What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Human Shit is good Fertiliser

Night soil as the Koreans refer to it. Might also be why they are full of parasites, worms, and diseases. Rule of thumb, don't use the excrement from anything that eats meat.

We had a national scare/alert...about 3 or 4 years ago ... Blue berries that had been imported from China had been contaminated with some form of hepatitis, which was passed on to consumers.
After an investigation, it turns out the blue berry trees had been fertilized with human excrement.....

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
https://youtu.be/hUXNiVW3oc4

This one's for you Brother nature... You cannot deny facts but you can ignore them... It's your opinion after all... Remember Bill is the one with the shovel digging himself in his hole

PS wait until near the end of the video after his talk of green house gases then he gets into his AGENDA and if you look closely enough through research you'll see all he is involved with...

h.h.

Veteran
We had a national scare/alert...about 3 or 4 years ago ... Blue berries that had been imported from China had been contaminated with some form of hepatitis, which was passed on to consumers.
After an investigation, it turns out the blue berry trees had been fertilized with human excrement.....
If you have worms, parasites, or disease, don't poop on your blueberries...
I don't eat roadkill. Eat a healthy diet. My poop don't scare me.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
If it is awful smelling, it is awful and if you are smelling it then bad bacteria is entering you. There are I'm sure intelligent ways to use shit but putrefying and spraying is not one of them. A farmer with any integrity will either aerate, compost or properly ferment their crap prior to use; individual craps in the field excluded.

It is like the putrid dairy manure sludge sprayed on many fields. Disgusting and wasteful.

Not trying to argue with you and no way in hell am I putting human excrement on my plants but I wouldn't say all bacteria that smell bad are harmful. Nitro fixing bacteria can be pretty harsh on the ol' olfactory glands. Photosynthesis plus aka fart in a bottle smells like...well...shit lol but its a product I wouldn't grow without.

Been watching this thread for the entertainment value and must say I'm intrigued by the people experimenting and interested in their results:).

Dog Star

Veteran
This thread reminds on those one where some used menstruation for growing plants..

This one is perfect thread for coprophiles..

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not trying to argue with you and no way in hell am I putting human excrement on my plants but I wouldn't say all bacteria that smell bad are harmful. Nitro fixing bacteria can be pretty harsh on the ol' olfactory glands. Photosynthesis plus aka fart in a bottle smells like...well...shit lol but its a product I wouldn't grow without.

Been watching this thread for the entertainment value and must say I'm intrigued by the people experimenting and interested in their results:).

Exactly the reason why some genius humans stumbled upon fermentation eons ago. I have fermented many a nitrogen fixing bacterium and phototrophic organisms resulting in a quite acceptable smelling transformation which applied to soil/plants had very miraculous effects. The same consortia could also be 'allowed' to putrify and still have an excellent effect upon the soil/plants but may not be so great for me to inhale to large degree.

There were times when we applied relatively fresh chicken manure to our fields. This was likely not the most responsible thing to do so far as the local atmosphere but the odors did dissipate rapidly and the improvement to our organic hay was undeniable. This was done only once per year. In later years we spread aged horse and cow manure which was completely non-offensive to the olfactories and even somewhat pleasing to smell but produced the same benefits. The nose knows but is a subjective beast.

The dairy slurry I'm referring to is purposefully allowed to putrify in large holding ponds. It is applied often with large sprayer tanks or through irrigation. I wonder what the health effects are upon the farmers and neighbors longterm. I think local streams do not fair so well. The farmers with a little education could improve this amendment both agriculturally and 'atmospherically' by choosing to aerate or ferment the solution.

The same principals could be applied to human waste. It either should be dropped individually in the field, spread after drying/aging, thermophiically composted or fermented (like bokashi). Additionally fed to worms would be optimal.

Still one would need to investigate whether any amount of refinement would reduce the presence of medications in human and some animal manure.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Exactly the reason why some genius humans stumbled upon fermentation eons ago. I have fermented many a nitrogen fixing bacterium and phototrophic organisms resulting in a quite acceptable smelling transformation which applied to soil/plants had very miraculous effects. The same consortia could also be 'allowed' to putrify and still have an excellent effect upon the soil/plants but may not be so great for me to inhale to large degree.

There were times when we applied relatively fresh chicken manure to our fields. This was likely not the most responsible thing to do so far as the local atmosphere but the odors did dissipate rapidly and the improvement to our organic hay was undeniable. This was done only once per year. In later years we spread aged horse and cow manure which was completely non-offensive to the olfactories and even somewhat pleasing to smell but produced the same benefits. The nose knows but is a subjective beast.

The dairy slurry I'm referring to is purposefully allowed to putrify in large holding ponds. It is applied often with large sprayer tanks or through irrigation. I wonder what the health effects are upon the farmers and neighbors longterm. I think local streams do not fair so well. The farmers with a little education could improve this amendment both agriculturally and 'atmospherically' by choosing to aerate or ferment the solution.

The same principals could be applied to human waste. It either should be dropped individually in the field, spread after drying/aging, thermophiically composted or fermented (like bokashi). Additionally fed to worms would be optimal.

Still one would need to investigate whether any amount of refinement would reduce the presence of medications in human and some animal manure.

Can't argue with anything you said. That anaerobic shit slurry is no good...can't deny that.

Dog Star

Veteran
Microbeman is right... aerated poop have totaly different action than non-aerated one..

cows dont wish to use pasture that was sparayed with non-aerated poop while they
gladly accept those grass that was fetrilized by aerated poop..

I bet they know it by a smell...

And i dont talk about human poop.. but they react same on other animal poop same if is aerated or non-aerated..
animals are smart in compare to human animal..

S

Sertaiz

roadkill is goddamn delicious if you

--- get it fresh, relatively. if its cold you have a lot longer. if its frozen its probably good.

--- cut off the good stuff and don't clean a roadkill carcass. deer get hit all the time and they are good....... fat this time of year

St. Phatty

Maybe in a million years, there will be deposits of People Guano and earth will be populated by intelligent bats - who grow Bat-Cannabis.

They will go the store and pay $4 a pound for Jamaican People Guano.

Of course it will be dried & powdery and MAYBE have little smell (to a bat).

Dog Star

Veteran
Maybe in a million years, there will be deposits of People Guano and earth will be populated by intelligent bats - who grow Bat-Cannabis.

They will go the store and pay $4 a pound for Jamaican People Guano.

Of course it will be dried & powdery and MAYBE have little smell (to a bat).

Maybe if plastic can transform in guano... after us they will found
shitload of plastic garbage,naylon baggies and dirty naylon baby diapers in Earth deposits..

St. Phatty

Maybe if plastic can transform in guano... after us they will found
shitload of plastic garbage,naylon baggies and dirty naylon baby diapers in Earth deposits..

From "Schwilly" in the other thread -

"If you eat food in the US you consume human fertilized plants. Municipalities sell sewage sludge, which is exactly what it sounds like, to farmers who in turn spread it on their fields as cheap fertilizer."

as far as plastic - one possible bright spot is finding bacteria that eat plastic.

Of course, that could obviously go sideways if the bacteria decides to eat other things. Like breast implants.