What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin Cost vs Bud Value

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't see the advantages of creating and selling rosin vs selling good bud. Apart from the dabbing trend, what's the benefit? Is it only useful to recover from trim? Wouldn't you lose money making rosin from your prime bud?

What am I missing here?

Easy7

Veteran
Most of the time, at least in my area, good flowers lose value making concentrates. But concentrates hold value longer than flowers. There just is not a lot of market currently, for fancy products. Concentrates are a luxary and not budget user 'quality'.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Try selling flowers in Cali atm, $600 a P if you can find a customer

MrBungle

I'd only press rosin with what I can afford to use myself... In my market.. everyone smokes flowers but wants rosin.... so they buy flower and I make them rosin with it... using the pucks for edibles afterwards is where you bank from

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
If you make extracts, it is all about adding value, including convenience, while getting max yield from your material with reasonable setup costs. Some processes do this better than others. I get at least 25% yield using -50C ethanol and very high quality flowers. So, that is at least 7 grams of shatter per ounce of flowers. Add terpenes and load into carts or use for edibles that you make yourself for even higher return. I am not sure about rosin, as reports of lower yields and limited long-term shelf life steered me into a different direction.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Depends on the prices you get and how much yield you get. If you get 20 percent yield on an elbow, you get about 90 grammes of rosin and at 50 bucks a gramme that gives you 4500 for those 90 grammes right? I have seen good rosin selling for 90-100 a gramme, so half the yield at low price is 2250 a lbs high price and higher yield is 9000 if you did the retail. If those are the prices, it sounds like a good return to me.

Easy7

Veteran
Thing is not everyone has a store. To get a high price and move bulk is rough. Same with flowers. Sure, there might be someone willing to pay high and for bulk. But it's rare and nearly always a discount wholesale type of thing. People are afraid here of burning thru cash. They want a buzz to last so they go for budget weed (brick). If I had a choice I'd spend my $30 on some decent bubble than brick. But people here don't usually know much about the trade. They are purely consumers and will pay $50 for seedless brick. Trailer park market.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Limey is on the right track but the numbers are tighter. Unless it's a vertically integrated operation self processing, you're looking at half of retail. Weedmaps and the like make it easy to get an idea of retail in your area.

As well, a 600-700 dollar ounce of solvent extract looks a heck of a lot better today than it did three years ago. Many processors are bypassing the storefront now.

There is a lot of interest in prohibition areas or where concentrate is scarce. For some the weed is so cheap it is equal to or less than the cost of other extracts.

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I only keep the best flowers as flower, the trim is ethanol extracted. All the less than perfect buds are tumbled for rosin and ethanol extraction. This method works the best for me to get all of use-able product from the plant...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I only keep the best flowers as flower, the trim is ethanol extracted. All the less than perfect buds are tumbled for rosin and ethanol extraction. This method works the best for me to get all of use-able product from the plant...

Smart.
How do you keep the chlorophyll out?

EsterEssence

Veteran
Smart.
How do you keep the chlorophyll out?

I freeze the kief, and ethanol in my home freezer overnight, mix together, shake it well, let it soak overnight, shaking the container occasionally a few times that day, Strain with coffee filters the next day, and boil off the ethanol. The oil is a descent golden color. I use a gallon of ethanol per kilo of kief...

Kushron

Yup

Yup

Depends on the prices you get and how much yield you get. If you get 20 percent yield on an elbow, you get about 90 grammes of rosin and at 50 bucks a gramme that gives you 4500 for those 90 grammes right? I have seen good rosin selling for 90-100 a gramme, so half the yield at low price is 2250 a lbs high price and higher yield is 9000 if you did the retail. If those are the prices, it sounds like a good return to me.

In my experience it all depends on if you have a market for it

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's the same everywhere.

You have to find the fruitcakes waxing on about turps and how healthy they are now that they're off the tane.