What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Harvest Cup-Worcester, MA-Dec 16&17

Americangrower

Veteran
Anyone heading up there tomorrow be sure and go by Excelsiorextracts booth. Talk with Outkasssst and TOH. Maybe grab some top notch stuff..oh as a bonus gab some of my free seeds.

Joe Schmoe is in town as well so you just might run into him at the booth.

Magnificat

I'm on the fence on this one. My nephew and I would love to go and I live very close to the DCU. Are the vendors like grimm, mrnice, etc going to be selling packs there?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Well I didn't get my picture in the Globe like last year but there was a nice article again.

Sounds like the turnout was seriously down from last year.

With marijuana shops open, pot convention gets serious

WORCESTER — Less than a month after the debut of legal marijuana sales in Massachusetts, thousands of consumers from around New England descended on this city Saturday for the second annual Harvest Cup — an industry convention, product competition, and celebration of cannabis culture.

The large, diverse crowd roamed the floor of the DCU Center, where the two-day event is taking place. As many as 2,000 people attended on the first day, and as many as 5,000 could pass through by the time it ends on Sunday evening, organizers said.

The number of competitors and categories in the namesake Harvest Cup competition also grew, with 60 judges evaluating a wide variety of marijuana flower, concentrates, topical creams, edibles, and vaporizer cartridges.

“The standard is really getting higher now that more people have heard of us,” said Jeremy Borjeson, one of the Harvest Cup’s cofounders. “You have to have a pretty good game, no matter what you’re growing or making. No new grower is just going to come in and win this thing — it’s all experienced people.”

Competitors, Borjeson added, “come from every aspect of life. We have one guy who was a cop for 27 years and now he grows some of the best weed you’ve ever seen in northern Maine.

Among the dozens of vendors were several state-licensed medical dispensaries, each preparing to enter the nascent recreational market. Others included manufacturers of CBD creams and advocacy groups that lobby for equity in the marijuana industry.

Tyeshia Cowans, the co-founder of Mother Flower, was chatting with customers about her firm’s CBD products, sourced from hemp grown in Maine. Cowan said her company is trying to find real estate where it can open a licensed marijuana growing or retailing operation, but progress has been slow.

“Even trying to find a commercial kitchen that won’t say, ‘Hey, you can’t make CBD stuff in here,’ is difficult,” Cowans explained.

Still, she noted that the Harvest Cup, where vendors were showing off jars of legally-grown cannabis, “would never have happened a couple years ago.”

“This is a huge thing,” said Cowans, who left behind jobs as a security guard and teacher to join the marijuana industry. “You’ve got lawyers, you’ve got doctors, you’ve got teachers — all kinds of people in this space.”

Kyle Camyre, a 35-year-old Palmer resident, took the prize for best outdoor-grown marijuana. His champion entry was a highly potent strain dubbed Green Venom, a five-way cross of different parent strains. He grew the crop outside his home and studio, where he makes and sells elaborate glass beads, checking on the plants frequently as he worked.

“I did it organically with natural soil and rainwater, and the buds grew really long and tall,” Camyre said. “It has a very sweet, pungent taste, and the high is very cerebral.”

Armed with the title of best outdoor grower in Massachusetts, Camyre said he plans to apply for a job at Altitude Organic Corp., which is working to build a licensed cultivation facility down the road from his home in Palmer.

“I took it really seriously this year,” he said, cradling his trophy, “and somehow it happened.”

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Next year I will enter my Outdoor, Indoor, and Concentrate.

I will hopefully be challengeing you on the indoor and outdoor category :biggrin: thats my goal for next year, gonna really get my shit together this year. Got a good mix of seeds to go through to hopefully find something special. Good luck overgrow!

Americangrower

Veteran
How much was it to enter, I see they changed it from the ridiculous 2oz last year to a reasonable 18g this year. But I can't find how much it cost per entry.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
My boy won 1st place with his lemonades :woohoo:

picture.php

Not sure what he got for winning but I thought it was fun walking around with him and people congratulating him on Sunday. He sold out of lemonades and IMO its a way to help build a reputation if you're trying to get/be in the industry. Whats $150 and a couple ounces if you're trying to be a serious grower and maybe gain legal employment from it. I know I gave away a solid ounce to different peeps and got a lot of compliments on my bud from people who see a good bit of bud :biggrin: also left with a little over 10 grams of rosin pressed from my own grown, which was/is a cool feeling dabbing your own stuff.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I will hopefully be challengeing you on the indoor and outdoor category :biggrin: thats my goal for next year, gonna really get my shit together this year. Got a good mix of seeds to go through to hopefully find something special. Good luck overgrow!

Awesome! A Chemmy Jones s1 won it this year.... so....
I think you will have a very good chance at dethroning the champ 2 years running. I have a guy on IG running my
Chemmy Jones x (Blueberry x SweetTooth) now. It looks nice!

This year will be the Year of the Pioneer. Im focusing on breeding a true champion for next years Harvest Cup. So much FIRE to play with!!
Im hoping Meltingpots original Chemdog x SourDiesel bx1 will bring a nice male to the table. :tiphat:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Awesome! A Chemmy Jones s1 won it this year.... so....
I think you will have a very good chance at dethroning the champ 2 years running. I have a guy on IG running my
Chemmy Jones x (Blueberry x SweetTooth) now. It looks nice!

This year will be the Year of the Pioneer. Im focusing on breeding a true champion for next years Harvest Cup. So much FIRE to play with!!
Im hoping Meltingpots original Chemdog x SourDiesel bx1 will bring a nice male to the table. :tiphat:

Yeah I was looking at the entry`s this year and there was definitely some quality, but I could have competed this year. While I prob wouldn't have won 1st I definitely wouldn't have come in last. Like you I am gonna be on the hunt for something special for next year. I don't bread but I have a decent variety of some known to be strong plants:biggrin: gonna start back up soon popping and testing as many as I can by then. I have some chem d seeds to go through (15) given to me by someone who seemd to be important, as people were taking pics with the guy lol. Gonna have to ask my buddy who some of the people were as he is friends with them and I am terrible with names lol. Might have to learn how to bread but was rather hoping to just come across a gem instead of having to build it. Got some dark heart genetics gear original bruce banner and lemonjedi (46 seeds), a small (25 seeds) variety of Chunky`s gear, some MLI (10 seeds)which was strong but my first grow so I know it could be nasty, along with a mix of indica's (20 seeds) from sensi. Then this plant that was given to me last year as a seed but unknown hermied indoors because it was stressed, but ran to full maturity so seeds should be good (@50). But anyways that unknown strain when run outside with no stress produced some nasty very lemony flower. So hoping some of those hermi seeds can produce maybe something special. At the very least the lemonene produced is worth extracting for pain even if it wont win a comp :biggrin: Also wanted to mention that I talked with chunkys friiends at diamond genetics so now I have a place to physically go and buy seeds as I prefer to buy things in person :woohoo:

Americangrower

Veteran
Pretty sure it was 150. Whole reason I didn’t enter
Thats what it was last year but wasn't sure about this year..thanks

My boy won 1st place with his lemonades :woohoo:

View Image

Not sure what he got for winning but I thought it was fun walking around with him and people congratulating him on Sunday. He sold out of lemonades and IMO its a way to help build a reputation if you're trying to get/be in the industry. Whats $150 and a couple ounces if you're trying to be a serious grower and maybe gain legal employment from it. I know I gave away a solid ounce to different peeps and got a lot of compliments on my bud from people who see a good bit of bud :biggrin: also left with a little over 10 grams of rosin pressed from my own grown, which was/is a cool feeling dabbing your own stuff.

DJ and Lynne Lemon iced tea with Outkassst lemon thai. I guess we know the same people.
As for $150 you may be right about people who are doing it for profit, but us homegrowers who don't sell anything have the best bud. I can't see spending $150 to prove Who's dick is bigger.:biggrin:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Thats what it was last year but wasn't sure about this year..thanks

DJ and Lynne Lemon iced tea with Outkassst lemon thai. I guess we know the same people.
As for $150 you may be right about people who are doing it for profit, but us homegrowers who don't sell anything have the best bud. I can't see spending $150 to prove Who's dick is bigger.:biggrin:

We definitely know the same people :biggrin: were you there on Sunday? Did I meet you ? I had the neck brace on. I agree about the dick swinging contest but I would still like to win a cup just for my own piece of mind.