Thread Title Search
Click to visit Best Value Vacs for extraction devices
The Icarus CLS Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 PM #1
BVVExtractions
Vendor

BVVExtractions is on a distinguished road
The Icarus CLS

In this thread, we will discuss the Icarus line.
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/5lb-rac...ng-system.html

The unit features a rack mounted material and dewaxing chamber, and a separated collection base. These units feature bi-directional solvent flow, ensuring a full saturation of the material column. We offer these units in 3 sizes; 1lb, 2lb, and 5lb. The 5lb unit features a modular material column, and can be run at half capacity if desired.

First, let’s start with the material column. As stated before, the solvent is input through a bi-directional manifold. This allows solvent to be introduced from the bottom or the top of the material column. By tightly packing the column then running the solvent in both directions, channeling can be prevented, and all material will see solvent. This ensures the highest yield possible with the chosen material. Both ends of the material column will have a 3/8” overflow line that connects to the dewaxing column. When inputting solvent from the bottom, the overflow will be at the top, vice versa. The top of the material column also features a valve that is connected to a nitrogen manifold. This nitrogen is used to increase pressure of the material column. This added pressure, paired with the low temperature/pressure of the dewaxing column, will help drain solvent from the material column.

Next, lets cover the dewaxing column. This column is sleeved, and is to have dry ice packed in the outer sleeve. Solvent is transferred to the dewaxer after being pushed through the material. Oil bearing solvent is then chilled by the dry ice sleeve. To separate paraffin waxes from the oil bearing solution, temperatures must hit at least ~10F. By going into negative temperatures, waxes are guaranteed to coagulate and fall out of the solution. These waxes, as well as lipids, are then filtered out through the various filter media placed into the filter plates.

Given that pressures are directly correlated to temperature, the temperature of the solution inside the dewaxer can be monitored by the pressure gauge on the column (unless nitrogen was used). Pressures will vary depending on which solvent or blend is used. A pure butane run will be absent of pressure, possibly into a vacuum. To clear the dewaxer and finish filtering, a nitrogen pressure assistance is required. It is recommended to add 20-30 psi of nitrogen to adequately clear the dewaxer. More or less pressure can be added depending on your parameters. It is recommended to have the tare weight of the empty collection base recorded, and solvent weight checked prior to recovery. This verifies all the solvent entered has been collected. Once the solvent is collected, nitrogen must be bled off. It is recommended to bring the collection base slightly above the boiling point of the given solvent/blend. By doing so, a small amount of pressure is built up in the collection base. This will prevent atmosphere from entering the collection once all the nitrogen has been burped. Once nitrogen is bled, recovery can be started.

The base Icarus unit is run passively, however a recovery pump can be used.
I hope this helps anyone who owns or is considering an Icarus unit. If anyone has further questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Last edited by BVVExtractions; 01-06-2017 at 06:15 PM..
BVVExtractions is offline Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 PM #2
DoubleTripleOG
Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire

DoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivor
Nice write-up, for someone like me considering going to a cls. I especially like that it's a passive unit, with the option of active recovery.

Photosynthetically active radiation, often abbreviated PAR, designates the spectral range (wave band) of solar radiation from 400 to 700 nanometers that photosynthetic organisms are able to use in the process of photosynthesis.

I am chemically man-made like the Incredible Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangrownkush View Post
He is mad we all have the cut, supposed to be top secret nuclear bomb recipe cut
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkypigs View Post
They accept every states med cards, print one off the internet and come over, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Nirvana View Post
you can't get blood out of a stone.
DoubleTripleOG is offline Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 PM #3
BVVExtractions
Vendor

Pretty much any unit can be run passive, if plumbed correctly and has the right thermal gradient. If you have any direct questions, you can always email me nickd@bestvaluevacs.com
Old 01-12-2017, 02:52 AM #4
coco17

coco17 is on a distinguished road
How do you burp or bleed the nitrogen
coco17 is offline Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 PM #5
BVVExtractions
Vendor

To burb the nitrogen, it is important to note the boiling point of the given solvent. Before nitrogen is burped, it is recommended that the solvent be warmed just above its B.P. This will give the solvent a small amount of pressure. Once the solvent is brought up to pressure, open the valve used for vacuum and allow pressures to bleed. The nitrogen will be at higher pressure and will escape first. Once the nitrogen has evacuated the system, the outward pressure will drop off to a small amount of flow. This indicates the nitrogen is gone. Close the vacuum valve and match collection base pressure to the target temperatures pressure, i.e; if butane is at 40F, pressures should be 3 psi.
Once nitrogen is bled off, recover as normal.

or call (331)281-0154

Please direct claims to claims@bestvaluevacs.com

For technical support, email nickd@bestvaluevacs.com or call and ask for Nick
Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 AM #6
Sesamecreeps

Sesamecreeps is on a distinguished road
On this Icarus unit or i guess any similar rack system, being that n2 is used to push out the dewax column to collection, does the collection pot still have to be chilled?
Sesamecreeps is offline Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 AM #7
MzGrowItAll

MzGrowItAll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVVExtractions View Post
In this thread, we will discuss the Icarus line.
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/5lb-rac...ng-system.html

The unit features a rack mounted material and dewaxing chamber, and a separated collection base. These units feature bi-directional solvent flow, ensuring a full saturation of the material column. We offer these units in 3 sizes; 1lb, 2lb, and 5lb. The 5lb unit features a modular material column, and can be run at half capacity if desired.

First, let’s start with the material column. As stated before, the solvent is input through a bi-directional manifold. This allows solvent to be introduced from the bottom or the top of the material column. By tightly packing the column then running the solvent in both directions, channeling can be prevented, and all material will see solvent. This ensures the highest yield possible with the chosen material. Both ends of the material column will have a 3/8” overflow line that connects to the dewaxing column. When inputting solvent from the bottom, the overflow will be at the top, vice versa. The top of the material column also features a valve that is connected to a nitrogen manifold. This nitrogen is used to increase pressure of the material column. This added pressure, paired with the low temperature/pressure of the dewaxing column, will help drain solvent from the material column.

Next, lets cover the dewaxing column. This column is sleeved, and is to have dry ice packed in the outer sleeve. Solvent is transferred to the dewaxer after being pushed through the material. Oil bearing solvent is then chilled by the dry ice sleeve. To separate paraffin waxes from the oil bearing solution, temperatures must hit at least ~10F. By going into negative temperatures, waxes are guaranteed to coagulate and fall out of the solution. These waxes, as well as lipids, are then filtered out through the various filter media placed into the filter plates.

Given that pressures are directly correlated to temperature, the temperature of the solution inside the dewaxer can be monitored by the pressure gauge on the column (unless nitrogen was used). Pressures will vary depending on which solvent or blend is used. A pure butane run will be absent of pressure, possibly into a vacuum. To clear the dewaxer and finish filtering, a nitrogen pressure assistance is required. It is recommended to add 20-30 psi of nitrogen to adequately clear the dewaxer. More or less pressure can be added depending on your parameters. It is recommended to have the tare weight of the empty collection base recorded, and solvent weight checked prior to recovery. This verifies all the solvent entered has been collected. Once the solvent is collected, nitrogen must be bled off. It is recommended to bring the collection base slightly above the boiling point of the given solvent/blend. By doing so, a small amount of pressure is built up in the collection base. This will prevent atmosphere from entering the collection once all the nitrogen has been burped. Once nitrogen is bled, recovery can be started.

The base Icarus unit is run passively, however a recovery pump can be used.
I hope this helps anyone who owns or is considering an Icarus unit. If anyone has further questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your time and experience

How does one use a pump for recovery? I have one but not sure of the process and temps I should be aiming for.

I was also curious if I could blast CO2 directly into the dewaxing chamber to make dry ice directly in the sleeve?? Then top up with ISO??
MzGrowItAll is offline Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:01 AM #8
MzGrowItAll

MzGrowItAll will become famous soon enough
Can I use nitrogen to push the n-butane through the material column? Or should I depend on temperature?

How long should I allow things toast in the material column for?

I am aiming for shatter as one product and utilizing the waxes collected for lotions.
MzGrowItAll is offline Quote