What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using OSB in place of drywall?

MtnLivin

What's up guys! I'm in the middle of construction right now and I just had a thought after hanging heavy ass drywall all night. Are there any ill effects for using OSB in place of drywall? I would seal all the seams and screw holes and paint with KILZ, just like I would with drywall. The OSB would save me so much time and my back would LOVE me for it...

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
The only real difference is fire rating. You go from a product that will resist major fire damage to a product that will burn fast. Growing indoors involves high fire risk, it's not the best place to substitute osb for drywall.

queequeg152

Veteran
consider a cheap drywall lift perhaps. also consider light weight drywall. its probably too late already if you have already started... but the 1/2" ultralight drywall is like 30lbs a 4x8 sheet? compared to the 5/8" drywall at 72lbs... thats nothing.

problem with drywall is not the weight though, its the size. almost anybody can get a 90lb bag of portland on their sholder, but you dont have the same luxury with drywall.

this is where the lift comes into play.

but yea... lots of people use OSB inside shit like sheds and barns, its not that uncommon but i disagree with it never the less... due to the fire spread hazard and extra cost.

but if this is in a building seperated from your house and other houses? IDK it could be justified i guess. just make sure you install the OSB properly. the stuff needs a gap of like 1/16" min? it might be 1/8" i cannot recall exactly.

nukklehead

Watch the oil base KILZ ( it off gasses pretty bad) use the latex..really for that matter there is no reason to "seal" any wall. Put on 2 coats of cheapest latex white paint and your good to go.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Other than the fire rating it'll work OK. Getting a decent paint job on the stuff is a pita, however. Keeping safety first, going with drywall, is never a bad idea.

MtnLivin

Watch the oil base KILZ ( it off gasses pretty bad) use the latex..really for that matter there is no reason to "seal" any wall. Put on 2 coats of cheapest latex white paint and your good to go.

Are you sure the premium off gases? It has zero VOC's if that matters...