What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is this overwatering in coco?

spreadhead

i did not think you could overwater using coco but please check this out...the last picture is when i noticed the plant was unhealthy...the next 2 are the same plant a day later...the first two pictures are of a second plant exhibiting similar problems with real thin leaves and then the leaves shrival up...

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=17271

what else
..1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clones
2. How old are your plants? 3 to 4 months
3. How tall are your plants? 1 ft
4. What size containers are they planted in? were in 16 oz solo cups replanted today in either 1/2 gallon container or 1 gallon grow bags
5. What is your soil mix? 110% Coco
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? usually when container is light
7. What is the pH of your water?5.2 to 6.2
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?Advanced Nutrients 1:1:1
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") under 2 100 watt CFL
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 8 inches
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 3sq/ft
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 75degrees 30%
14. What is the pH of the soil? 7
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? no
16. How much experience do you have growing? 8 years

tommithy

It looks to me like your PH is way off. I grow in rockwool not coco but when my ph was too high I saw something similiar.

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
Over watering leaves a droopy tired look.... That looks like salt toxicity to me .... In my experience coco doesn't like cycle watering due to salt concentration.... Iwould try switching to daily drain to waste waterings and not let your container dry or lighten ....

spreadhead

tommithy...where you able to save your plants? if so how?
my answer to you is possibly but when i stick the ph meter in the coco it reads 6.9 but it has always read that.. i use to strictly get distilled put started using tap water with the ph down...maybe i missed the reading...was your ph too high or too low?

generak...how do you overwater in coco?

plant are three months old and i have kept them in these solo cups to keep them small do not think it is root bound because transplanting out of these solo cups showed pretty healthy roots and not particularly bound..but noticed as a pulled the root ball there was not much resistance. telling me the roots might not be as healthy as should

Merman

Over watering leaves a droopy tired look..

Agree...overwatering looks the same in soil and coco = droopy plant with general lack of vigor.

Overwatering in coco is pretty hard to do... The only problems I've had with that are leaving the pot's "feet" wet with run-off.... Coco will wick that right up and if the runoff has been sitting getting moldy for awhile, your plants will suck that right up as well.

That is some serious sickness whatever it is... the last three pics make it look like some kind of root disease/rot/infection.

I would gamble that you have some kind of root infection or rot taking hold. Sure doesn't look like a nute deficiency/toxicity. Sounds like your pH is okay.

Lowman

what else
..1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clones
2. How old are your plants? 3 to 4 months
3. How tall are your plants? 1 ft
1 foot in 3 to 4 months? That should be your first sign something is wrong.

4. What size containers are they planted in? were in 16 oz solo cups replanted today in either 1/2 gallon container or 1 gallon grow bags
5. What is your soil mix? 110% Coco
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? usually when container is light.
Problem #1. Do not let your coco dry out. Coco releases nutes like crazy when it starts to dry out. It will hold then release when kept moist

7. What is the pH of your water?5.2 to 6.2
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?Advanced Nutrients 1:1:1
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") under 2 100 watt CFL
Get rid of halogen and incandescent. Bad news.

11. How close are your lights to the plants? 8 inches
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 3sq/ft
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 75degrees 30%
14. What is the pH of the soil? 7
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? no
16. How much experience do you have growing? 8 years

Did you rinse your coco well before using it? It looks to me like salt burn...big time.

I would pull them out...rinse the shit out of your coco...preferably with a clearex or similar solution...then replant. Start with half strength nutes...and go from there.

mojo420

That looks more like you let it get dry - not sayin you did, but it's definitely not overwatering. It could be lockout but if it is, it happened so fast, it skipped right past the typical signs on the fans and went straight to death's door... I'm betting a root problem - but 6.9 IS out of range for coco...

The only times I see signs of overwatering in coco is right after transplant when I put lots of feed water through my pots to stabilize the pH drop I see initially with my water/fert combo.... I may water 4-5 back to back 7 minute water cycles till I see the pH stop goin through the basement. From then on, it's twice daily - 7 minute on time per each.

tommithy

tommithy...where you able to save your plants? if so how?
my answer to you is possibly but when i stick the ph meter in the coco it reads 6.9 but it has always read that.. i use to strictly get distilled put started using tap water with the ph down...maybe i missed the reading...was your ph too high or too low?

Yes I was able to save them by adjusting the PH of my nutrient solution.

You say you "stick the ph meter in the coco" are you using a soil ph meter? I believe the proper way to tell the ph of your grow medium is to capture the first bit of runoff after you water/feed them and test that runoff. I would recommend you get some PH drops from your local store to properly measure this runoff. Or a good hydro PH pen.

spreadhead

Thanks IC Mag community

Thanks IC Mag community

i suspect it was a ph problem...for the past 5 or 6 so years i have used nothing but distilled water...i switched to tap water that i airate and ph adjust in a 4 gallon container...i think what happened is i was reckless and messed up the ph..did not check it or it was too low..something...i also had some b1 that i mixed for my clones and i have never used it and it is super concentrated...either one of these things or a combination of both killed that plant.
i have transplanted and have gone back to purchasing distilled water the plants havey flushed...all but the one that is pictured first have made a recovery...it is looking much better.

i just wanted to share that i have learned everything about growing here...and i am learning more everyday but it folks like tommithy, mojo, lowman. merman and general g that makes this place what it is...although i generally post when i need help i am here reading daily...man i am sure appreciate the help

before your coco is rooted or ''on its way'' meaning that it started thriving then yes early on in a container that has far more coco then roots pervading it its as easy as one watering to quickly before it metabolised the water. no one size fits all with anything in gardening or life. u can very easily overwater coco early on.

herewego

yeaaa that was ph issue, mine did it the same way and i think it locks out potassium or phosphate over 6.4ph and thats where you get the droopy leaves

R3ZIN

i suspect it was a ph problem...for the past 5 or 6 so years i have used nothing but distilled water...i switched to tap water that i airate and ph adjust in a 4 gallon container...i think what happened is i was reckless and messed up the ph..did not check it or it was too low..something...i also had some b1 that i mixed for my clones and i have never used it and it is super concentrated...either one of these things or a combination of both killed that plant.
i have transplanted and have gone back to purchasing distilled water the plants havey flushed...all but the one that is pictured first have made a recovery...it is looking much better.

i just wanted to share that i have learned everything about growing here...and i am learning more everyday but it folks like tommithy, mojo, lowman. merman and general g that makes this place what it is...although i generally post when i need help i am here reading daily...man i am sure appreciate the help

I'm glad you figured it out. Perhaps you could try the tap water again but get a PPM meter? Also starting off slowly and only change one thing at a time > monitor > then change another > so on and so forth?

Im glad you're happy and they're happy :)

before your coco is rooted or ''on its way'' meaning that it started thriving then yes early on in a container that has far more coco then roots pervading it its as easy as one watering to quickly before it metabolised the water. no one size fits all with anything in gardening or life. u can very easily overwater coco early on.

Good points, thanks for sharing.:thank you:

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
almost impossible to over water in coco. unless you don't let them dry out at all that's really the only way to over water in coco, but if you let them dry out some you're ok.

brobrobro

almost impossible to over water in coco. unless you don't let them dry out at all that's really the only way to over water in coco, but if you let them dry out some you're ok.

is one day enough to dry out with a 5 gal pot, 3-5 " tall plants, watered with 750ml a day?

chr0nicxs

In coco I water every other day when clones have first rooted, Then everday from there of till runoff, You should never let coco dry out.