What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What have you found to have the biggest seeds?

angelgoob

Sam. Gimme.

Did I convince? Maybe i need to use more tact.

I will direct my energy toward you like the spirit bomb.

That was a good one thinking altitude could affect seed growth. I am always thinking about it.

I saw your seeds on a website. I know because this website also said 12 seeds to a gram asia food seed and 800 from kasimir kashmir?

Anyway I have 13 techniques to try and make big seeds. Don't ask me why though, first I produce them. Then I will tell you why I did it.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i found in personal experience the largest seeds come from indica's and the smallest from sativa. i mostly grow bagseeds and my own strains. but out of everything someone else made that i grew out, the smallest seed were from cannaventures grapefruit dlite(thee re prolly the tiniest seeds i've ever popped), and the largest were either the g-13 from gypsy/DG or the gold rush from Redeyed Genetics.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Good luck unless you are growing acres and acres of breeding stock.
If you want big seeds get Yunnan where they grow them for human food, they crack them in the mouth and spit out the shells.

13 techniques to try and make big seeds? I would just grow massive amounts and use the plants that yielded the largest as parents for the next crop. As for males I would use the males only from just the females that gave the biggest seeds the year before.

BTW the Yunnan I bred was very low in THC and after 5 years it was even lower THC was below .05 way below any limits. I used GC to be assured that none of the plants used for breeding had any significant THC at all. I tested all 1,000 plants each of the 5 years for THC and only used for breeding the lowest with the biggest seeds and the highest overall seed yield. I also made it much earlier flowering so they can be grown outdoors in Canada, that was very successful.
It worked quite well, but was not cheap to do.
My goal was a large Cannabis seed for Canada that could be shelled and sold for humans, a bit like pinon nuts. My work is completed.
-SamS

Sam. Gimme.

Did I convince? Maybe i need to use more tact.

I will direct my energy toward you like the spirit bomb.

That was a good one thinking altitude could affect seed growth. I am always thinking about it.

I saw your seeds on a website. I know because this website also said 12 seeds to a gram asia food seed and 800 from kasimir kashmir?

Anyway I have 13 techniques to try and make big seeds. Don't ask me why though, first I produce them. Then I will tell you why I did it.

angelgoob

thanks sam.

yea I don't have the best setup to do it.

I can release my techniques if you want. It's pretty nice. It's above just selecting for size and weight. It includes environmental stressors.

I am going to get a little itty bitty tiny scale. one so I can see the decimals for the smalllllll seed. So I can pick the big ones.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
These are the small ones with the big ones I think but am not sure what the count per gram was of the big in the photo, 12-20 per gram I would guess.
-SamS

The tiniest seeds I ever saw were the occasional dark seed I found in Thai sticks around '71 and '72...
But even they were gigantic compared to the tiny seeds in your photo.

I've seen some really big ones before but I don't remember what they came from.
It did seem that even the ripe ones were usually much lighter in color than normal sized seeds...

mushroombrew

Veteran
Wow Sam those are big!! My friend is an Orchid collector and spends lots of time in the Triangle. He came back from Chiang Mai with seeds stitched into his jeans!!

GIANT golden/yellow seeds. Not immature. No stripes and 4-5 times the size of an NL seed!

Made hybrids will no ceiling and no tolerance. Rippers hit my GH. Had a jar of seeds in the shed fridge... the day I didn't have beans stashed. They took them all...shit. Lost forever.

pinkus

Veteran
BTW, the Trainwreck bx seeds I had from Billy Goat were quite small and were long compared to their girth. I crossed some Satori to the best male and all the seeds look much more like the big Satori seeds.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Uh, the smallest ones I have are those from Armenia. Maybe 2 mm in diameter or half the size of a "standard" seed (if there even is something like a mean seed size).
The biggest ones I have are, IIRC, from Deep Chunk and from a Slovakian landrace; the cross of these two still awaits testing.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Uh, the smallest ones I have are those from Armenia. Maybe 2 mm in diameter or half the size of a "standard" seed (if there even is something like a mean seed size).
The biggest ones I have are, IIRC, from Deep Chunk and from a Slovakian landrace; the cross of these two still awaits testing.

Deep chunk forgot about that. Yes big buggers.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What good are big seeds?

One of the best strains i have, has little tiny seeds... am i missing out on something?

Good luck unless you are growing acres and acres of breeding stock.
If you want big seeds get Yunnan where they grow them for human food, they crack them in the mouth and spit out the shells.

13 techniques to try and make big seeds? I would just grow massive amounts and use the plants that yielded the largest as parents for the next crop. As for males I would use the males only from just the females that gave the biggest seeds the year before.

BTW the Yunnan I bred was very low in THC and after 5 years it was even lower THC was below .05 way below any limits. I used GC to be assured that none of the plants used for breeding had any significant THC at all. I tested all 1,000 plants each of the 5 years for THC and only used for breeding the lowest with the biggest seeds and the highest overall seed yield. I also made it much earlier flowering so they can be grown outdoors in Canada, that was very successful.
It worked quite well, but was not cheap to do.
My goal was a large Cannabis seed for Canada that could be shelled and sold for humans, a bit like pinon nuts. My work is completed.
-SamS

Well that answers that :biglaugh:

I was thinking, inside the box, in regards to drug cannabis.. But that makes sense

angelgoob

giphy.gif

It's time to breed!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Cannabis is a Dioecious Obligate Outcrosser and requires large populations to maintain a seed variety, or even to breed most new Cannabis seed varieties, even if the large population was just used to find elite clones to use in breeding or production, as done with breeding new strawberry clones. They will make a new hybrid and select a new clone from 20,000 or more seedlings, that performs the best for their needs.
-SamS

angelgoob

Sam, you brought up one of my techniques.

It's combined with another technique, because you have to think like a plant.

Cut off all the buds except a couple, on a big plant. Let it stress out maybe. Then fertilize with pollen. Then ensure that when the next generation is bred, that a lot of the plant population survives. It won't rely on numbers, especially if you make your plants compete with each other. It will then think to create less seeds are a higher weight. I will also have them in varying situations. Making sure the phenotypes and different way survive.

And starve them as seedling! Relying on only seed energy, this will tell the next gen to focus on more seed energy.

Give it low light, using all it's energy on the shoot. Next generation it may shift from root to shoot energy.

I have a few other techniques. Good old reptile UV bulbs.

a bag called chem kush i had once had some ping pong ball like seeds lol. conversly, ken estes original GDP (from seed, the grand daddy purple seed company packs) had the TINIEST seeds ive ever seen, like a quarter the size or smaller of average seeds.

Kankakee

a study was done regarding thc/cbd production on the flowers / trichomes.

80 plants out of 80,000 had not trichomes as the study was geared towards drug production on plants and the author considered it a small sample. so selection for outlier / advancement can be time consuming and massive in scale.

Kankakee

sourced some hemp seed from central burma / laos region with traditional yunnan characteristics, some very large seeds, very tall plants.

angelgoob

thanks kankakee.

I will be you know. THinking about shoot size and how they're grown that way together SOGGED like.

So. I think with autos I could do this.

angelgoob

I am back.

Here's what I learned.

I got big seeds, bot not massive.

They grow bigger, better cotyldeons and can handle anything you throw at them.

They're heartless, yet give life.
One coty is larger. WTF
On all of them.
Funnaaaaaaaay.