What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If it doesn't Shatter, it doesn't matter! Tribute to Jolly Rancher Amber Glass Thread

yogadude

I've been a patient for about 5-6 years and have been smoking oils almost exclusively for about 2 years. Up until recently I have been getting my wax from dispensaries. The quality has improved an incredible amount over the past 2 years but you need to be an educated consumer if you are going to be an every-day-dabber. There are still some shops selling green-goop-gobby crap for 50$ a gram. Up until recently I stuck with mostly blond butters that did not have too much moisture in them. These seemed to be the purest.

Then I met a real oiler, a bonafide oil-man. I was lucky to be introduced to this fella by my girlfriend who works with him at his regular job. We made a time to get together and I promised to bring him some trim I had sitting around.

I sat with him for about 3 hours while he worked over an ounce of trim. I have seen wax made live a few times and have seen most youtube videos. What this oilman was doing was a bit different that what I had seen before. The key elements were this:

1)he had a temp reader for his water purge,one of those red-laser lights, so he could constantly check his water for the right temp. He did this frequently.

2)once the butane evaporated from the water he proceeded to continue the purge using a hair dryer that had a small thin rectangular moothpiece at the end. We spent about 2 hours alternating running the hair dryer over the oil in slow strokes and then letting is sit for about 10-15 minutes and repeating the process.

Once the oilman knew the glass was ready I watched him get every single drop off of his circular trays. For purging btw he used circular pyrex trays with matching skillets that fit the tray perfectly btw. He said it is easier to get the oil off of the circular trays as opposed to the rectangular ones.

The finished medicine is unbelievable. Has an incredible nose and unbelievable potency. It can be dabbed but is stable enough at room temp to break off a piece and put on a bowl of flowers, a big advantage for older patients who are afraid of the torch and nail.

I only have a few pics that I took with my cell phone. Here's what we got. Will post more pics soon :)

glass2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

dro510

First Vac purge

First Vac purge

What do u think guys? I vacd for about 6 hrs on low heat until it stopped popping bubbles but i can see there is still a few unpopped so it leaves me to belive that it might need a litttle longer.. I did get a little tired and lowered the heat a bit n they stopped so i think if i raised it a but i can probally get some reaction..

Took a couple test dabs and it is nice, quite smoother than my whipped stove top method haha and not really any irritation. No sizzle or snap crackle pop. And if u give it a little flick it shatters right up..

Its stable at room temp but if u hold it too long it gets a little soft.

96008F72-B965-4109-ABAC-CDA253391F06-2049-00000314B4BE0EEF_zps572e74f0.jpg

E687F787-1BD0-4BB6-8698-EDA33418E503-2049-00000314AE911728_zps62fe2830.jpg

KonradZuse

I'm curious how much % return do you get after removing all of the "crap." It seems like a lot of people sell it that way to add weight... messed up. >(

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm curious how much % return do you get after removing all of the "crap." It seems like a lot of people sell it that way to add weight... messed up. >(

It varies by strain and whether it was indoor or outdoor, but our indoor crops produce about 25% raw oleoresin and yield about 23% after winterization. Our best was 28.1 and worst 5.7%.

Loose Cannon

picture.php

20gs of shatter from roughly 1lb of lesser tested C99.
Hey, this stuff works pretty good!

Should point out this is 50% of total produced from this amount.

Bongstar420

If it doesn't Shatter, it DOESN'T Matter! :jump:

I just had to post this, to counteract the now infamous "It if Doesn't Bubble, it ain't worth the trouble", quote.

Personally, I cannot stand bubble hash, and never have liked it. I even started a joke thread a while back, about how much better oil is than bubble. But this thread is meant to be serious, as a dedication to Amber Glass, Jolly Rancher, Absolute Amber, ala Jump, and the many other forms and appearances of the legendary "Shatter" material.

Recently, I started making this on my own after about 10 years now of various oil experiments, and I have to say, thanks to the folks like HMK, I can finally taste my oils for what they really, truly are. What I notice first, is that all my previous oils were severely contaminated with waste by products, that are not only costing more for some people to purchase, but adding to the harmful carcinogens in the smoke from improperly purged material.

I like fresh and frozen the best, but boy is it a PITA to deal with wet sticky trimming. Next in favorites, is the stuff that comes direct from fresh buds, but not directly off the plant. And last but not least, the serious nice trim, frosty with crystals.

When smoked with a titanium pad, the amber oils are by far the most flavorful, and delicious, purest, and most headiest smoke I have ever had in my life. I've had all kinds of oils, from dark alcohol extracts, to lighter alcohol extracts, and i've had the best full melt bubble, and bubble that was too sticky to touch, even. I've had clear yellowish oils that were viscous, from Divisadero many years ago, and all kinds of various concentrates. Maybe it's the fact that I grow my herb in organic soil, combined with the vapor action, but the results are not easily dismissed. The high is the headiest, most clear, most consistently potent, and the smoke is the smoothest and most flavorful I have ever had.

View Image
View Image

Now can anyone identify the pictures below and tell me what you see? Is it Honey Oil, or Poo Poo?

View Image
View Image

What you are seeing above, is the waxes and fats and lipids, and regardless of what it appears to be, there is no oil present in that gob of goo. It has been filtered several times, frozen to separate, warmed in slightly warm temps, separated, filtered again, and so forth. The only oil in those pics is on the side of glass, and there is very little there, either.

When you are buying BHO, Butane Honey Oil, and smoking it, the gob of goo you see in these pics, is AFTER a cotton filtration, then to coffee filtration, so it's already filtered twice, in approx. .15 micron ave. Then frozen in ethanol, and re-filtered, and this is what cannot be dissolved. This is what you are smoking and ingesting that gives you no actual effect, for the most part, as far as I know. Granted this was from sugar trim, but still, plant matters, waxes, fats and lipids get through, even butane extractions, and need to be completely cleaned up before they can be considered true "medicine".

I have to say this, because it recently occurred to me, now that i've been ingesting REAL meds.

The other thing that is most particular that I have noticed is that although my mind can be soaring high, and my body perfectly relaxed, I do not get the normal tired effect, like drowsiness, or sleepiness. I'm alert and high at the same time, and very relaxed as well.

I can truly say I notice a complete difference between the quality of Amber Glasses and Water Extracted Hash. Hash is HARSH, no matter how full melt it is, is ALWAYS burns my throat. I cannot smoke it, being asthmatic to begin with. But Glass actually expands my lungs severely, and makes me cough, but not from harshness, but rather expansion of the lungs, which is exactly what asthmatics need, not harsh contaminants.

That is my ode to Amber.
Anyone care to join in the fun?
Do you enjoy Amber Glasses specifically more than other kinds of extracts, and if so, what have been your experiences with it, in your own medicinal benefits?

It is correct that the waxes do look as described...but that goes without saying, many pot plants produce BHO which looks the same.

You want "good" oils. You grow plants which are bred to produce them. Most plants will never produce a clear, honey colored hash. Also, the refining process can darken you oil. I just made an alcoholic etract which was a clear honey blonde that turned to a more opaque reddish brown due to the heating which was required to vape off the lighter oils (my strains are high terpene producers which makes for very unmanageable extracts).

Extract plants require less skill as a grower and the skills a manufacturer needs are much, much less involved than a grower. Heck, chronic shatter can be grown by the field with conventional agricultural by common farmers and industry folk- no need for special talents or dedication

It varies by strain and whether it was indoor or outdoor, but our indoor crops produce about 25% raw oleoresin and yield about 23% after winterization. Our best was 28.1 and worst 5.7%.

The weight is miniscule...I suspect crumble is the bottom of the winterization process (empty trichoromes + waxes + hash oil)...I don't work with extracts much though, so maybe not. It would be more related to avoiding losses due to separation..the winterization process probably loses 5-10% for people using crude separation methods.

Also, I doubt indoor vs outdoor matters much vs strain...unless your crop sees lots of humidity, heat, and pests as the result of outdoors. Most of the CO2 oils are likely outdoor crops. They are all pretty impressive in "cleanliness"

EastCoast710

a lot of people don't winterize.. or anything.. and just sell it.. winterized vs non will deff be able to tell the diff just off a dab.

Old Gold

a lot of people don't winterize.. or anything.. and just sell it.. winterized vs non will deff be able to tell the diff just off a dab.

It's the difference between things recondensing in my throat/lungs as opposed to bronchodialation and expectorant properties.