What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fox farms grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfishy1

Local supplier just started carrying FF products. Yes I realize their product line is not cheap and I'm sure I could save by doing everything myself. However life gets in the way at times and space to cook soil and such become an issue.

I want to run a few plants indoors in soil for my next run.

Does anybody have experience with FF products? If so any suggestions/ tips would be appreciated. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks for time fam. Have fun be safe
1BadFish

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
fox farm is a popular brand and im sure you will be getting a lot of feedback on their various products

as far as their premixed soils go, im a big fan of their ocean forest mix
/another good one would be the happy frog
i loosen it up a bit with some coco coir, but you could go pretty much seed to flower in the stuff if you had to
of course everyone will have their own feeding schedule, but the pre-mixed soils are a decent starting point

so what do you have in mind for your next grow?
likw how big aill your containers be?
what will your lighting situation be like

KushD

^ yep. Foxfarm soil is pretty popular and solid imo. Great starting point like pop_rocks mentioned above. Both the ocean forest and happy frog are good, i like to mix them both up together. I like using just the ocean forest line as well. I think its hotter than their happy frog, and its my preference of the two usually. Ive used foxfarm soils for a lot of my grows and will continue to do so. Highly recommended

Best of luck!

Badfishy1

fox farm is a popular brand and im sure you will be getting a lot of feedback on their various products

as far as their premixed soils go, im a big fan of their ocean forest mix
/another good one would be the happy frog
i loosen it up a bit with some coco coir, but you could go pretty much seed to flower in the stuff if you had to
of course everyone will have their own feeding schedule, but the pre-mixed soils are a decent starting point

so what do you have in mind for your next grow?
likw how big aill your containers be?
what will your lighting situation be like

400 w how in 5 gal pots... really interested in running LED, however haven't done my due diligence to figure out which fixture I want. Always open to ANY suggestion.

Inb4 'not going to do all your leg work for you'

Badfishy1

Also thank you for responses. I get hesitant using 'big companies' such as FF, really like helping the little man out as I fear at times quality suffers in name of quantity. Thank you for reassurance

I echo the previous sentiments. I grow 3 at a time in 5 gal pots and use their Ocean Forest. For me, I don't have to add nutrients until about week 6. The only complaints I've heard about are some people have experienced nutrient burn to seedlings when planted in straight Ocean Forest...I haven't had that problem myself but also hear that the mix pop_rocks mentioned takes care of that. Good luck!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
The only complaints I've heard about are some people have experienced nutrient burn to seedlings when planted in straight Ocean Forest...I haven't had that problem myself but also hear that the mix pop_rocks mentioned takes care of that. Good luck!

yeah, the ffof can be a bit hot for some seedlings and young plants
for young plants i would run as much as 50/50 coco to soil mix depending on the strain and then up-pot them into the full strength mix after they had a chance to establish some roots
/the mix im using right now is about 1/4 coco and i would describe the plants to be moderate feeders

yeah, the ffof can be a bit hot for some seedlings and young plants
for young plants i would run as much as 50/50 coco to soil mix depending on the strain and then up-pot them into the full strength mix after they had a chance to establish some roots
/the mix im using right now is about 1/4 coco and i would describe the plants to be moderate feeders
I've actually never experienced burn, when I did do it with 100% ffof, on my seedlings. But I only did that for 3 grows and now I mix 50/50 new ffof and sifted, used ffof from previous grows. Works so far but since I'm trying different strains each grow I am sure I will find one that will dislike my technique! :biglaugh:

P.P.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, the ffof can be a bit hot for some seedlings and young plantsAs pop rocks stated...agree....tad hot.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Hey Badfishy,

Look at this: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228020

It has a Fox Farm recipe that I've been using for years and years. Especially nice if you're growing from seed.

The reprint of it here neglects to mention perlite. The recipe calls for 8 quarts of perlite. Try it out. I bet you won't be disappointed.

From the link:

"Soil Mixes You Don't
Have to Feed

If you hate mixing up fertilizer each time you water, than this strategy might be for you. Start your seeds in a regular seed starting mix. Than, each time your plant is ready for a bigger container, transplant it into this fertile organic soil mix. If you time it so your last transplant occurs the same time you begin flowering, you should only ever have to give your plants plain water (although I recommend you add Thrive Alive and Maxicrop to your water also).

Begin this soil mix by adding one bag each of Foxfarm Original, Foxfarm Ocean Forest, and Foxfarm Light Warrior. To this mix, add 1 level cup of Foxfarm Peace of Mind 5-8-4 and mix well. I usually begin my plants in the smallest dixie cups I can find, in my seed starting mix. After that, I transplant into a 6 inch container of this mix. Two or three weeks later, I transplant into a 12 inch container. Finally, right as I switch to flowering, I make my final transplant to the next size container (usually a three gallon one). Most of the nutrients are used up by the time I begin flushing them, so it works out well."

You won't be able to find Peace of Mind anymore. Substitute with Happy Frog Fruit & Flower. My personal up-potting schedule and container size is different than what's presented here. But the mix remains the same.

Happy Growing!

EsterEssence

Veteran
Show me on the bag where says it is certified organic by OMRI. I know the definition and fox farm is not organic...Some of their ferts are organic but the potting soil is not...

Badfishy1

Show me on the bag where says it is certified organic by OMRI. I know the definition and fox farm is not organic...Some of their ferts are organic but the potting soil is not...

If you know the definition of organic you would know it means related to or derived from living material. Nowhere did I or anybody else mention a word about 'certified organic'. Now jog on

Badfishy1

Yeah man ya cant go wrong with some ff ocean forest. I have a few 1 L pots and and the girls smell fantastic. Just a different smell and taste from hydro altogether. I also dig the ff trio set. I still use it for my dwc and it kicks ass. Not super pricey as well if you dont have a ton tp spend https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=73679&pictureid=1756355

Thanks for info bud! Will take a look. Interested in DWC at some point, but since season is coming, I spend a lot of time away from home. Just can't leave the lady w all that comes w hydro while I am gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.