What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If it doesn't Shatter, it doesn't matter! Tribute to Jolly Rancher Amber Glass Thread

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Heres some shots of some i made a while back. Not shatter, but more hard toffee texture. It was not buddered, but ended up looking like this:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stay Safe

Thanks...yea it can be sticky, but i can definately feel the waxes as well. Its very waxy as a matter of fact. Im very impressed by the photos you displayed. Im not a big oil fan tho..maybe because i have never tried the real mccoy?

Stay Safe

Well, I don't think there is all that much difference, other than a little bit more cleanliness. As Jump pointed out, i'm probably not dissolving all my oils and waxes properly, so the difference is probably not as much as it appears from the pics I posted. Your stuff looks great!
When I stated that I am now smoking real meds, I meant to imply not only that the oil was the cleanest I have ever had, but the titanium vape method works well, and now I can taste the differences. I did not mean to imply other people were making "real meds", so I hope you didn't take it that way. Your shatter looks fabulous. Sometimes I get a slight stickiness myself. That's why I asked. The pics you posted look "mostly" stable to me.
Thanks for contributing!

Heres some shots of some i made a while back. Not shatter, but more hard toffee texture. It was not buddered, but ended up looking like this:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stay Safe

lol, Toffee, or Taffy?
I have had that occur, as well. I like it almost more than shatter sometimes, because you don't have to worry about pieces flying across the room, yet it doesn't really stick, either. Beautiful yellow shots there.

vapeman24

Yes hard-taffy is my personal preference as well. Just takes a little more attention so you have to purge it just right.

M

madback

I made this hydrated oil, filtered once* (going to filter again)

HEY GDK! That yellow defiantly is inspiring !!!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read that for dehydration of alcohol, magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) is ignited in the oven until dehydration and mixed with alcohol.
Sulfate captures water from the alcohol and removed by filtration, leaving a dehydrated alcohol.

Yup, it works. Never tried to dry fresh alcohol, but have used it clean up extractions.

Anytime!:wave:

Was it Everclear 150 or 190?
Milky residue indicates the use of 150, if so I suppose the solvent wasn’t strong enough.
I’m experienced only with 96% EtOH (190 proof).
Azeotrope leaves a milky residue only when it is exposed to water.

The rest in glass looks still resinous, I’d try with stronger solvent or heated that one you have.

Hey Jump,
I have some response and more questions for you.
I tried dissolving that wax mass, by heating my alcohol, in a double boiler situation. I took the outer water to 140 degrees F. That brought the inner alcohol to a boil almost. I left it like that for about 45 minutes. I re-filtered it, and got almost 1 more gram from that mass. The shatter was slightly sticky, but i'm sure it'll harden up in time. Then I took that mass, and placed it onto a warm pyrex and it melted JUST LIKE WAX!
There was nothing left in it, that looked even slightly recoverable. The whole mass never dissolved in the warmed alcohol. It seems like no matter what I do, I cannot dissolve it. BUT, on the good side, i'm beginning to think this may be better, anyways. What's the point of dissolving something that will eventually be separated anyways? So, in other words, what i'm thinking here, is that it's GOOD that the 151 does not completely dissolve the waxes and fats and lipids. Less work in the long run, it would appear.

I think I was right, for the most part, that it is indeed BHO Poop. looks like a turd to me. Melts exactly like a wax would, too. The only thing I have left to do, I think, is to try smoking it, with no other herb or oil, in the beginning of the day, and see how it affects me.

here are the pics I took of it in the filter, then dropped out of the filter.

BHO Wax Turd

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

Yup, it works. Never tried to dry fresh alcohol, but have used it clean up extractions.

Hey Gray Wolf, Can you please elaborate on that process a bit. How much epsom salts are used? 3 grains or a teaspoon? What kind of measurements are we talking about here? Also, how would you apply it and what would you do once it's applied. I try to understand things as completely as possible before I try them.
Thanks!

Okay folks, just took a hit for the first time, of JUST the wax mass. On my vapor TI pad.

Now can I go throw up?
That's how I feel. Nauseated.
NO flavor at all. Tastes likes socks.
Nasty shit! No kidding!
Do I feel high? Slightly, but not in a way even close to a hit off oil.
Time to take a second one.

Nasty nasty nasty!

I was going to bottle it, as a secondary extract, but now that I think of it, I don't know anyone worth poisoning.

I feel slightly high, but no more than if I smoked a bong hit of shwag dirt weed. Maybe a little higher than that, but I also feel nauseated. Honestly. I have never felt like throwing up after smoking, and it could be psychological, because I know what I just smoked, but I think it's because the stuff just plain sucks!

I'm becoming more and more convinced, we are smoking shit as well as BHO, when not properly filtered and purged.

5 minutes later, thinking about it....the high is in the background, not the forefront of my head. It's as if I got half a toke, and the joint flew out the window, lol. Not very impressed, but I can see that some people could be medicated by it. But their threshold would have to be low, and their taste buds shot to shit. I would place a value of approx. $3 a gram on it.

jump117

Veteran
The melting like wax does not distinguish this mass from the amber which also melts at 70°C 158°F.

Please clarify the origin of this mass, whether I realized it was something that could be separated from those gorgeous yellow amber,
or is the result of different extraction?

In the experiment Add some water! (click) I observed water-soluble substances insoluble in alcohol.

Is it water-soluble? Water solubility indicates the total uselessness of this mass.

If not, then also it should not be smoking, inhalation of fatty and oily fumes may cause oil pneumonia leading to irreversible necrosis of lung tissue.

Decarboxylate and mix in chocolade for ingestion is more safely use.

The melting like wax does not distinguish this mass from the amber which also melts at 70°C 158°F.

Please clarify the origin of this mass, whether I realized it was something that could be separated from those gorgeous yellow amber,
or is the result of different extraction?

In the experiment Add some water! (click) I observed water-soluble substances insoluble in alcohol.

Is it water-soluble? Water solubility indicates the total uselessness of this mass.

If not, then also it should not be smoking, inhalation of fatty and oily fumes may cause oil pneumonia leading to irreversible necrosis of lung tissue.

Decarboxylate and mix in chocolade for ingestion is more safely use.

Thanks for the quick reply, Jump!
the product was originally trim of medium grade. That could be the source of the sea creature excrement. Now if I can just find out what creature feeds on Octopus poop, I can find someone to sell it to. lol
It was done BHO style, with vector butane, then ran through a filter, then frozen for 14 hours or so, then refiltered, then scraped off that filter, redissolved in 151 again, frozen for 14 hours again, then re-filtered, then i added your step of heating it for separation, and then filtered it a fourth time, I think, now. Then the AA I got was still sticky to the touch, even after a heat purge on a steam bath.
I'm not completely clear on your water method, maybe it's because it's so simple, and I'm already way past the point where it would be worthwhile. I think i'm stuck with Octopoop. ???

activated charcoal missed?

I have yet to run that experiment. I have a friend who never let on how he made shatter, and it always tasted a bit strange. I always suspected it was the carbon he might have been using to filter it. I'm reluctant to mess with it, only because I do not want to lose the flavor he seemed to lose. But I will try it, at least once, real soon.
I'm curious to know if anyone who has run theirs through charcoal or carbon, has noticed the difference in flavor, if any. ??

daheadies

poppin' outta control
medical-
My buddy that makes it supposedly uses activated carbon for making his amber and it turns out great! and im 99% sure alcohol is not used..

I saw this thread and decided I should make what I had frozen in my freezer as a tribute to JUMP117

ABSOLUTE AMBER SHATTER using Jumps recipe-
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php