What's new

epsom salts

lilman

I love Chronic from serious seeds but I always run into the mag deficiency that comes with growing it. Normally i fix it with calmag but I was wondering if anybody has ever used epsom salts to fix it instead of using a store bought product.

Thanx for your time, te lilman

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
make your own soil ? hydro?

if you do soil do you lime up good or?

epsoms will fix your problem, though. should check into why your getting mag def's though..

B

boo

I add 1 tsp. per gallon on every other feeding when in veg and wouldn't consider any other way...it works great and keeps all the girls green...

lilman

make your own soil ? hydro?

if you do soil do you lime up good or?

epsoms will fix your problem, though. should check into why your getting mag def's though..

Thanx for responding habeeb. I Grow in straight promix and i feed with AV sensi 2 part. PH is 6.3 for water and nutes. Ive grown a few strains over the years, chronic always seems to want more mag though..i guess she's just a hungry lil girl =)

Te lilman

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
I used to use epsom salts but I find blackstrap molasses to be a superior source of Mag for soil or coco. All my plants are very green and the leaves have a healthy waxy shine.. Sometimes I stick my face into the canopy and they tickle me teeeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeeeeeee :dance:

Trust me switch to blackstrap molasses they'll have plenty of mag and would love to get phatter off the carbs.

Mr.Mist

If you want to feed carbs to your plant you should use a product like aphrodite's extraction by NFTG..
Mainly because it is plant available and doesn't need to be broken down by bennies, unlike molasses.
It contains dextrose, sucrose and lactic acid wich all are superior in terms of feeding bennies. It also contains vitamins A, D, C, E, B1, B6 and B12.
It can be used in all hydro systems since it is water soluble and contrary to molasses it won't create froth in bubblers...

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
I used to use epsom salts but I find blackstrap molasses to be a superior source of Mag for soil or coco. All my plants are very green and the leaves have a healthy waxy shine.. Sometimes I stick my face into the canopy and they tickle me teeeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeeeeeee :dance:

Trust me switch to blackstrap molasses they'll have plenty of mag and would love to get phatter off the carbs.

Pretty much I never looked back from blackstrap mollases I have a 30lb sack Of salt works Epsom salt that's been collecting dust for 6 years. I guess I could use it for baths.

Mr.Mist

Pretty much I never looked back from blackstrap mollases I have a 30lb sack Of salt works Epsom salt that's been collecting dust for 6 years. I guess I could use it for baths.

When using molasses you're raising levels of iron, calcium, potassium and sodium along with magnesium..
When using epsom salts you're only raising your sulphur content along with magnesium..

I guess what works best depends on the mineral content of your nute solution..

I like to see epsom salts as a superior magnesium supplement, compared to molasses, because it can be used in hydro and foliar sprays..

I also like to stay away from molasses because I use aphrodite's extraction as a carbohydrate supplement, wich I prefer because it is plant available, it is easier for microbes to utilize and it can't kill bennies(as opposed to molasses)..

Not that molasses is a bad source.. It's great for soil, just not the best IMO...

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
When using molasses you're raising levels of iron, calcium, potassium and sodium along with magnesium..
When using epsom salts you're only raising your sulphur content along with magnesium..

I guess what works best depends on the mineral content of your nute solution..

I like to see epsom salts as a superior magnesium supplement, compared to molasses, because it can be used in hydro and foliar sprays..

I also like to stay away from molasses because I use aphrodite's extraction as a carbohydrate supplement, wich I prefer because it is plant available, it is easier for microbes to utilize and it can't kill bennies(as opposed to molasses)..

Not that molasses is a bad source.. It's great for soil, just not the best IMO...
I don't know about all that other than the nutrition and sugars of molasses but what I do know with a simple mix of Mex/jam bat for veg and flower + molasses i'm able to produce top shelf for a little bit of nothing at all. I haven't seen a deficiency in well 6 years since the switch. People on here say Guano isn't the best as well I just shrug and keep growin. With the Super strong elevated so cal sun I have they'll beast without the best :biggrin:

pappy masonjar

Veteran
I don't know about all that other than the nutrition and sugars of molasses but what I do know with a simple mix of Mex/jam bat for veg and flower + molasses i'm able to produce top shelf for a little bit of nothing at all. I haven't seen a deficiency in well 6 years since the switch. People on here say Guano isn't the best as well I just shrug and keep growin. With the Super strong elevated so cal sun I have they'll beast without the best :biggrin:

Do you use the guano as a top dress?

Ive been expermenting with top dress only with guanos and such..

any chance you could elborate on your grow methods a bit?
:tiphat:

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
Do you use the guano as a top dress?

Ive been expermenting with top dress only with guanos and such..

any chance you could elborate on your grow methods a bit?
:tiphat:
pappy im k.i.s.s. as they come I don't brew I may top Jamaican in Flower sometimes but usually I just eyeball the teaspoons right into a gallon jug of RO water a dab of molasses not much at all shake it up right into the plant it gos if I didn't pre mix it into gallons (this is same day don't let that molasses guano combo sit too long especially the Mexican guano nitrogen... the 1 gallon water containers have exploded on me when I first started using it in the summer indoors and that "shit" isn't fun to clean up). I have sandy soil at my spot I mixed in 2x 3 cft sunshine sphagnum peat to my native sandy soil and a couple hand fulls of perlite had some extra Peruvian pellets laying around those went into my 6 x 6 holes and that was that rain water capture and ro water hopefully next season all Rain water. It does the job no soil test no ph'ing just k.i.s.s.

Mr.Mist

I'm a hobbyist and I don't get alot of fun out of keeping it simple.
For me it is all about learning, tweaking and advancing.
It's not about getting weed cheap or easily, it is about having fun, playing around..

I guess I'm just a kid, whom never lost interest in nature. :)

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
i have been doing some reading regarding magnesium and sulfur. do any of u guys think that sulfur is one the compounds that helps make the taste more pronounced? all the sweeter products that i have looked at so far all has sulfur in higher amounts then which leads me to think that sulfur brings out the floral aromas. i dont know this for sure its just my own ideal and opinion just from reading the products contents,so i could be 100% wrong on thinking this. what do u guys think about this?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have always used some so its hard to know really.. but I have heard that many times from quite a few diff folks... I don't wanna deprive mine of sulfur and find out....yeehaw

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I have always used some so its hard to know really.. but I have heard that many times from quite a few diff folks... I don't wanna deprive mine of sulfur and find out....yeehaw

lol ya me either. i am gonna use a bit of epsom salt during the last 2 weeks of flower on 1 my plants and see if it makes a huge difference from the others that i just do my normal routine on.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
it might not make things better if you already have suffiecent levels of sulfur..more might not do squat or make things worse..people that have seen improvements might of just had low levels??? ..yeehaw...let us know how it goes for ya..

slender

I love Chronic from serious seeds but I always run into the mag deficiency that comes with growing it. Normally i fix it with calmag but I was wondering if anybody has ever used epsom salts to fix it instead of using a store bought product.

Thanx for your time, te lilman

here is a link to infirmary upon a journal of my mag deficiency i cured with epsom. read the comments. i top dressed until it went away and still begin to top dress as needed. if u top dress epsom make sure u add plenty. your plants will like it.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=308536

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Mineral levels in the plant tissue is what affects the color of ash--magnesium makes ash whiter.
My post in a different thread--
In the cigar world, the color of ash has everything to do with minerals in the soil and very little about quality.

From the "cigar adviser" http://www.cigaradvisor.com/articles/cigars-101/smoking/who-cares-about-your-ash

When I was back in the customer service department, I would receive an occasional customer call insisting their cigars were bad. In fact, they were always the worst cigars the customer ever tasted. No, even worse; they were so bad, they would make people violently ill to the point where hospitalization would be the only means of full recovery, and even still, that person would have to undergo decades of psychiatric therapy to free his mind of all the horrors the cigars had on his life. Of course I never believed these flamboyant claims; and trust me, I actually received calls just like this. But like a good employee, I pried into why they were the worst cigars in the world since that was my job. Nine times out of ten, the answer would be because the ash color was black instead of white.

Again, I seriously had people call and give me stories like these. The flashback to the dark days in the call center actually came to mind when I was speaking to a cigar blogger over the weekend named Peter. The issue came up since I was smoking a Cusano 18 and the ash was relatively dark, and I pointed it out to him. His reaction was as normal as the sun is bright; he slapped me on the back of the head and told me to stop whining. He was right though, I shouldn’t be complaining about a dark ash. There is no reason to considering ash color as an indication of the taste of a cigar. Ash color is perhaps the most insignificant thing you can analyze when smoking a cigar.

Let me explain: Ash color only has to do with the levels of magnesium contained in the tobacco leaves. The lighter the cigar ash, the more magnesium there is and the opposite is true of darker cigar ash. However, the level difference is so minimal in the cigar, it is nowhere near noticeable on your palate. Instead of looking at color, look at the overall ash quality. This tells the story of your whole cigar as you puff through it. Say your cigar ash is flaky. This usually means that you are smoking a short filler and it can become a nuisance since the ash will most likely break off constantly. If this is the case, don’t smoke and drive without a Road Warrior Ash Can. Also, if the cigar splits in the middle, this usually means the middle is not keeping pace with the perimeter of the cigar. When the wrapper is burning faster than the filler and binder, this is a caustic burn issue and can alter the flavor of the smoke, so you will not taste the blend the manufacturer intended. To fix this, just stop puffing for a few minutes so the inside can catch up.

If you really want to analyze the ash on your cigar to ensure a quality cigar, do not look at the ash color. It is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Instead, pay close attention to how the ash splits and breaks off as you smoke in order to better analyze the quality of your burn. After all, the quality of the burn is what really defines the flavor of the cigar.

Cigar ash colors and associated minerals:
magnesium = white ash (the whiter it is--the more magnesium)
calcium = lighter color ash (chief element in cigar ash)
potassium = darker color for domestic, but white for cuban cigars
equal amounts of minerals = grey streaked with white veins

Hmmmm, I think overdose in ferts, particularly potassium is the primary culprit for dark ash in our world, after all--potassium phosphate is 0-50-30 (found in: Beasty Bloom, Cha-Ching, Moab, etc).

My $0.02, cheers!

LOL, if you want your herb to leave behind white ash, then add lots of magnesium....right?

For root feeding I add Epsom Salts at the rate of 5ml/gal and the lower rate of 2.5ml/gal for foliar spraying.

Latest posts

Latest posts