What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Atomic gardening: creating useful mutants through radiation

sadpanda

i was watching a Tedx talk about the future of synthetic biology - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AebzoN9hfM0
and it introduced me to something i hadnt heard of before - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_gardening
just need some cobalt-60 and uhhh... a way not to fatally expose yourself to it i guess, lol. Sounds fascinating though. 75% of all red grapefruit sold in the USA are a result of atomic gardening! navel orange is my favorite mutant lol, albeit natural not atomic :p
The gamma gardens were arranged in a circular pattern with a retractable radiation source in the middle. Plants were usually laid out like slices of a pie, radiating from the central radiation source; this pattern produced a range of radiation doses over the radius from the centre. The plants nearest the centre usually died, the ones further out often featured "tumors and other growth abnormalities"; beyond these were the plants of interest, with a higher than usual range of mutations, but not to the damaging extent of those closer to the radiation source.

Last edited:

Genes

Sounds pretty nasty and the wrong direction for most of the genetic work people are doing trying to restore to the gene pool.

raven44

It's actually really awesome imo

One can cross two strains in a lab w out the need of a male. Simply to female cells fused in a cetrifuge in the right type of solition...

It's simply natural selection of genetics by a human if u will. And it gives the human the capabilities to isolate certain genetic characteristics and then work w those characteristics to introduce those characteristics to another culture and stabilize the culture for that set of characteristics

Gry

With a little nuke waste and a lack of ethics anyone can join the monsanto revolution.