What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama

bopper

Hi dubi,

You just made my day! We definitely have a spot for an indoor practical Panama that finishes in 10-11 weeks. :cool:

When I began smoking, the fine herb from Panama (mainly the Red) was highly-prized. We smoked only sativas, because we didn't have anything else. :D

We didn't realize how good we had it.

Best,

bopper

Diego

nice stuff there dubi, I didnt realise you were the person from the high times or whatever magazine or OG you had a bunch of exotic sativas if I remembered correctly. Nice stuff there.

KamelRedLight

Beautiful! I have Panama Red bag seeds from 30 years ago that I'm trying to sprout. If any do, could I expect results like yours here? I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seed cracking method for old seedstock.

Use a screw-top glass jar, w/ metal lid. Punch a hole thru the lid to fit an air hose. Seal w/ silicone sealant. When dry fill jar w/ water,seeds and if possible, a few drops of DMSO. Screw on lid and attach hose to working fish pump. Leave for 24-48 hrs.
Proceed w/ normal germinating technique. Courtesy of Steve Tuck

Best of luck, KamelRedLight, and welcome! :wave:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
bopper said:
Hi dubi,

You just made my day! We definitely have a spot for an indoor practical Panama that finishes in 10-11 weeks. :cool:

When I began smoking, the fine herb from Panama (mainly the Red) was highly-prized. We smoked only sativas, because we didn't have anything else. :D

We didn't realize how good we had it.

Best,

bopper

Good day bopper!

Im sure 70s was a romantic and interesting time for breeding. The scene we all know today was almost virgin at that time. People started to breed with imported sativas like panama, columbian, thai, mexican etc ... Indicas came later to the scene (late 70s-80s) and breeders and growers started to experiment with indica/sativa hybrids, which compose a big part of the genepool we have today.

It's a pitty that most of the old imported sativa lines have not been preserved in pure form. What it was so commoun, now is a rarety. Another consequence of the sad war against cannabis.

G

I think I'll have to pick up a pack of Panama, Panama Red and Columbian Gold have always been near the top of my 'must smoke' list, and not being around in the 70s (I'm 32) the only way I'm going to find out what all those old-tim heads tell me about this classic herb is to grow my own. I've successfully grown Columbian Gold indoors and it's a 12 weeker that gets pretty tall so needs careful pruning and some tying down so I like the sound of the Panama being adapted to indoor situations.

The Panama looks very different to the Columbian Gold, the bud stucture is completely different, here's some Columbian bud shots for comparison, the Panama looks denser to me.

PA180023.jpg

PA180024.jpg

PA180019.jpg

PA180018.jpg

PA180022.jpg

PA180013.jpg

PA180008.jpg

PA180014.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
KamelRedLight said:
Beautiful! I have Panama Red bag seeds from 30 years ago that I'm trying to sprout. If any do, could I expect results like yours here? I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Hi KamelRedLight!

Pure Panama sativas (which are very related to columbians) usually grow very bushy, tall but not lanky. The flowering times are between 3.5-5 mounths, depending on the subvariety and growing conditions.

Of course, you can get good results with your Panama. If they are 30 year old, you have a great chance to find something special.

Our panama is a hybrid composed by different panama sativas. We have bred her in a temperate latitude for high yield, high potency and quality. Pure original tropical panama have fluffier flowers. They are more delicate with temps and light and they take longer to flower. But you have all the potential there to breed. :smoke:

All the best with the germination.

Thanks Diego,Highlighter and idontgivenames for join the thread.

Have a nice day! dubi

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
British_Hempire said:
I think I'll have to pick up a pack of Panama, Panama Red and Columbian Gold have always been near the top of my 'must smoke' list, and not being around in the 70s (I'm 32) the only way I'm going to find out what all those old-tim heads tell me about this classic herb is to grow my own. I've successfully grown Columbian Gold indoors and it's a 12 weeker that gets pretty tall so needs careful pruning and some tying down so I like the sound of the Panama being adapted to indoor situations.

The Panama looks very different to the Columbian Gold, the bud stucture is completely different, here's some Columbian bud shots for comparison, the Panama looks denser to me.

Hi British_Hempire! Thanks for share your yummy columbian pics! :canabis:
How are the aromas and effect? Looks very interesting!

Panama and Columbian genepool is diverse. They are usually high yielding, tall and bushy sativas but each subvariety has its own peculiarities.

Chaman commented about this theme with great thoughts. Columbian gold are usually more related to the extreme tropical sativa phenotype. They are very tall and lanky plants with airy buds and flowering time around 5 mounths.

I have a Chaman's columbian gold clone outdoors now in November. While pure Hazes and thais are starting to flower slowly, columbian gold is still growing with only pre flower signs. :bigeye:

The Panama Red pistillate we used in our Panama hybrid has a more robust structure, denser flowering,a shorter flowering time of 3.5 mounths and a higher resin production than the extreme tropical columbian gold sativa.

You can also find extreme red/purple tropical sativas there. Cannabiogen's Panama grows tall, lanky and needs 4-5 mounths to flower, producing purple/red airy buds.

There's lot of genetic diversity to enjoy and to preserve. :smile: dubi

Last edited:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Wow, that's a sweet looking strain. Being a tropical grower, I'd love to have pure Panama Roja or some Oro Colombiano. A cross would be nice too...especially a worked one, but I love the pure strains too. I did some pure Indian sativa last year...I was totally unprepared to invest over a year in growing them, but man, it is great smoke with no ceiling! Tall and lanky with a sweet, floral aroma..very sexy. The branches were so thin and bent under the bud weight. In future, if I grow the Indians out again, I'll make sure I stake them up well. I let the tallest go to nearly 12 feet, but it was bent under its own weight.

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Well I am old enough...

Well I am old enough...

to remember the Panama Red...in the hood we called it "chickenhead"...the brothas selling seven cent sacks (you could get 2 grams for $7...we called it seven cents :D) would pace their corner sayin' "chickenhead aint dead" :biglaugh: We also called it "redbud"....enough nostalgia
dubi said:
Some panama green bud shots and details :abduct:

Damn...gonna go check Seedbay.... and hit you up later about some strains after some recearch....very nice

peace

KamelRedLight

dubi said:
Hi KamelRedLight!

Pure Panama sativas (which are very related to columbians) usually grow very bushy, tall but not lanky. The flowering times are between 3.5-5 mounths, depending on the subvariety and growing conditions.]

Omg 5 months? I will certainly be LSTing, but that's good news that they grow more bushy. No sprouts yet, but I'll definitely share the grow once it begins. Thanks for the info!

mark6699331

All i have to say is Oh my God! I haven't had red since like 1983 listening to the Wall. ANd where can I get these seeds. Would they grow in humboldt?

-M

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
mark6699331 said:
All i have to say is Oh my God! I haven't had red since like 1983 listening to the Wall. ANd where can I get these seeds. Would they grow in humboldt?

-M

High Mark!

Our Panama would finish around late October there without any problem. We have done the last panama tests in a mediterranean climate with similar climate and latitude to California.

Our Panama should be available in Seedbay and Seed Boutique in the next days!

Thanks for the interest! dubi

mark6699331

EXCELLENT! We had a great season here this year-warm (60-70's) and only one rain in october. People let stuff go into november. I was told that some of the panama and colombo gold were grown at elevation of 5,000-8000ft. Is there any truth to this?

and what's the expected yield?

thanks
-M

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
mark6699331 said:
EXCELLENT! We had a great season here this year-warm (60-70's) and only one rain in october. People let stuff go into november. I was told that some of the panama and colombo gold were grown at elevation of 5,000-8000ft. Is there any truth to this?

and what's the expected yield?

thanks
-M

Good day mark!

Of course, some columbian varieties like purple columbian and santa marta have a highland origin. They are tropical plants which can resist better the climate variations and cold conditions than lowland tropical sativas.

If you let our Panama grow big and bushy outdoors you can expect real BIG yields. Specially when grown directly in soil.

You have very good outdoor conditions to grow sativas. Im glad you have had a sunny october. Here October came rainy. Panama red and green i have posted resisted almost 3 weeks of intense rains without any mold problem.

I hope it helps.dubi

mark6699331

Is any of the purple colombian going to be available too? W'ere definitely gonna do an outdoor panama red grow if these seeds come up soon. I'm so glad these landrace strains weren't lost as it looked for awhile as if they were. Nice work-can't wait to see more from ace seeds. You'll have to check out my humboldt seed co. products as they come out this spring!

take care

-M

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
mark6699331 said:
Is any of the purple colombian going to be available too? W'ere definitely gonna do an outdoor panama red grow if these seeds come up soon. I'm so glad these landrace strains weren't lost as it looked for awhile as if they were. Nice work-can't wait to see more from ace seeds. You'll have to check out my humboldt seed co. products as they come out this spring!

take care

-M

Good afternoon mark!

The closest to the highland purple columbian would be the purple haze pheno. I'd love to get pure purple columbian but never had the good luck.

Im flowering a columbian gold clone, seeds sent by Chaman ( thanks friend!). Will post pics of the most tropical plants soon.

Good luck with the new seed adventure! Please, keep us updated when everything is operative! dubi

mark6699331

Hey Dubi, where would I find this purple haze pheno? Is it available? If you guys would like to test some humboldt seeds this spring, keep me in mind. I'd love to forward you some of our med. beans. Have a great sunday!

-mark

Latest posts

Latest posts