What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2nd Build-DIY COB with Vero 29's x 6

Gathering materials for my second build. Looks like 4 purchases will be necessary. This build will replace a 600w hps thats in a 5x5 tent. No where near enough light for that space. Build 1 was to supplement the hps, however I love it so much I decided to replace the hps with more led. After all is said and done, build 1 and build 2 will light the 5x5 space at 750 watts maxed out. Plan to dim at first till i get them dialed in. I feel 600w led should give lots more PAR and coverage than the 600w hps. We will see.

Parts list:
Newark.com (6) Vero 29 3500k 80cri; (6) Pico EZ-mate connectors. $170
Mouser.com (2) hlg-240h-c2100b; (2) apv-12-12. $160
Amazon.com (6) arctic alpine 64 plus; thermal grease. $95
Home Depot for frame and mounting/hanging hardware. $???

I'm guessing around $450 total cost. Already have the chips and connectors. Still need to order from amazon and mouser. Drivers won't be in stock till 3/25 so in no hurry.

Plan to run (3) 250w drivers at 200w a piece, for 600w total. If needed I'll give em everthing the drivers got.

So I'm hoping 10 high power cobs will be enough for my 5x5. Any input appreciated.

Peace, Roast.

Parts ordered. Should have everything by next weekend to build. Decided to make 2, 3 Cob lights. Will use aluminum L bar for frame with drivers and heatsinks attached. Will try to post the process to help others to DIY.:tiphat:

Peace, Roast.

jikko77

any idea on how to place the led on that 5*5 space?
lurking around to see what design it will have :)

any idea on how to place the led on that 5*5 space?
lurking around to see what design it will have :)

Plan to center build 1 (4 Cree cxb3590's) and put 3 vero's on each side of that. Hope to have about 1 foot spacing between COB's. If more are needed, I will add more. It's fun to build these rigs.

Peace, Roast.

Some pics of first build. 4 CXB3590 (36v)CB bin. Mean Well HLG-240H-C1750B driver. Some sheet metal found in waste bin at jobsite is the frame. Arctic 64 plus coolers.

IMG 5215

20160227_082241.jpg

20160227_171042.jpg

Peace, Roast.

Nice build, sweet, simple, clean and efficient, a good example of DIY.:good:

Thank You Firebrand.:tiphat:

So build 2 has begun. For the mechanical I used angle aluminum 1/2" 1/20" thick. Found at Home Depot for $6.50 per 8' stick. 4 pieces at 28" and 2 pieces at 6 1/2". Used eyelets with 2 nuts each to secure the 4 corners and used 8-32 screws to secure center rails.
Here's a pic of frame pieces.

attachment.php

With the hardware attached.

attachment.php

With the chips mounted.

attachment.php

Made some mistakes on drilling and tapping (broke my tapper). Found that you don't need one if you just use a 7/64 drill bit the M3 screws will tap for you.

Also would like to add that you can fit 6 cobs and 2 drivers on this footprint if you have the bucks and want to blast your space. I'm going for more spread with my setup.

Next up is Electrical.

Peace, Roast.

Attachments

• 20160401_171422.jpg
    20160401_171422.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20160401_171305.jpg
    20160401_171305.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20160401_171046.jpg
    20160401_171046.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Nice rigs! I just built some CXB3590's and love em! I was going to build some vero29 next let us know what you like the best. The specs look very similar but vero's are a lot cheaper. Mingfa has passive heatsinks for 12 bux gonna go fanless on the next build. Best of luck to ya brotha!

Nice rigs! I just built some CXB3590's and love em! I was going to build some vero29 next let us know what you like the best. The specs look very similar but vero's are a lot cheaper. Mingfa has passive heatsinks for 12 bux gonna go fanless on the next build. Best of luck to ya brotha!

Wow thanks Donkeybrains!:tiphat: The Alpine Arctic 64 plus that i use is $13.69 on Amazon Prime. The driver to push 4 fans is $6 and change. Keeping your COB's cool benefits you in efficacy and longer lifespan. Could be overkill for my setup as i have excellent air exchange, but you know that anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

Peace, Roast.

That is a viable disadvantage with active cooling. Was you chips wired in series or parallel? If parallel it may have been thermal runaway. Also what are you driving them with?

Peace, Roast.

jikko77

nice design, remind me of something :D.
i did put out the driver out the g.b. with a cable 1.5m long, i'm in love with it, give a look man :tiphat:

nice design, remind me of something :D.
i did put out the driver out the g.b. with a cable 1.5m long, i'm in love with it, give a look man :tiphat:

Thanks jikko77. I know a good design when i see it.
Do you mean have the driver outside your growspace?
Do you have a link to check it out?

Peace, Roast.