What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mid Western Hemp breeding.

shithawk420

Veteran
This reminds me of an older thread here called Seed bombs or something like that.like Leahy would say "a preemptive liquor strike!" LMFAO

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Then again farmers can't use Hemp seeds if they produce plants with over 0.03% THC.
Hope none of those Trailer Park Boys pollute Hemp crops with random high THC plants.
Won't take many males to ruin Hemp crops either. :biggrin:

Most hemp grown is monoecious.

shithawk420

Veteran
I definitely value your input mex.if anybody would know on the subject it's you.i didn't mean in a sarcastic way.didnt you start the awesome ultimate sativa thread?

gorilla ganja

Then again farmers can't use Hemp seeds if they produce plants with over 0.03% THC.
Hope none of those Trailer Park Boys pollute Hemp crops with random high THC plants.
Won't take many males to ruin Hemp crops either. :biggrin:

Don't know about the States but in Canada, Hemp crops must be planted with fresh breeder seed every year. No farm-made seed allowed to be grown. So pollinating a field of Hemp with THC males would do nothing to change test results.

Peace GG

Big M

Very good post Big M but at this point I don't see a cure in sight.the damage is done.in my opinion.what you said is a good idea but it would take a couple hundred years no?

I was talking more about incorporating some wild genes into domestic strains to give the domestic stuff a better shot at surviving and maturing outdoors on a local basis. Something like making my sativa finish earlier, or my indica being more mold resistant, while mostly resembling the domestic genes. Should be able to get close to that goal in 15-20 generations.

You're right. There really is no cure for wild pollen, at least not a quick one. It would take a long time to change the genetics of all the wild stock into something smokeable. Even then, if it's still growing wild everywhere, wild pollen will still seed our buds.

I think instead of eradicating ditchweed, we should just accept that it will cause some pollination. By using various cultural methods, such as filtered greenhouses, we can minimize pollination. The genetic variation is too valuable to lose by totally eradicating it in my opinion. Still nothing wrong with killing any and all you find within a mile of your grow, but I feel it's important not to drive the beautiful and annoying stuff to extinction.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I definitely value your input mex.if anybody would know on the subject it's you.i didn't mean in a sarcastic way.didnt you start the awesome ultimate sativa thread?

Thank you :tip hat:, but it was mota who started the ultimate sativa thread I believe.Originally some hemp varieties in the past could have a THC content of 1-2% and a CBD content of 4-5%.Saw an analyse of 1978 of some Ukrainian varieties, but pity that doesn't count for todays varieties.

Who said anything about using Hemp as the male pollinator?

Done that, but pollinating a whole field of monoecious hemp will make no difference since that seed will not be used for the next crop.

'Boogieman'

I was talking more about incorporating some wild genes into domestic strains to give the domestic stuff a better shot at surviving and maturing outdoors on a local basis. Something like making my sativa finish earlier, or my indica being more mold resistant, while mostly resembling the domestic genes. Should be able to get close to that goal in 15-20 generations.

You're right. There really is no cure for wild pollen, at least not a quick one. It would take a long time to change the genetics of all the wild stock into something smokeable. Even then, if it's still growing wild everywhere, wild pollen will still seed our buds.

I think instead of eradicating ditchweed, we should just accept that it will cause some pollination. By using various cultural methods, such as filtered greenhouses, we can minimize pollination. The genetic variation is too valuable to lose by totally eradicating it in my opinion. Still nothing wrong with killing any and all you find within a mile of your grow, but I feel it's important not to drive the beautiful and annoying stuff to extinction.

You don't have to worry about midwest hemp ever going extinct. Millions of seeds lay on the ground in hemp stands. Cops been trying to eradicate it for 50+ years. Birds spread it around in the wild. It would take a nuclear explosion to stop it. You can literally drop seeds somewhere and come back to large plants.

shithawk420

Veteran
You don't have to worry about midwest hemp ever going extinct. Millions of seeds lay on the ground in hemp stands. Cops been trying to eradicate it for 50+ years. Birds spread it around in the wild. It would take a nuclear explosion to stop it. You can literally drop seeds somewhere and come back to large plants.

Exactly.if you guys want hemp seeds I got em.for bad or for worse.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The 100% elimination of ditchweed from 95% of rail, creek, ditch, and private areas nearby that it was in 35 years ago suggests someone is wrong.

redlaser

Veteran
I would imagine you could cut back the populations with regular spraying, shows up in the regular spots from year to year. Depend how much the locals and state cared. Probably a budget somewhere to eradicate it. Doesn’t seem like it would die out on its own from the way I’ve seen it come back in about fifty years of visiting Iowa and living there fifteen years.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It can be eliminated in a single year just by cutting, I've seen the railroads do it several times. Seed not sprouted in the first year never will, and you can throw 10000 seeds on a grassy area before or after winter and come back later and reliably find 0 plants. Now frost seeding or some care is different, in the right spot, but it's not as easy as casual viewers seem to think. I've seen many patches that are just 4-5 plants every year, even though the plants drop hundreds or thousands of seeds.

'Boogieman'

It can be eliminated in a single year, I've seen the railroads do it several times. Seed not sprouted in the first year never will, and you can spread 10000 seeds in a grassy area before or after winter and come back later to reliably find 0 plants. Now frost seeding or some care is different, in the right spot, but it's not as easy as casual viewers seem to think.

In my experience you can toss seed and come back to plants year after year. I even have plants sprouting around my grow spots in spring if my plants get pollinated the previous year.

redlaser

Veteran
It can be eliminated in a single year just by cutting, I've seen the railroads do it several times. Seed not sprouted in the first year never will, and you can throw 10000 seeds on a grassy area before or after winter and come back later and reliably find 0 plants. Now frost seeding or some care is different, in the right spot, but it's not as easy as casual viewers seem to think. I've seen many patches that are just 4-5 plants every year, even though the plants drop hundreds or thousands of seeds.

majority of patches I’ve seen are in the 5-15 plants range, rarely more than twenty. Usually by a fence line or ditch or both. An uncle with a grain farm would have hundreds of them between barns and equipment sheds in back in the late seventies that were about ten inches tall, they seemed to be kept mown when high enough or maybe it was spring and they were young.
I’m not sure if seeds can make it two years, lots of seeds can but canna isn’t the sturdiest seed and lotta hungry critters and moisture generally.
Most plants are globe shaped with mild teardrop type apical structure.
Sometimes there were like 3-4 four foot bean poles, that didn’t seem to be from close spacing. Never tried growing it but have regretted smoking it at 15.

shithawk420

Veteran
Well as far as I know there aren't any hemp farms near me.so it got seeded somehow.lots of seeds.IDK

Cannabisflowers

wild hemp still grows Mn.

wild hemp still grows Mn.

There is wild hemp that's been growing adjacent to the "Renaissance fair grounds" in a Minneapolis suburb since at least late 70's but more than likely since war times. And it's still there today, if you happen to be interested