What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Peroxide Questions!!!

I had a few questions about peroxide and Coco Coir and I was hoping someone with experience could give me a little imput.

1.) Can peroxide be mixed with nutrient solution?
2.) If the first question is yes. Which one should I add first?
3.) How long do I have to wait after adding peroxide before I water the plants?

Duckmang

I wouldn't see any reason to add peroxide to a coco regimen, but I can think of several reasons not to.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
These are my answers based on how I do it, not saying it's correct...

1) yes
2) nutes
3) I put it straight on more or less. It's usually a couple of minutes by the time I mix to when I actually apply.

dmt

Veteran
add 1.6ml/litre 35% h202 after nutes are mixed and ph'd. apply when ready, d

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
Won't kill your roots but will knock down all micro life in your container or rez. ... Good or bad....

Have a reason for using it.... Is it for oxygen ...or to kill something....?

:watchplant:

Duckmang

Coco is already one of the most oxygen rich mediums you could be using. I wouldn't risk using a bio-toxic agent as a supplement for something that is already abundantly available. That said I've nenver wanted to kill anything in my root-zone, either.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
I wouldn't risk using a bio-toxic agent as a supplement for something that is already abundantly available.
The question begs: Why are you on this thread then? Probably a good idea to use the stuff before commenting, twice.

To say that coco is oxygen rich is a blanket statement and it's inaccurate. There are a lot of grades, a lot of brands, a lot of watering techniques. If I water a pot of coco, come back an hour later, and lean the pot, what comes out? It's not oxygen, it's water. The bottom quarter or so is saturated. I don't want my roots sitting in stagnant water. (and I don't want to water every day either).

If I pour undiluted nutes on my coco, it will kill the roots too no doubt. Do I go around saying nutes are bad? It will probably kill most of the biology in the coco too - do I call nutes "bio-toxic" because of this? If I unplug the airstone from a DWC bucket, the roots will rot and die. Do I go around saying water is toxic and will damage roots? What if I tip a jug of straight molasses on the coco? Is molasses now toxic?

Protip: Everything is toxic, it just depends on the dose. Mrred, here is a plant given h2o2 since before it even sprouted. Let me know what damage it's causing, please.

Also, if dose "X" kills everything (which I'm not arguing, it can do), what happens if I use half that dose? Hmm?

If you guys want to trust a magazine that has an article on growing Irish Shamrocks, by all means, I hope your shamrocks give maximum yield. :tiphat:

M

mrred

the difference between h2o2 and most other things that its a highly reactive oxygen (one of the most powerful)
h2o2 comes already dilluted so i like to use it straight then rinse if possible
in dwc i used it almost every week at about 1tsp gallon or so, i usually just sprayed it on the roots and on the walls and lid of the container during rez changes , and i have also used it on seedlings that had mold starting to grow on the top, i just sprayed the tops down pretty good then rinsed with water

The question begs: Why are you on this thread then? Probably a good idea to use the stuff before commenting, twice.

To say that coco is oxygen rich is a blanket statement and it's inaccurate. There are a lot of grades, a lot of brands, a lot of watering techniques. If I water a pot of coco, come back an hour later, and lean the pot, what comes out? It's not oxygen, it's water. The bottom quarter or so is saturated. I don't want my roots sitting in stagnant water. (and I don't want to water every day either).

If I pour undiluted nutes on my coco, it will kill the roots too no doubt. Do I go around saying nutes are bad? It will probably kill most of the biology in the coco too - do I call nutes "bio-toxic" because of this? If I unplug the airstone from a DWC bucket, the roots will rot and die. Do I go around saying water is toxic and will damage roots? What if I tip a jug of straight molasses on the coco? Is molasses now toxic?

Protip: Everything is toxic, it just depends on the dose. Mrred, here is a plant given h2o2 since before it even sprouted. Let me know what damage it's causing, please.

Well said!!!!!

Duckmang

Actually I've tried a few different methods of increasing o2 in my coco pots and none of them made any difference. Given that coco can hold 40% air when saturated with water, it is more capable of providing air (oxygen) to the roots than any other medium I know of. Peroxide does have use in DWC but this thread is about coco so why are you comparing apples to oranges? If you are "fixing" overwatering problems in coco by adding another supplement then perhaps your method is faulty. Suggesting that others follow your lead and overwater and then compensate...... I'm not buying it and hopefully many others won't either. Peroxide is an antiseptic that inhibits the growth of micro-organisms. You know, those little beneficial organisms that are good to have in your medium. Well good if you want nice tasting / smoking herb and not chemical nute heavy buds that need flushing for weeks.

*mistress*

Veteran
h202 oxidizes some insects exoskeloton, adds oxygen to media/solution, & promotes aerobic microbial activities.

food grade (29-35%) @ 3-4ml/gal...
3% @ 1tsp/quart, 1tbsp/gal.
excellent for foliar feed, as well.

it does not eliminate all organic life, or material... even the 20+% grades.

used in coco, it generally breaks up the organic accumulation of matter, & anaerobic microbes (the anaerobic material is the kind that smells rank) dont like it @ all.
good also for prevention of pest eggs hatching, etc on under-sides of leaves... they dont prefer the high oxidation levels. leaves+plants generally perky after light h202 foliar spray...

may cause damage to roots, if over-applied - but that takes a lot!
regular 3% grade @ 1 tsp gal have very little effect. maybe 1 tbsp+ of that...

can be used as a flush/mini-flush, fed separately, or mixed w/ nutes... may cause ph to increase, though. so, maybe ad to water 1st, then check ph, then add ferts...

dmt

Veteran
h202 in correct quantity will boost immunity, root mass, nute uptake and create sturdier leaves, stems and plants, thats the real, d

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
don't see a reason to use h2o2 by cocos! you can not over-water cocos!
my tip , think twice about what you using and the reason why ;)
greets
gh

mg75

question...

if you cannot over-water coco, why don't we see continuous water/feed coco systems? even coco slabs have timed drip intervals.

M

mrred

don't see a reason to use h2o2 by cocos! you can not over-water cocos!
my tip , think twice about what you using and the reason why ;)
greets
gh

no one knows what the original posted wants

http://www.socalplumeriacare.com/Faqs/F-7.pdf

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html
anyone know where i can get this article for free?
^ [http://www.sciencedirect.com/ Oxygation Unlocks Yield Potentials of Crops in Oxygen-Limited Soil Environments Advances in Agronomy, Volume 88, 2005, Pages 313-377 Surya P. Bhattarai, Ninghu Su, David J. Midmore]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Last edited:

*mistress*

Veteran
coco can be over-watered...
the gardener probably wont see it from the top of the media, but if dig out the plant, the roots directly under the main root-ball become soggy, brown & basically suffocate from the saturation.

over/under watering is also strain-dependent, temp dependent, what the rh is, how much water is dehumidified. all of this effect how much water is driven thru the plants & out into the atmosphere.
if not dehumidifying, or @ least keeping wind going 24/7, the plant not able to expel as much water as w/ 30-45% rh... that is function of physical pressure of external water vs. internal pressure of water in roots/leaves/stem...

coco can be fed the entire light-on period, as long as drainage very good.
40-60% perlite w/ coco make nearly perfect soil-less mix. still... can become water-logged, in the center of the container. this why aeration thru inert media :good:
watering is very much a strain/gardener specific event... not many 2 gardens do it the same.

dont see how over-watering has anything to do w/ h202, though.... 2 entirely different topics.