What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4X4 TENT Curing & Drying Rack/cabinet Humidifier & dehumidifier?

p0opstlnksal0t

will the little 4 pint peltier/tec dehumidifiers be powerful enough to keep a 4x4 tent full of wet buds around 62% RH or under? like one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-4...272765&hash=item360673975f:g:ZqkAAOSw3xJXoO-e

I plan on using a humidistat to control a humidifier and dehumidifier in a 4x4 tent for my curing and drying needs. the plan is for it to keep a target RH of 62-63%.

For humidifying needs i will use a HOH single head 20mm fogger in a bucket.

p0opstlnksal0t

the tent will be in the basement. its constantly about 55f-60f and RH between 60-70%

I built a multi-tiered drying rack system out of PVC pipe and plastic bird netting inside the tent with a 16" fan in the middle bottom blowing strait up on low speed.

I usually harvest between 10-20lbs (dried weight) over the course of 2 weeks (i spread out my chopping)

p0opstlnksal0t

i might set everything up and do a dry run for a few weeks before i cut anything down. test how high the RH gets without any load in it then i will pick up a dehuey based on what the rh remains inside.

i plan on keeping it sealed up. no venting, so the only rh load the dehuey will have on it will be that of the plants as they release their own water vapor as they dry.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
That dehumidifier is going to fill up fast. Only 4 pint capacity. And, most of them shut off when they fill up. Not sure a 4x4 tent is going to hold 20 pounds. I use a 3x5 and usually dry 2 or 3 pounds at a time.

I leave mine in the tent for 2 weeks at 60% and 70F. If it goes before 55%, I freak. I also use a dehumidifier way bigger. I think it has a 2 gallon capacity but I use a hose directly to a drain so I don't have to empty it.

Even if you rotate and only leave it in the tent for a week, that will be 5 to 10 pounds at a time. Pretty tight. I like a lot of air flow (real slow air flow) around my buds when they dry.

Just tossing out some comments. Hope you don't mind.

p0opstlnksal0t

i had planned on tapping a little bulkhead and running tubing out to the basement drain so i wont be emptying.

I kind of figured it would be tight. i estimate that i can fit about 1-1.5lb dried buds per shelf/net and i have 12 shelves high. its built like a giant food dehydrator... i was thinking i would chop half my crop, keep it in the tent for 2 weeks then chop the lower half of the crop after and rotate the previous crop out. I wet trim as well... if that makes a difference.

bloyd

Veteran
Drying 10-20 pounds with a 4 pint peltier dehumidifier lol. Ya I'd consider a dry run. Those dehumidifiers are joke.

p0opstlnksal0t

ive never seen them in action or used one. i guess im going to have to used a compressor unit. i wasnt a fan of introducing this heat load into a sealed 4x4 tent. Ive cured in paper bags in a closet for years lol. this will be my first "bigger" curing/drying setup.

p0opstlnksal0t

eh. i think im going to scoop up a refurb 30 pint compressor unit on ebay. the lowest wattage unit i can find so it doesnt introduce too much heat... theres a refurb unit now for 110.00 shipped and for 30 bucks extra ill get the 2 year square trade warranty... POWER INPUT 350W, OPERATING CURRENT 3.1A

i dont really want to experiment with the small peltier units and have my goodies get messed up lol.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Just FYI, I very seldom use the dehumidifier. I use the humidifier more.

I guess it depends where you live and what the humidity is like in the room where the tent is located.

For me, I am always fighting low humidity. I can control most of the RH in the tent by adjusting the exhaust fan. If it gets too humid in the tent, I can just draw more air into the tent and exhaust more humidity and I am cool.

However, if the pot starts drying out too fast, I use the humidifier to boost the humidity in the tent.

So, a lot of your procedure (and equipment) depends on the environment the tent is in.

p0opstlnksal0t

Just FYI, I very seldom use the dehumidifier. I use the humidifier more.

I guess it depends where you live and what the humidity is like in the room where the tent is located.

For me, I am always fighting low humidity. I can control most of the RH in the tent by adjusting the exhaust fan. If it gets too humid in the tent, I can just draw more air into the tent and exhaust more humidity and I am cool.

However, if the pot starts drying out too fast, I use the humidifier to boost the humidity in the tent.

So, a lot of your procedure (and equipment) depends on the environment the tent is in.

the tent/curing rack will be in the basement. its constantly about 55f-60f and RH between 60-70% sometimes up to 75%.

I will do a "dry run" of the tent i guess. ive got a bunch of culled clones/veg plants i will chop and throw in there to test the load of the humidity with vegetative matter in it. this will help me narrow down the system.

p0opstlnksal0t

Trying to design new rack system. Let me know what you guys think...

The first design will be easier to slide in and stack them. It's about 50 bucks more in pvc parts to build

The second design has legs that fit into the shelf below so it won't just slide into place they will more or less lift up about an inch and interlock into the rack below.

https://youtu.be/gAmziMcf4tU