What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best fan for a micro grow

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
as it is, my ventilation isnt great using pc fans. i got the most powerful ones i could find, but as soon as i hook up my scrubber, they just cant handle the load. ive got my cfls separated in a top chamber which cools just fine. its the growing area which has the same fan hooked up to a homemade carbon scrubber that cant handle it.

just looking for something small that will have enough power to push? im only exhausting about 160w of cfls...

SpoCannabis

What are you using now? If a comp fan isn't working, I would suggest an inexpensive inline duct fan...4" or 6", depending on how large your enclosure is. Good luck ;-)

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
uhhh .... "the most powerful ones i could find" doesn't say anything. What are the ratings? I'm cooling a 250 CMH with a 76 cfm axial.

Perhaps your scrubber is too big? I'm doing well with a home made Odorsock with 1/8th inch thick carbon filter pads. But, my Destroyer isn't especially stinky.

blakhash

ive had the same problem, try scaling down the amount of carbon you put in your scrubber i used a 1/4 inch worth of carbon and had 0 smell leak and great heat suction.

Go to Radio Shack and get their 115v AC cooling fans. They're like computer fans only they're made of metal and they move a TON of air.

j.guit.err

I've honestly had poor luck with the radio shack 24.99 ac fan. I've gone through two, and it seems like the balancing is off. The fans won't start without a push for me and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Anyway, I say that to say: home depot has a good 4" inline duct fan for 25 bucks that works much better and isn't louder either.

Just my two cents.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been using a 90 cfm axial fan that runs off 120 for a long time now and never had a problem. I've just gotten back friom the dePOT with a new 6" 250 cfm inline duct fan for 40 bucks. You can't beat that. It might be overkill for 1.5 square feet but better safe than sorry.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Do not get the 4" pc fans from radioshack, especially if you're using a scrubber. They will break after only a few months because they cannot handle the static pressure. I burned through one and my second one was on it's way to the same fate when I replaced it with an S&P:

It's a Solar & Palau TD-125, 5", 197 cfm, $100 shipped. It's almost as quiet as a my old 4" PC fans from radioshack, but waaaaaaaay more powerful. It's designed to handle large static pressures. It might be a little loud though most micro grows, but if the grow is in a closet it would be fine. I got it from www.hvacquick.com and they were the cheapest I could find yet the service was great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts