What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Switching from 13 hours darkness to 12 hours darkness. Will they herm?

Question for you all.

During some electrical renovation, I had no choice but to turn my flower rooms lights off for 4 hours.

In order to not have to reset my timers, I left the timers connected to power and simply turned all the tickers to off. I used small light fixtures to keep the one room whose lights were supposed to be on awake.

Now my problem is this. When I went to reset the timers, it was difficult. The timers didn't sit perfectly still, So in order to ensure that I wasn't going to upset the plants I had the lights turn off early by one hour.

So they are currently on a 13 hour dark schedule, and have been for 4 days as I haven't had a moment to reset them.

Now I'm worried that if I reduce the dark period back to 12 hours, I will cause them stress and cause them to hermaphrodite.

As far as I know, 12 hour photoperiod will make them continue to flower. However, I'm not sure whether or not I will cause them herm level stress by reducing the dark period.

Thanks.

insomniac_AU

I've always run 12/12 but this year I've run 11/13 the whole cycle with no noticeable difference. You could just leave them.

RockinRobot

It shouldn't hurt to set them back to 12/12 but as Insomniac said I always run 11/13 since I run Sativa dominant plants and it actually helps them finish a little faster and hasn't effected quantity in any noticeable way.

St. Phatty

13 hour dark period = October lighting

12 hour dark period = September lighting.

Sounds like the plants had a few days of October lighting, then you switched them back to 12/12.

My guess is, they will continue loving you back, and growing accordingly.

Always good to watch for nanners though.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd just leave them where they're at and reset your timers on the next plant cycle.

But to answer your question...
Most plants will be just fine with moving back to 12/12.

Thank you all. I've just decided to move them back to a 12/12. Was going to try a spray of ethephon (Monterrey Florel, Optic Foliar, Dutchmaster Reverse, etc) as a preventative as well as to evaluate it's effect on the flowering plants in response to some studies I read about it.

Thanks all for the help!

scrogrow

It won't mate I've been down to 8hrs light during flower with certain sativas

Basically during flower when the lights are out the hormones that produce flowers are thriving

therevverend

Veteran
Indoors is a different beast then outdoors logically it should be the same but you can make some serious fuck ups equating the two.
Switching from 13 to 12 hours of dark shouldn't and probably won't make any difference. It all depends on the strain most do just fine. But you look at the potential for disaster one plant going intersex can create. One thing I learned growing indoors is if things are working not to shake the apple cart.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm usually more concerned about lights going on in the middle of a dark cycle. Adding or subtracting an hour of light has never caused me issues. When doing a complete change from one time of day to another, I leave the room dark until the new cycle lights-on time. :)