What's new

How many kW heater circulator do I need?

I'm trying to determine the amount Watts or kW that I would need in order to maintain approximately 12 gallons of water at 110 F. The water will be flowing through 3 different jacket honey pots that will have about 25 gallons of a propane/butane mixture in two of the vessels and one at about 15-20 gallons. Thank you

I'm trying to determine the amount Watts or kW that I would need in order to maintain approximately 12 gallons of water at 110 F. The water will be flowing through 3 different jacket honey pots that will have about 25 gallons of a propane/butane mixture in two of the vessels and one at about 15-20 gallons. Thank you

Just need to know the equation I saw it on the forums once but can't find the post if someone could please help

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just need to know the equation I saw it on the forums once but can't find the post if someone could please help

Waters specific heat is 1 btu/lb/F.

Maintaining it at that temperature is a function of replacing the losses. How many pounds of what mixture are you evaporating?

Waters specific heat is 1 btu/lb/F.

Maintaining it at that temperature is a function of replacing the losses. How many pounds of what mixture are you evaporating?

It's mainly 100% propane and there's usually about 60 to 70 lbs split between three different honey pots

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Propane would ostensibly come out of a passive system at its boiling point of -43.6F, so cooling it down a degree should return it to liquid state.

Using the Engineering Tool box latent heat for propane of 184 btu/lb, and specific heat of .39 btu/lb, 184.39 btu/lb X 70 lbs =12,907 btu to be replaced.

Most chillers are rated in BTU per hour, so you need to decide what time frame you want it removed in. There are also heat losses in the system, so I would divide my answer by .8 to give myself some margin.

Last edited:

pusbag

I use a 4k watt explosion proof hot water recirculator. Makes a lot of heat, heat is vapor and vapor is speed.

Latest posts

Latest posts