What's new

clones won't root in 24 hour light

deadbent666

I tried cloning in 24 hour light and no luck twice. On the third I switched over to 18/6 hours light and had 16 out of 20 root. Do clones need darkness to root?

ralph

Makes sense bro, give them a break from the vegging. I find too much light will stop them as well.

Some strains prefer more light to grow well- others are light sensitive or light shy- and may be less likely to prosper under full or excessive lighting- this is how we fine tune our grows to our plants needs- by finding what they need and delivering it to them with quick precision. In the case of Mango Haze it has consistently over the years manged to crawl along to a minimal light level and no matter how many times i move it or prop this female- "the creepy crawly pheno"- she always moves her leaves back to the shade and so she vines along the grow- a pain in the arse- but fun to watch- this plant does not like the full sun and has whispier leaves than any of her sisters- i find usually the rigidity and nitrogen uptake of the individual plant will show one how much light it can handle- in the case of the more thicker leaves and sturdy stems more light can commonly be afforded- the exceptions to this rule so far seen is in the blue and floral creations of short where even a healthy hybridous cross such as honeybee - though expressing very vigorous markers- still retains the families sensitivity to light as noticed through cloning where less than 24 hrs of light and farther away placed light led to faster rooting with a much higher success rate- it is important to repeat the trials so as to rule out changes in age and nute regime....
cheers
NAcc

Andyo

Veteran
not so much darkness as

not so much darkness as

I think its not so much darkness as not to much leaf stimuless ,more root stem stimuless .
For example i allways use a regime of low leaf temp higher root zone temp 18 c leaf zone 25c root zone.Growth goes to root(shoot to root ratio !
On the daylength thing my tests show shorter daylengths initiate rooting faster ,fastest at 12 hrs which is not practical.
and light levels low as to not over stimulate leaf .A

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
regardless what some think, plants need time to regenerate in much the same way you need sleep..

deadbent666

In my case that seems to be true Groady. Changing the light to 6/18 is the only thing I did different and went from 0% success to 80%.

reckon

I have been getting nearly 100% success rates with EVERYTHING,....rooting with a 24/0 light cycle

the trick for me was switching from rockwool/rapid rooters, etc,... to COCO

now everything works, most times I don't even need the dome.

so you all may be right about better rooting with a night cycle in there somewhere

but I'll take 99.9% any day.

deadbent666

I'm using Neopreneins in an Aeroponic Power Cloner. Then right into hydroton, no rockwool or anything like that. Though I did try a few in rockwool on 24 with no success. I'm gonna try a few in it on 6/18 to see what happens.

Beanfish

For what it's worth, I've cloned MANY strains with 24 hours of light for over 7 years with near 100% success in both bubbler and aero/mister setups.
In either setup, I found that water temp is the key, 82-84F seems to give me the best results. I also add SM90 at 1-2ml per gallon of RO water (no ph adjustment). SM90 acts as a wetting agent. I lower the temp to 70-75F after the roots are about 2-3 inches long. I can't remember the last time I had a failure to root using my homemade aero cloner running 15 minutes on/15 minutes off.

Of course, none of this is LAW, but this has been my experience over the years.

gmanwho

Veteran
Most likely its not your lighting, unless they are yellowing to soon, then they could be getting to intense of light. but its more likely there not happy with there environment. temps for starters, maybe overwet. are you foliar spraying, if you are it usually helps to stop after 3 or so days.

I usually find with mediums it helps to keep things moist, an not wet. to wet an the medium temp will drop an discourage growth. too warm,over80 -85 and shit rots. to wet discourges root growth as i think they seem to think they dont need roots as theres alot of water nearby. why should they search for water then?

they arent happy with something, and saying just your lighting sced is not enough to diagnose the issue. so if ya got more info,that would shed some light. medium & temps. photos of clone condition.If you took cuts of a sickly mother,thenu have sickly clones. 18/6 20/4 24/0 should work. in the right conditions 12/12would work,but then they start flowering.

B-safe

C

cyberwax

How much light is perhaps a better question, i have no problems getting roots with 24/7 but then again i only use 30 watts of cfl over my clones, 25c water temp.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
there are many things to consider when cloning..i use rapid rooters, a little superthrive,a fluro and usually get 90-100% w/o any clonig gel/powder..now when i use clonex they all always root..i have since stopped using any cloning gels that can't be used on edibles..
altho they root a little slower with out it..
nice going deadbent, just do whaty works for you..their is no wrong way if it works..i truly do believe some plant rest helps whether cloning or vegging..

flatcurve

I don't think it's the light cycle. I think you may be using too much light. I've only really had luck with dim light cloning. I use a single 13W flouro for a 50 cell standard rapid rooter tray. I use 20/4 lighting too. But I've also used 24 hour lighting with success.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Whatever works for you, keep doing it. But, to answer the question: No, clones do not need a night period to root.

Synthettek

I've only cloned and vegged with a 24/0 cycle and never had any problems for years and years.

Make sure your light isn't too close to the canopy and you aren't using too high of a wattage of bulb. these are things that can prevent rooting under 24/0 cycles.

fadahigh

i havent had any problems in rooting in the shade outddorrs in the tropics(12/12).
24/0 is fine too though

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I use a 20/4 hour veg cycle.... just because I could never decide between 24/0 and 18/6

Latest posts

Latest posts