What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BUTANE EXTRACTION AND RECOVERY SYSTEM

I understand what you mean. For me the frozen material would be best for me since I mostly only vape my oils but that's not possible atm, I can't imagine oil tasting any better, I'm grow feinding right now just because I want some fresh buds to extract, lol.

Thank you for the clarification on the n-butane atom chain and the butane atom chain water solubility, I now fully understand the differences in the two and why the n-butane is better.

Thank you man, your kick ass, lol

jump117

Veteran
Remember the frost on the frozen material in contact with warm air, it is better to freeze loaded extractor, to avoid locking trichomes.

dope_roor

I don't want to jack Greywolf's thread, so I'll most likely start one when I have some free time. But in short, I sampled two different CO2 extracts in a med state (with packaging, and assurance they were both made with the Edenlabs equipment).

They were both extremely expensive, one 60/g, and the other 75/g.

Each of the samples smelled and tasted of "generic hash product."
This could be chalked up to the producers using garbage stale trim for extraction material, which is likely. However, I also have a hunch that CO2 is simply not capable of making as tasty of an extract as butane is.
It costs tens of thousands of dollarss to acquire and safely use a CO2 apparatus, yet a better extract can be obtained with a 7 dollar turkey baster. Go figure...

agreed :dance013: until i witness some prime flowers go into CO2 and taste it, eveyrthing ive tried so far paled in comparison to BHO in the flavor dpt

I have a question for you, Graywolf,
On another thread you mentioned the use of activated carbon. Do you recommend taking the BHO as it's evaporating at room temps, and soaking some activated carbon it in, before running it through a filter, or would you recommend taking the BHO, dissolving it in ethanol first, then taking that and soaking it, then filtering?
I'm just wondering whether I should soak the Butane extract in the carbon, or the alcohol after freezing for separation of waxes etc. ?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a question for you, Graywolf,
On another thread you mentioned the use of activated carbon. Do you recommend taking the BHO as it's evaporating at room temps, and soaking some activated carbon it in, before running it through a filter, or would you recommend taking the BHO, dissolving it in ethanol first, then taking that and soaking it, then filtering?
I'm just wondering whether I should soak the Butane extract in the carbon, or the alcohol after freezing for separation of waxes etc. ?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would re-dissolve it in alcohol and run a freeze/filter cycle to get rid of the less polar waxes first.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I also do butane extractions with a recovery system, but not much translates.

I normally do hexane extractions and solvent recovery with a vacuum distiller I fabricated.

For butane I take the condenser and heater outside when it is -40 and colder. The condenser is filled with hexane and dry ice blocks.
The heater is set at +5, all temps are in degrees F.

The boiling container is filled with butane, I use a can opener and pour in 6 oz refills, takes about 40 to fill the 6 quart cantainer. The butane pours readily with almost zero fumes.

The container is in a heated brine solution kept at +5 degrees, the butane boils quite nicely.

The distilling is straightforward, only real difference is the parka, mittens, and boots.
The last cup or so of butane begins turning yellow, at this point the process is stopped and that bit of leftover butane contains the stink and contamination (valve lube mostly). I toss it downwind as it will stink horribly for hours.

The clean butane is poured over a container of trimmed bud and gently agitated for 2 minutes, poured through a coffee filter and returned to the distiller. The butane is recovered and the oil is in the bottom. Most bud I use runs about 10 percent oil, the oil product is just over 90 percent THC.

As the purity goes up the oil gets thinner. I have made 99+ percent (1% yield from start) and the consistancy approached 3-in-1 lubricating oil, very thin, would not stick to the end of a paper clip. Too low a yield and too hard to smoke. Not made twice.

At no time does the oil ever go above ambient temperature. This is part of what makes butane extracts so much better than methods requiring heat.

Probably not too useful in warmer climates, but I just had to share.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I normally do hexane extractions and solvent recovery with a vacuum distiller I fabricated.

For butane I take the condenser and heater outside when it is -40 and colder. The condenser is filled with hexane and dry ice blocks.

The boiling container is filled with butane, I use a can opener and pour in 6 oz refills, takes about 40 to fill the 6 quart cantainer. The butane pours readily with almost zero fumes.

The container is in a heated brine solution kept at +5 degrees, the butane boils quite nicely.

The distilling is straightforward, only real difference is the parka, mittens, and boots.
The last cup or so of butane begins turning yellow, at this point the process is stopped and that bit of leftover butane contains the stink and contamination (valve lube mostly). I toss it downwind as it will stink horribly for hours.

The clean butane is poured over a container of trimmed bud and gently agitated for 2 minutes, poured through a coffee filter and returned to the distiller. The butane is recovered and the oil is in the bottom. Most bud I use runs about 10 percent oil, the oil product is just over 90 percent THC.

As the purity goes up the oil gets thinner. I have made 99+ percent (1% yield from start) and the consistancy approached 3-in-1 lubricating oil, very thin, would not stick to the end of a paper clip. Too low a yield and too hard to smoke. Not made twice.

At no time does the oil ever go above ambient temperature. This is part of what makes butane extracts so much better than methods requiring heat.

Cool! Any pictures to share?

This sounds pretty exciting a cohort and I were recently discussing the merits of a controlled below freezing environment for cold boiled solvent extractions.

foaf

Veteran
the promax that I have has only had one minor issue over several years, the switch that converts from recover to purge began to leak, but a seal kit was available for almost nothing, and just replacing the oring fixed it for now.

jump117

Veteran
Hey foaf ! Hey Gray Wolf ! Hey Double Kindness !

What temperature is liquid butane during extraction?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey foaf ! Hey Gray Wolf ! Hey Double Kindness !

What temperature is liquid butane during extraction?

Don't know for sure bro, but the evaporation under vacuum appears to plunge it below the boiling point without added heat.

jump117

Veteran
Let me explain my question.

The effectiveness of the solvent depends on temperature. Dissolution goes faster with higher temperature of the solvent.

Liquid butane can be heated only to boiling point, which increases with increasing pressure.
At atmospheric pressure the boiling point of butane -0,5 ° C.
Under pressure in the can butane remains liquid at room temperature.

The higher the pressure in the extractor, the higher the temperature at which butane is a liquid solvent,
the better the efficiency of dissolution.

When using a simple tubular extractor, dense packing not only increases the pressure, but also lengthens the duration of extraction.

foaf

Veteran
unlike the blowthrough techniques where the butane expands and chills during the extraction, when you use a closed system, the butane is at room temperature for the extraction because there is little or no pressure change as you go from the holding tank to the extraction vessel. the way I do it there may be a bit because I use the pump to do a so called "push pull" to speed the transfer, but the vessel doesnt cool off much at all. It does get quite cold as you evaporate it with the pump, unless you warm the evaporation vessel, which I do now.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let me explain my question.

The effectiveness of the solvent depends on temperature. Dissolution goes faster with higher temperature of the solvent.

Liquid butane can be heated only to boiling point, which increases with increasing pressure.
At atmospheric pressure the boiling point of butane -0,5 ° C.
Under pressure in the can butane remains liquid at room temperature.

The higher the pressure in the extractor, the higher the temperature at which butane is a liquid solvent,
the better the efficiency of dissolution.

When using a simple tubular extractor, dense packing not only increases the pressure, but also lengthens the duration of extraction.

Design pressure on my extractor is 80 psi, but I haven't seen more than 25 psi so far, during our cool (~40/50F) winter months, so I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 15C boiling point so far and 26C as my upper design limit.

The column and valves are actually capable of 150 psi design pressure, but not the pot.

jump117

Veteran
our cool (~40/50F) winter months
:thank you: for the laugh! Let me ask a few questions.

Lengthening the duration of extraction at atmospheric pressure does not damage the quality and increases the amount of good extract.
Have you experimented with the duration?

Solvent should wash material. In still solvent effect of saturation of the contact layer slows down the extraction.
Certainly need to stir. How do you solve this problem?