What's new

killing trees for more sunlight

OutdoorGeorge

hey all,
I am growing in a clearing and i could really use like an hour or two of extra sunlght on my patch. i was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to kill a full grown tree (without cutting it down) so that more sunlight can filter through...

i was thinking about drilling holes through the trunk? maybe injecting some rat poison into it? who knows?... any help appreciated.

OG

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
I think stripping the bark will kill it, not sure how long it takes though.

John Allen

Drill holes in a 4 inch section of the lower trunk to the point you can knock it over if you don't want to saw it down.

Also I hope you access the situation, and if 2 hours of extra light is worth perhaps less security and protection for the crop.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Have Yummybud start a thread about that tree you want dead. Should work like a charm.

beek

You want to kill a tree for couple of buds extra ? Way to go ....

I recommend you to find another patch or live with it. Certainly don't kill any trees in the process of growing weed. Bad karma....

Chomp

You want to kill a tree for couple of buds extra ? Way to go ....

I recommend you to find another patch or live with it. Certainly don't kill any trees in the process of growing weed. Bad karma....

I have to second this....It's far too easy to move a plant to provide more sunlight. Killing a tree for no other reason is asking for bad karma and just wrong :2cents:

neongreen

Veteran
Don't kill it. Climb up there with a saw and lop the top off.

Your plants get the light, and the tree gets to vegetate another day - Everybody is happy and karma is less likely to turn around and bite you in the @ss :D

P

Paco

neon is right, limb it in select spots. that should open up some sky for the plants and the tree will live.

L

LolaGal

hey all,
I am growing in a clearing and i could really use like an hour or two of extra sunlght on my patch. i was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to kill a full grown tree (without cutting it down) so that more sunlight can filter through...

i was thinking about drilling holes through the trunk? maybe injecting some rat poison into it? who knows?... any help appreciated.

OG

All you have to do is take off the bark all around the bottom of the tree completely. Tree will die.... poor poor tree.. Is it your tree? If it's not on your land..... oooh the bad karma...

Also this killing tree will draw attention to the patch for sure if some farmer gets mad...

Fast_Pine

What ive been trying is cutting a ring around the trunk with the chain saw, as to cut off the fluid uptake to the top..Ill report back on this technique as the season progresses.

I cant even immagine how cutting trees for your MJ could be considered bad,,,,or wracking up negative karma...Doesent the forrest service routinely "thin'" the forrest?..Thought that was a good thing.

The main reason this benefits me, is I dont have to spend the time dropping the larger trees, cutting em up, and hauling them out of the patch..I can simply run the saw around the trunk and it wont fill in with leaves...(in theory)

L

LolaGal

What ive been trying is cutting a ring around the trunk with the chain saw, as to cut off the fluid uptake to the top..Ill report back on this technique as the season progresses.

I cant even immagine how cutting trees for your MJ could be considered bad,,,,or wracking up negative karma...Doesent the forrest service routinely "thin'" the forrest?..Thought that was a good thing.

The main reason this benefits me, is I dont have to spend the time dropping the larger trees, cutting em up, and hauling them out of the patch..I can simply run the saw around the trunk and it wont fill in with leaves...(in theory)

LOL. I can tell you how this technique will progress....dead tree. No mystery at all there.

The bad karma is killing a tree for such a selfish reason. It is a lot easier to find another place to grow and let the trees live.

99% of the time, if there are that many trees around a clearing, the weed will not get enough light anyway.

Also leaving a tree standing dead is dangerous and a high wind can crash the tree right onto your patch... or on your head.

Be careful out there ya'll. I can tell neither one of ya'll have any experience cutting trees down. It is dangerous and can kill you or others. :2cents:

beek

After you kill it they will come and "thin" the forest as you say for sure.

They will find your patch or a tree will strike on your plants while they will be "thinning" the forest. How is that for karma ?

I see you already tried killing it. I just hope the tree will survive human stupidity.... :wallbash:
Killing a healthy tree for couple of weeds is plain stupid...sorry...

grimcreeper

Ring that fucker and if you're guilted into feeling bad about it, plant a seedling in its place. How many trees are there around your spot? A bunch I'm guessing. You're not clear cutting a swath for paper or furniture, just making way for your own fine herb. It's a non sentient life form and you can create another with dirt water and seeds. Shit, plant three for every one you kill off.

You don't have to cut the thing down, just kill it off for the season. Most trees are pretty hardy and in my experience they'll put out a bunch of shoots below the cut anyway.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Trim the tree...:yeahthats
But...my initial reaction was...if you can't figure out how to get the shadow outta your way...can your finished product be worth a dead tree??:fsu:

grimcreeper

Ever seen topped trees? They're gruesome and dead looking after a manicure. I think topping is stupid and wasteful anyways but those hardy plants put out new growth that people, for whatever reason find attractive.

A new spot might be an easier option. You're going to receive much grief for killing a tree on here, I can already tell.

scaramanga

Be very careful. I've seen video footage taken on a chopper scouting for MJ, and one of the things that can be clearly heard is one of the spotters pointing out a dead tree and the plot underneath it.

I am a little curious as to how they can discern which tree died naturally and which one was killed. Any ideas anyone.

In my forests there are dead trees everywhere, naturally. If you go there on an extremely windy day it can be a little unnerving as there are limbs and trees falling all around. And they are LOUD. But I guess that's just the way it is anywhere there are dense stands of large old trees.

I'm with Fast Pine. If done carefully and with a little forethought no damage is done; I'm not talking about clear-cutting an acre. If you still feel real bad about it plant a few trees in it's place, everybody wins.

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
Don't think they can tell if it died or was killed ,they just know its were mj plant;s get more light so ppl plant there

INH

L

LolaGal

OK you are DEA in a chopper flying along looking for weed in a sea of green trees when you spot a dead tree. The eye is drawn to the dead tree since it is not like all the others. Human nature. That's how they spot the plot....

Why not plant on the edge of a forest with south and west light coming in on the plants.

Latest posts

Latest posts