What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

> Doubleruder II X Royal Dane <> 250W HPS <> Soil <

UnNatuReal

Now I see better what did u mean Suomi-Prkl, females maybe HAVE TO tie if they stretch too much, but lets wait and see..

3.2.2010: -

4.2.2010: Changed light cycle to 18/6.

5.2.2010: -

6.2.2010: Given first time (GHE One Part) bloom nutes. I prefer more Biobizz nutes, but my Biobizzes were outdated. Old One Parts are still good, because those are not organic.

7.2.2010: Male looks a lot like female (because not stretching at all), but I have not noticed any pistils on it.

love?

28.1.2010: Last unidentified plant shows pistil too!

Now I have two females for replanting and seven males to choose from as father(s?) to next generation.

Smallest male won't be one. 3-4 biggest males are maybe not good choise, because they might be pure Royal Danes... One of them is also hardly branching, so that is out of plans anyway. Not sure about a bit sativa look male, not good for stabilising maybe..

Maybe I choose only one male what looks very similar to first shown female. Second female looks a bit different than any other of plants.

I have some time to think and hear opinions before do anything radical :D
Hi

How many males did you keep?

Of course it depends on your goals but.. In my opinion using as many males as possible is the best when working with outdoor genetics. Every year is different so it's good to have a lot of variation in there to make sure at least some plants flourish each time. I wouldn't even be too quick in leaving out those males that don't seem quite up to your standards, if some season is very different from the usual those genes might be the ones that shine.

UnNatuReal

Hi

How many males did you keep?

Of course it depends on your goals but.. In my opinion using as many males as possible is the best when working with outdoor genetics. Every year is different so it's good to have a lot of variation in there to make sure at least some plants flourish each time. I wouldn't even be too quick in leaving out those males that don't seem quite up to your standards, if some season is very different from the usual those genes might be the ones that shine.

Hi,

This time I kept only that one male shown at last post. I usually go with feeling when selecting males (trying to keep all realities in mind). I just did not liked other males as lot as this one and ended up to keep only it.

I think it is more important to use more males when cross starts to come stable. Next generation will still give variety of different phenos, even used only one male.

Of course it would been safer to select some other males this time too, but in other hand it might be good for stabilising in small gardens to have smaller (but healthy) genepool. Like a betting to selected ones, sometimes you lose something and sometimes you win something :D

I see your point quite clearly anyway, but you might confuse a bit to situation where cross is somehow stable, this is first generation of cross of two different strains. If don't do any selections now and later it can end up to quite anything. In your theory way deeper you should keep also as much females as possible :)

Some general questions are how much you can stabilise before genepool gets too small or how long it is possible to regenerate something from small genepool?

Also I'm not sure how much of traits come from genetics straight and how much come from mutations. I mean if plant is not likely to survive outdoors, would it try to change its genetics somehow? I have readed mutations are happening all the time, but only few of them stays.

UnNatuReal

8-15.2.2010: -

16.2.2010: Changed light cycle to 12/12.

17.2.2010: Females are getting too big... Not sure what to do with them, lol.

Actually I know that I should move to another closet with more horizontal space and tie them down or build scrog, but thats a much work! Hopefully I manage to do that before tops burn...

love?

Looking good, what is the smell like?

About the mutation thing... I'd imagine it's more because of plain natural selection instead of sickly plants mutating to fit the environment. Plants that don't survive don't make seed either and the unfavorable traits die out eventually.

But who knows..

UnNatuReal

Looking good, what is the smell like?

About the mutation thing... I'd imagine it's more because of plain natural selection instead of sickly plants mutating to fit the environment. Plants that don't survive don't make seed either and the unfavorable traits die out eventually.

But who knows..

Hi. These are not smelling much yet, just mild herb aroma or something like that.

I did not meant it would not be more about natural selection what counts on plants to fit environment and genetics also have to have ability for certain mutations of course. So, mutations can be thought also like a part of natural selection... But if mutations are really happening all the time in genetics I don't think it is very sick thing :D

If I fail with this line, there will be still lot of great strains to grow outdoors and even some quite similar to this. I just like to try, think and learn different breeding things. That gives a lot of more for me of growing hobby :)

Pic on next update. Had to do some more tying and wait for females to gain some strength after that before new photos..

UnNatuReal

Time for update for a long time..

3.3-15.3.2010: I have been having lots of problems with these "wild" ladies... There must be easier ways to grow your buds indoors in small closet :D

Scrog could done better, but I should thought that seriously earlier...

16.3.2010:

But wtf is that?!:

It can be some of ungermed seeds what I hide to soil at beginning of project, if not some dropped new one, or something from previous grows :)

UnNatuReal

17.3-18.3.2010: Not much to report, plants have started to slow down stretching.

19.3.2010: I have noticed buds have started to produce some resin... Thats good as I have been a bit worried where it lasts..

20.3.2010: -

21.3.2010:

--- -- -

I thought that Doubleruder II could reduce size of Royal Dane, but seems likes it is very passive in genetics or these females are pure Royal Danes? Or maybe one of these is cross as also selected male..? Next generation can give some smaller or autoflowering phenos, but I'm quite sure I don't test it indoors :D

Siberian

Looks like pure Royal Danes to me..not a bad thing in my book thou, i love her smoke and buzz...How about the smell?

UnNatuReal

Looks like pure Royal Danes to me..not a bad thing in my book thou, i love her smoke and buzz...How about the smell?

I still smoke too much tobacco to be good on analyzing smells, but I think these smell like Skunk or like Afghan on Skunk... Not like fruity Skunk.

I hope that smallest female is cross (as well as male), what actually grew faster than two bigger females when switched light cycle, but then slowed down stretching earlier again and was smaller at beginning and very indentical to male (what flowered to end fast in 3 liter pot) at some stage.

Next gen could have potential to some bigger autoflowering phenos, what start autoflowering later than "regular" autoflowers (by time or size, not by light cycle) or maybe when they got rootbound. Thats maybe right direction to develop autoflower crosses for outdoors. Of course there is need for lot of different plants for different situations.

But most important thing for me now is to get some bud stash for spring and summer :)

UnNatuReal

28.3-29.3.2010: -

30.3.2010: I just run out of bloom nutes (that one litre bottle was almost full when started to give it). Maybe I should buy some more, because these seems still to flower for some time.. I have GHE Ripen late bloom/finishing nutes, but maybe it is too early to give stuff like that(?), even that is not so stark stuff how I supposed it to be when bought it.

If anyone have something even little to say to this please do so :)

31.3-1.4.2010: -

2.4.2010:

Siberian

Well..those are pretty amazing plants. I knew you got it, but for fuck sake man..
How dense are those buds? I`m asking because, in my opinion, biggest problem with Royal Dane is fluffiness of buds..
Looks bit early for Ripen to me...be carefull if you have to go to shop yourself.

UnNatuReal

Thanks for positive comments :D

I think buds are denser than what I have seen on Royal Dane outdoor pics, but still fluffy. calyxes lack mass inside, but I actually don't know what that mass is worth of.. Getting more price if sell bud, lol. It can be even better against fighting molds, if buds are a bit fluffy. I hope and believe that there is still more resin to come...

I'll buy some more bloom nutes or borrow from somewhere soon. I'm not too scared of civilian cops hanging near grow shops and suspend customers... That is really crazy how they have capability on that kind of operations. Like someone said, these have to be last emergency screams by official authorities before cannabis gets legalized, I hope so :)

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
wow soo nice..and hugh buds....looks like rd perfom real good indoors

UnNatuReal

Hi buddah,

I'm not sure if these are pure Royal Danes or crossed to Doubleruder, but at least they are very Royal Dane dominant. Seeds were messed up when collected. Anyways I hope I will see some autoflowering in next generations, but if not, thats not so big deal :)

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
i pregrow RD last year indoor and some phenos were auto or showen heavy preflower very early....!!

UnNatuReal

i pregrow RD last year indoor and some phenos were auto or showen heavy preflower very early....!!

As male was most likely full autoflower, it can give some autoflowering to next generation, even females can be pure Royal Danes, because like you and Siberian before said that Royal Dane can be categorized semi-autoflower itself.

And if male was cross, then should maybe be able to find some autoflower plants from third generation anyway, if not from second...

These females were not more semi-autoflower than starting slow preflowering about one month after planting.

But Royal Dane can just be also very dominant in cross. I have no experience with it before, but can think that strain what is bred for about 50 years and lately inbred for some time (by what I have read) can be much more dominant than than Doubleruder II, what is "bred" for four generations mostly looking for early autoflower for crossing purposes (I have looked other traits too and those have not looked too bad :p).

Someone could also think that early autoflower is like a sign of weakness of genetics, even that is not what I'm exactly thinking by myself, but in crossings that may have some point, or not.

Anyway, that project is just what I have going on today. I have much more other projects too..

Siberian

I have a very promising Sensi star male in someones cab..along with potential Kushberry and Nightshade females. So if you want, we can figure something out..for the future.
Looking forward how those beans in your current grow turns out..