at the levels we may leave behind.

We haven't found a better method for alchemy and Mother's Milk just doesn't work. Always open to suggestions.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to see this thread added. looking forword to a lot of good reading and knowledge.
Hexane has worked best for me. Im by far no expert, or even a chemist. but have made some mighty amazing oil, with good advice ofcource.

After reading more of your post and thinking more, I am gona buy a vac pump for purge. will any run of the mill pumps work? I have seen some on line for 100-200$.
Do I need one that will suck the color out of a marble? or will the cheaper ones work?(2-3cfm)

thank you!

If you have adequate water pressure and flow, a faucet vacuum aspirator will work and costs less than $20.

The vacuum pump pictured is a medical mash unit and I have no clue what the new cost was. I picked our new 6.2 CFM CPS AC vacuum pump from E-Bay for under $200.

The issue with most mechanical pumps evacuating a solvent, is crankcase dillution. A faucet vacuum aspirator doesn't remotely care, but you have to pay close attention with a mechanical pump.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis acetate

Cannabis acetate

As many of ya'll know cannabis acetates pass the blood brain barrier more readily than standard cannabis oil. The effects come on so rapidly, that in his book, Marijuana Chemistry, Michael Starks proffers 3X potency.

We've been making it for awhile trying to sort out the process. We looked at Starks procedure, which seems to be based on making heroin out of opium, but decided to start with the general procedure for making aspirin out of salicylic acid.

Sooo, let's talk about the progress that we've made here in those experiments, now that we have had an opportunity to make this enough times to get the same thing each time.

Here is the process, probably not refined as far as it can be, but works and produces reliable results.

We started by dissolving 10.4 grams of BHO into 16.5 grams of hexane, to remove it from the storage container with an unknown tare, so as to not waste any left behind in films and to get an accurate weight. We warmed the mixture in a hot water bath to increase dissolution rate.

When dissolved, we decanted into a beaker with a known tare and weighed the total amount, from which we subtracted the beaker tare and the weight of the hexane to get the BHO weight of 10.4 grams.

We then poured that into a one liter boiling flask. To that we added 25 ml of acetic anhydride and 1.25 ml of 98% sulfuric acid.

We placed the boiling flask on a combination hot plate stirrer, and added a stirring bar to the mixture.

We added an Alhin condenser to the flask, through which we pumped ice water, and reflux boiled the mixture for one hour while stirring.

After refluxing for one hour, we added 40 ml of water to react the remaining acetic anhydride, and another 40 ml of hexane. We poured that into a separatory funnel, which we finished filling with saturated salt water.

After shaking well, we allowed the layers to separate and bled off the lower water emulsion layer, only to refill with salt water again and repeat the procedure until we had run about 4 liters of salt water through the mixture.

After bleeding off the salt water one last time, we bled the hexane mixture into a beaker and after filtering through a 0.2 micron syringe filter, we boiled off the hexane using the hot plate stirrer, with the beaker sitting in a larger beaker half full of water.

Just before the hexane was gone, I refilled the beaker to the half way mark with 190 proof ethanol and boiled that off. I repeated the alcohol wash three times to insure the removal of the rest of the hexane.

The resulting acetate is of a lighter color than the original oil and of lower viscosity.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• Final product.jpg
    Final product.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Washing with saline solution.jpg
    Washing with saline solution.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Acetic Anhydride.jpg
    Acetic Anhydride.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Cannabis acetate equipment.jpg
    Cannabis acetate equipment.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Adding salt water-1.jpg
    Adding salt water-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One more picture.

Attachments

• Hexane.jpg
    Hexane.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
Have you tried using the Rick Simpson oil? So, the purpose of doing this is to have a cannabis acetate, which is 3x stronger than oil and doesn't have chlorophyll?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you tried using the Rick Simpson oil? So, the purpose of doing this is to have a cannabis acetate, which is 3x stronger than oil and doesn't have chlorophyll?

Yes I have extracted and tried oil produced under Rick Simpson's guidelines.

I'm not thinking that cannabis acetate is 3X more potent than the oil it was made from. I think that it passes the blood brain barrier so much quicker that it just seems so.

Chlorophyll has nothing to do with it. The oil that we make acetate from doesn't have any appreciable chlorophyll to start with.

What cannabis acetate does well, is function in E-Cigs and it is far milder than cannabis oil to vaporize. It also has a milder taste when used in medibles.

It also produces a sublingual and a topical that are much faster acting than the oil that it was made from.

Sort of the difference between taking an aspirin or brewing up some salicylic acid tea from willow bark.