What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When You Make a Perfect Cookie Recipe - but don't Understand Exactly what you're doin

St. Phatty

I made the same cookie recipe hundreds of times over about a 15 year period.

Reading now as I maybe prepare to make some butter, about Decarboxylation etc., I realize a little more what happened with my cookie recipe.

Basically the recipe was -

Storebought Pillsbury or similar cookie dough, 1/2 a roll or more

1/2 ounce of high test bud

I would mix it together, and then cook it.

I always found that it worked best when I burned the cookies.

Looking back and thinking about it - especially the part about the boiling point of water being 212 F, I realize that during the first part of the baking process, e.g. 15 minutes, the dough-Cannabis mixture didn't get any hotter than 212 F.

Then, once the water was heated off, it would really start heating.

I always found it worked best to burn the cookies a little bit. It looked like it was smoking on the edges, but I think that was just steam rising.

The outside of the cookie I made, one big 12 inch diameter cookie, would be blackened.

I wouldn't eat that, I would eat the inside.

The recipe would say you need to bake the cookies @ 425 F for 20 to 25 minutes.

So I always hovered over the oven towards the end part, until it looked properly burned.

That was a judgment made according to experience, but without much education, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I didn't use a thermometer in the cookie, just the oven thermometer and the appearance of the cookie.

I would estimate that it was Decarb'ing the last 10 or 15 minutes, when the water was gone and the cookie dough had the appearance at the end of burning.

Do I sort of have it right ?

I'm going to make sugar cookies today or tomorrow using some Sativa from Winter 2018.

I will use my normal procedure, but I thought, well, since you guys are experts, maybe you could explain my baking process in slightly more scientific terms.

Hope I have explained the procedure thoroughly enough.

Thanks for any info ! :tiphat:

St. Phatty

This is what it ended up looking like -

attachment.php

35 minutes at 375 on the left, 35 minutes at 400 on the right.

The less burned cookie tastes a lot better.

The more burned cookie might have a better amount of Carboxylation

Took a small piece, maybe 4 grams, of '375', gave it 75 minutes, medium buzz.

Took a smaller piece of '400', maybe 2 grams, major buzz within a half hour.

I've always used informal techniques like this to figure out what dose of cookie works the best.

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_190744_+__.jpg
    IMG_20181020_190744_+__.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 27

Gry

Recall reading a British source from India which said that bhang cooked for 4 hours was an improvement over bhang cooked for two. Bhang cooked for 6 hours was an improvement over the 4 hour version. Bhang cooked for 8 hours was an improvement over the 6 hour version...
Badkittysmiles left a countertop decarb process which works like ringing a bell for me:
https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction

St. Phatty

https://www.facebook.com/remarcablefoods

Marc Boyer makes the best cookies I've ever had.

He uses the leaves, too. He showed me the left-over leaves once. They were like hay, completely extracted.

I think that might mean, there's CBD in his cookies.

The effect of the sugar cookies he was selling in 2004 - I was smoking cigs at the time.

After eating about 3/8 of one of his cookies, which are a decent size, about 4 inches in diameter, the high lasted about 12 hours.

I had zero appetite for tobacco, & slept good.

3/8 was a little too much. I got off the Sky train at the wrong stop and felt drunk walking home.

He's got a cool cookie factory.

T

Teddybrae

Hiya St P! No Science ... kitchen wisdom here ...

Here's our recipe: (sorry but measurements are metric.)

125g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup custard powder (this may be omitted just add extra 1/4 cup flour)
1/3 cup coconut
3/4 cup dope dust. (grind/sieve 28grams (1 ounce) heads. DON'T exceed 3/4 cup or mixture will not bind together!)
3/4 cup flour

Method: Beat butter and sugar and milk until combined.
Add other ingredients ... mix well.
Roll into balls (about half a golf ball size) place on tray and flatten with fork.
Should make about 30 biscuits depending on size of ball you make.
Bake at 180 CELCIUS for 15-20 mins (like you say St P, 'til edges brown.)
You can add a pinch or two of your favourite spice into dry ingredients.
I think it's convenient that 1 biscuit contains, more or less, 1 gram of dope!

Others I 've talked to about this method of ingestion say that temperatures like these shouldn't cook out the terpenes. All I know is that I 'm shit faced after a 1/4 of one of these biscuits. We eat about 3/4 a day and there's little hangover next morning.

Bye now ...