What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where did the hummers go ?

Garhart

Hi, been living in the SFV for quite a few years and for the first time am seeing almost no hummers . I keep three feeders going and have for years. This time of year is usually a mad house outside my window. Very thin right now .Lots of the small little migratory birds right now headed back up North . Was 84 out yesterday afternoon. I hear the East coast is about to be pounded really hard by a snow storm. Rough times for those living there.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Around here they don't seem to have much interest in feeders until August?

...then, war breaks out at the feeders. :biggrin:

supermanlives

Veteran
they are here.... my neighbor got a feeder and they are coming round .... i left my feeder in the city it didn't seem so important as other stuff... I got some hummer pics from the city haven't uploaded em yet... I really like them guys and their courting and fighting scenes are epic.... the way them little guys fly and maneuver is amazing....

Garhart

hehe, just saw a couple flitting around out there. Love it .
The things of nature mean more to me every day, the other stuff ... well you know !

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hi, been living in the SFV for quite a few years and for the first time am seeing almost no hummers . I keep three feeders going and have for years. This time of year is usually a mad house outside my window. Very thin right now .Lots of the small little migratory birds right now headed back up North . Was 84 out yesterday afternoon. I hear the East coast is about to be pounded really hard by a snow storm. Rough times for those living there.
here in florida, we see many H1s, H2s and H3s... i think GM stopped making them.. sorry! i had to.:laughing:

Garhart

I used to live in a place in Florida that was magical to me . I was real ill, but it was so pretty and isolated on a small chain of lakes. There was a flock of around 30 peacocks that slept in a large tree above my bed . The big male would post the young males on the parameter to protect the colony and I would hear them calling back and forth all night. Checking in with each other as of to say all is well and we are safe. God but I loved those birds. That colony had existed there since the mid fifties. I used to call the place the land of dancing peacocks. Now I live in LA, and it felt pretty magical here to. I called it the land of dancing hummers.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking a whole other kind of hummer and came in to say...Yeah the girlfriend dont do that much any more.... Where the hell did all the hummers go...:biggrin:

But the birds are cool too...

We have a feeder just out of reach of the cats but close enough for them to dream..

paper thorn

Veteran
i hope your yard is abuzz with them soon.
i'll be starting a thread soon with a hummingbird story.

'a bird in the hand' will be the title. no time now, work...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
used to see them in yard regularly around my feeders, did not have a single one this last summer/fall... :^(

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
never got an id on the little guys...theres plenty of em here next to sequoia ...fun to watch em fly

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

:dunno:

aaff5513_zpsitqwbyyn.gif

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
its freaky when their so close ..you can feel the power those tiny bodies generate..them wings buzzing away...