What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Watch The 50 Year Beatles Anniversary Show?

RetroGrow

Veteran
It was pretty cool. Audience full of celebrities were dancing in the aisles. Many good musicians played, and Paul & Ringo were interviewed and performed. Ringo has to be the luckiest Beatle. He can't sing, and is a pedestrian drummer, but he was in the right place at the right time. Unfortunately, the most talented Beatle was murdered by a madman. But the show was very uplifting, and very well done. Paul still does Hey Jude pretty good.
IMO, none of today's artists can even touch them for creativity. Their influence was profound. If you missed it, download it tomorrow.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Hate to admit I saw it the first time.

Had to leave because my older sister and her friends were screaming so loud.
A formative experience that helped to shape my view that girls are basically mentally defective.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
The wife was watching the Olympics and would only flip over during the commercials. lol...So, I went online.

I remember vividly the night we went to my best friend's house to watch the Ed Sullivan Show. With all the screaming, it annoyed me that I could barely hear them. His mom said that John Lennon looked like he had to pee. Bitch!

A local radio station (lol...yeah! it was AM radio!) had a contest for some cheesey prize, if you wrote the word Beatles one thousand times and sent it in. 4th grade puppy love had me missing a few recesses, so I could help her write them! We moved a couple years after that and I learned later that she was a slut in high school. lol...Missed opportunities; the story of my life!

RetroGrow

Veteran
They are repeating the show sometime next week , I think. I saw the promo tonight, but I didn't get the date, except I believe it was a Wednesday, so it's either this Wednesday or next Wednesday.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Hate to admit I saw it the first time.

Same here. was very young but clearly remember it. Was a very big deal back them.
As far as the 50th, I got it saved on the dvr. Watching the olympics. Love the speed skating and ski jumping.

rockymtnbud

Yea, i caught the end of it. They played a few good songs but thought they were covered by to many other bands and not the beatles them selfs...

Ickis

Veteran
Well it was their 50th anniversary. Anyway, John Lennon was by far the most talented Beatle. Harrison's wife was there, as was Yoko Ono.

No he wasn't. Especially "by far".

Paul was better, wrote more songs, better songs and continued to write song afterwards. Lots of songs. He also had a good run with Wings. Go listen to Band on the run. Lennon did not have a Beatlesless album that good.

Checkout Paul's Wildlife album too.

Plus Lennon was a dickhead and a mean prick. And his woman was ugly as they come. He liked to play Mind Games too. LOL!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No he wasn't. Especially "by far".

Paul was better, wrote more songs, better songs and continued to write song afterwards. Lots of songs. He also had a good run with Wings. Go listen to Band on the run. Lennon did not have a Beatlesless album that good.

Checkout Paul's Wildlife album too.

Plus Lennon was a dickhead and a mean prick. And his woman was ugly as they come. He liked to play Mind Games too. LOL!

you all can duke it out on this page.......

Wiki: Beatles Complete Songs & Writers List

In the meanwhile enjoy Rocky Raccoon (Take #8)

[YOUTUBEIF]z7Uf9d8aXr4[/YOUTUBEIF]

RetroGrow

Veteran
Not looking for an argument. Lennon/McCartney wrote the songs. I like both of them. To me, Lennon was the most cerebral, and he does have excellent work on his own. He was a poet. "Imagine" was his best,IMO. Ironically, I was held in the jail cell that his murderer was housed in.
McCartney is more of a pop singer, but with a great ear for a melody. He had more of a "cute" factor. Lennon was more serious, but spoke his mind on "real" subjects, like "god", etc. He wasn't afraid to be judged.
George was a decent enough player, but his solo work was very mediocre.
Ringo was just lucky. I've heard him call himself "the greatest rock drummer in the world". I think we all know that is a joke. There are local bands in every city in the country with better drummers. Ringo would not even make the top 100 as far as drummers go, and he can't sing. Lennon also wrote "Across The Universe", "Mind Games", "Watching The Wheels", "Cold Turkey", "Help", "Come Together", "Working Class Hero", "Woman", "Starting Over", "Whatever Gets You Through The Night", "Give Peace A Chance", "Instant Karma", etc., etc......most of those written without the Beatles, which is why I say he was the greatest "Beatle" by far. His life was cut short, so we will never know what he would have come up with had he lived a full life. I rank him only behind Bob Dylan as a songwriter.

bigAl25

Veteran
Watched it, recorded it, and loved it. I turned on the surround sound and blasted the show from my speakers, even burned a bowl. I must say some of the covers by other artists were outstanding. Great show.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Caught it Thurs night...a repeat of the program. Paul can still sing....and I was first introduced to their song, "ALL MY LOVING'"....those were the days. My favorite albums...Sgt. Pepper and the WHITE album. Looked like everyone in the crowd were enjoying themselves....such an iconic moment.

Ironically, at that time, I was into Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger. Folkie protest songs...those were the days.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I checked it out on YouTube, it looked pretty awesome. Ringo looks 50 and Paul needs to get some work done because he kind of actually does look 70. I love the Beatles and realized today the mispronunciation beat instead of beet is because of the beat,man. Theyre the Beatles. They have lots of beats

Latest posts

Latest posts