What's new

nutrient mix storage

synax

Quick question about nute mixes. I am getting ready to transplant my seedlings into solo cups. I am going to be using GenHydro Micro/bloom per Rezdog's recipe. I am curious, if I was to pre-mix 5 gallons worth in a 5gallon bucket with a lid and airstone - how long will this mixture last? I'll be hand feeding and don't want to mix nutes every day.

OPT

Over time the PH will rise. You just have to go and recalibrate it to be in the ideal range. At least that's what I've noticed and heard.

OPT

synax

Awesome, I'll go ahead and mix up the bucket I just ran through the RODI and just keep an eye on PH over time....

highonmt

Veteran
good question. I'm leaving town for three weeks soon and need to mix a fresh rez for my girls and leave it for my buddy. I'm interested as well.
HM

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
This would be ideal for chemical ferts. I've always thought about this and it's great to have this topic up.

I'm not sure is this would be good in the long run for organic ferts though because of the biological breakdown but please correct me here if I'm wrong because some may say the biological breakdown will improve the mix.

On the other hand would it not be better to mix the Micro and Bloom without calibrating the pH? I say this because if I have to constantly keep adding pH down to keep a long term mix calibrated I would eventually run into alkaline toxicity and ruin the whole batch. Talking about a 55 gallon premix here - or will I have to pH in order for the chemicals to bond correctly?

OPT

Good point sumdumguy!

I'm not really sure on that, but it does make since.

I've recently wondered the same question and was just repeating what I was told.

Along with what I said above, I wouldn't necessarily advise that in a huge mixing situation...from my perspective, I mix up 1 gallon at a time and my plants don't use that much yet each watering, so that's why I originally wondered the same thing. I wanted to be able to finish off using my half gallon that was left the next day or whatever instead of having to waste any.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon and let us all know whats up. With the storing of small mixed quantities as well as large!

OPT

Wait...What?

Veteran
I mix a week's worth at a time and with RO+DI water, the pH is stable. More than it ever was when tap water was involved.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Either way, just keep air moving the water and it should be OK for a few weeks.

i havent used the nutes you are but from my own experience ive premixed nutes and left an airstone in the bucket for 5-7 days no worries...

as long as you dont have anything in there that will start fermenting/bubbling (ala mollasses)

synax

Do you need to leave the airstone going all the time or is it okay to just run it 15-30min before feeding? When not in use the 5gal bucket is covered with a lid...

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Why not get that molasses or other organic food working its magic? :)

I would think for short term storage it may be ok but molasses is natural sugar and long term effects will not benefit the mix. Biological breakdown will be most effective in direct soil or potting mixes for long term effects.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why not get that molasses or other organic food working its magic? :)

this will lead to a mess if left unattented - the pics were taken on a few minutes after the rezies were filled.

picture.php

heres a side by side of foamy (roots organic trinity main ingredient mollases btw humbold honey does the same thing) vs non foamy (used botanicare sweet):
picture.php

here is the foamy rez with the airstone off... notice how thick n goopy looking the solution is you can barely make out the pump at the bottom
picture.php

this will lead to a mess if left unattented - the pics were taken on a few minutes after the rezies were filled.

Foam's easy to get rid of with a bit of vegetable oil on top of the water. I'm a big fan of using microbes to keep my water clean, so what you perceive as a risk or inconvenience is a welcome addition to my rez. I actually love my foam and rely on it to indicate microbial metabolism. It's all good.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Foam's easy to get rid of with a bit of vegetable oil on top of the water. I'm a big fan of using microbes to keep my water clean, so what you perceive as a risk or inconvenience is a welcome addition to my rez. I actually love my foam and rely on it to indicate microbial metabolism. It's all good.

interesting never heard the veggie oil thing before
cool and the gang

Latest posts

Latest posts