What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

MakaLacka

It really is an adventure 40deg, you're spot on with there being literally unlimited variations/recipes you can make and each will be unique.
Fantastic, let the inner artist flow! :artist:

Like Tangwena says, a good mushroom trip or intense weed experience can really can really be the thing we need to put life in perspective.
It's not quite as serious as the world would have you believe hah!
I wish you good health and send some positive vibrations your way friend :dance013:

MakaLacka

Gday Tangwena, hope all is blissful on your side of town! Sunny morning here in queensland.
I took out the cobs to dry a bit more over night, but with the cold weather they barely lost any weight.
I think people have mentioned using a dehydrator to dry cobs.
Even just the airflow would help imagine, just set it to the lowest temp?

Maka :dance013:

Tangwena

Veteran
Gday Tangwena, hope all is blissful on your side of town! Sunny morning here in queensland.
I took out the cobs to dry a bit more over night, but with the cold weather they barely lost any weight.
I think people have mentioned using a dehydrator to dry cobs.
Even just the airflow would help imagine, just set it to the lowest temp?

Maka :dance013:

The three tools I need at the moment are vacuum sealer, yogurt maker and dehydrator with these three the cobs can be controlled at all times.
I am sweating an A5 x Malawi cob as we speak in my yogurt maker after drying the maize husk wrapped cob earlier its all fun and games.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm gonna try this. The only thing I'm a bit confused with is we start with wet weed?. We do not dry at all before we start this process?. Please clarify..

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm gonna try this. The only thing I'm a bit confused with is we start with wet weed?. We do not dry at all before we start this process?. Please clarify..

Good on you my friend for giving it a go if you follow the directions closely and get it even slightly right you will have opened your eyes to a whole new way of enjoying your favorite herb that you never new existed.
You do need to partially dry the buds.
How long it takes to dry them will of course depend on the type and size of the buds. I like to dry them to the point the stems bend and dont snap.
If you tried to smoke a joint of the flowers it would go out after every drag. I am sure we have all been there when the buds are still to moist to stay alight but still look dry.
Usually in my climate 2 to 4 days hanging depending on relative humidity levels.
If they are too dry it will take longer to cure but will not cure at all if the buds are fully dry as in dry enough to smoke normally.
Get this stage right and the rest will follow.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good on you my friend for giving it a go if you follow the directions closely and get it even slightly right you will have opened your eyes to a whole new way of enjoying your favorite herb that you never new existed.
You do need to partially dry the buds.
How long it takes to dry them will of course depend on the type and size of the buds. I like to dry them to the point the stems bend and dont snap.
If you tried to smoke a joint of the flowers it would go out after every drag. I am sure we have all been there when the buds are still to moist to stay alight but still look dry.
Usually in my climate 2 to 4 days hanging depending on relative humidity levels.
If they are too dry it will take longer to cure but will not cure at all if the buds are fully dry as in dry enough to smoke normally.
Get this stage right and the rest will follow.

I'm good with drying weed the normal way.. . I was just unsure of how wet/dry the cob process starts. If it's too wet it will mold.. If it's too dry it will not ferment. I'll just do a normal dry down(58% rh) and start the process from there.

:thank you:

Amazing thread. I am very much looking forward to cobbing some of my Ace crosses.

I think at first I will attempt the method of un-pressed pseudo find that I saw performed in jars. Is there any significant difference in the Effects, or the long term Preservation of the jar fermented buds, or canaries, compared to the traditionally pressed and rolled done?

Tangwena

Veteran
Amazing thread. I am very much looking forward to cobbing some of my Ace crosses.

I think at first I will attempt the method of un-pressed pseudo find that I saw performed in jars. Is there any significant difference in the Effects, or the long term Preservation of the jar fermented buds, or canaries, compared to the traditionally pressed and rolled done?

Hi my friend good on you for giving it a go I have done both compressed and loose both work but I found the looser the cure the more prone to mold that was the only negative effect.
Strength wise its always down to the quality of the pot you use it will not increase the power but does change the effects that the power produces.
The easiest first up is to roll a fat tube or any other shape but use at least an ounce and just vacuum it in a bag.
The vacuum will compress the buds the shape is unimportant.
This is a good method as you can see the color changes through the clear plastic bag. Once you feel confident you can then experiment with other methods.
But first get a handle on what is going on and how you made it happen from there it will be easy.

Ok thank you very much for the advice!
i will harvest some early and try rolling it in parchment paper with a sushi mat first, if mold is a concern. Especially since my sativa hybrids are more dense than the really true old-school sativas. I definitely don't want to risk mold until I have a better understanding of the process.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Zamaldelica x kali china

36 hour sweat @ 40-50c (+/-) - no husk, rolled and pressed into shape in parchment paper and then removed and sealed naked in vac bag - buds were 3 to 4 days dried. Crispy on edges but still wet af in the stems and bud interior -
- after sweat some small drops of water in vac bag, very minimal. Bag was dried with paper towel and cob patted dry
- resealed and kept @ 30c 4 days, checked for smell
(very nice pungent terpy effervescent with a bit of sweet fruit ferment)
- checked 2 days later ( perfect smell, like last time but a bit more sickly sweet, still very terpy but a dark smell starting to creep in like it was time to stop)

cob is now unwrapped and sitting in my drying tent for a bit - felt very dry to the touch but very bendy and heavy feeling

​​​- how long should i dry it for?
Im ready to let it develop in the next stage

Attachments

• photo2055017.jpg
    photo2055017.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 24
  • photo2055018.jpg
    photo2055018.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 20
  • photo2055019.jpg
    photo2055019.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2055020.jpg
    photo2055020.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 22

Tangwena

Veteran
Zamaldelica x kali china

36 hour sweat @ 40-50c (+/-) - no husk, rolled and pressed into shape in parchment paper and then removed and sealed naked in vac bag - buds were 3 to 4 days dried. Crispy on edges but still wet af in the stems and bud interior -
- after sweat some small drops of water in vac bag, very minimal. Bag was dried with paper towel and cob patted dry
- resealed and kept @ 30c 4 days, checked for smell
(very nice pungent terpy effervescent with a bit of sweet fruit ferment)
- checked 2 days later ( perfect smell, like last time but a bit more sickly sweet, still very terpy but a dark smell starting to creep in like it was time to stop)

cob is now unwrapped and sitting in my drying tent for a bit - felt very dry to the touch but very bendy and heavy feeling

​​​- how long should i dry it for?
Im ready to let it develop in the next stage

Hi my friend from your description you have done a perfect job a slow dry to a smokeable moisture level is what your after but be aware not to take too long as mold might take hold if left moist too long outside the bag.
The core must be very slightly moist but still dry enough to smoke which is the best way to test the moisture level if a joint made with some of the core which can be obtained by slicing a cob in half.
Does not go out in a joint its ready to reseal for aging.
Once sealed you are golden with a bit of experience you will be able to judge this easily.
Nice work my friend that looks perfect from your pics and post.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Ahh ok - perfect!
Thanks for the detailed and expert advice and explanation. I think im starting to get it :)
Your cobs look so great. I was very happy this time, at each stage, to find something similar to what you show and talk about. Ill try to get some macro shots of the resin on the cobs. It’s already a nice golden color.

Tangwena

Veteran
Ahh ok - perfect!
Thanks for the detailed and expert advice and explanation. I think im starting to get it :)
Your cobs look so great. I was very happy this time, at each stage, to find something similar to what you show and talk about. Ill try to get some macro shots of the resin on the cobs. It’s already a nice golden color.

Excellent I would love to see those macro's as would other cob club members I'm sure.
I have seen some outstanding cobs from members on this forum and on 420 as well.
Its not that hard but it does take a "feel " for it once you get that feel your on a winner and you can experiment with the parameters.

There is much more than one style of cure using this method.
When I was a young man in Africa we were always being blown away by the cures we scored we just had no clue as to how they were made. I wish I had investigated more but the guys we bought off of didn't know much as they were just dealers.
The local ethnic tribes kept their secrets from each other as well so one person might be familiar with one or two techniques but there were dozens from all over central Africa that the dealers had access to, they now seem to have been lost.
The cobs I see online from people who post them are all low class low grade rubbish that I would not have bought if they had shown them to me to buy.
I am sure there are still good cobs to be had over there but only if you know the right people.

Tangwena

Veteran

Very nice if you want to see something really good check the cobs again after being sealed up to age for 3 months.
The resin will have matured and taken on some nice golden, red and amber colors as well as sugary white it will look quite spectacular in macro.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Thank you, Tangwena

I'm enjoying the process and I love hearing about the history and your experiences with them from back in the day. My smoke test (burn test) was more than encouraging and reminded me of the 6 month and one year aged cob I did a while back. Not as much perfume and incense but hints of it being there, which I had not noticed being there in the fresh flower.

I bet this cob will be good. I was very high from the first joint. The piece broken off was enough for a few joints so I kept smoking it. Very clear and "up" high but a nice body high too. Very euphoric and pleasant. I got to see the air "swim" a little :) and i got that "been on a boat too long" feeling where your balance is out of whack.

The cob is dry and smokable now, done before the flower it came from which is still hanging and not yet completely dry. I'm interested to see how the flower smokes and the effect for comparison.
I'm hoping to keep out of it until at least christmas time, my first two cobs I shouldnt have sampled them so often and so soon. Only after about 6 month did I start to see some actual magic happen. I'm looking forward to some more :)

Thanks again Tangwena, I really appreciate the time you spend helping us learn this alchemy

Tangwena

Veteran
Thank you, Tangwena

I'm enjoying the process and I love hearing about the history and your experiences with them from back in the day. My smoke test (burn test) was more than encouraging and reminded me of the 6 month and one year aged cob I did a while back. Not as much perfume and incense but hints of it being there, which I had not noticed being there in the fresh flower.

I bet this cob will be good. I was very high from the first joint. The piece broken off was enough for a few joints so I kept smoking it. Very clear and "up" high but a nice body high too. Very euphoric and pleasant. I got to see the air "swim" a little :) and i got that "been on a boat too long" feeling where your balance is out of whack.

The cob is dry and smokable now, done before the flower it came from which is still hanging and not yet completely dry. I'm interested to see how the flower smokes and the effect for comparison.
I'm hoping to keep out of it until at least christmas time, my first two cobs I shouldnt have sampled them so often and so soon. Only after about 6 month did I start to see some actual magic happen. I'm looking forward to some more :)

Thanks again Tangwena, I really appreciate the time you spend helping us learn this alchemy

My friend just seeing and hearing your results and that you enjoy the high is reward in itself. It def gives the high a distinctive more refined twist and the more age the cobs have the better it gets.
The reason I persist in pushing this cure is that I believe in my heart that people like yourself who love their cannabis will appreciate the more refined effects.
You have joined the cob club and its a life long membership enjoy and spread the knowledge for the greater good of cannabis enjoyment.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Room for one more?

Alright guys, I can't resist. I feel like this process for curing has to be tried. Harvesting some Panama Red from Norstar Genetics. Long, Sticky, Punto Rojo style. The buds are wispy Central American Tails, so I think it should COB up nicely. Flavor is Spicy, Rye Bread when dried and cured the normal way. Just going to try the no frills method to start.

Thank You Tangwena for your dedication to sharing this Traditional Method.

Tangwena

Veteran
Room for one more?

Alright guys, I can't resist. I feel like this process for curing has to be tried. Harvesting some Panama Red from Norstar Genetics. Long, Sticky, Punto Rojo style. The buds are wispy Central American Tails, so I think it should COB up nicely. Flavor is Spicy, Rye Bread when dried and cured the normal way. Just going to try the no frills method to start.

Thank You Tangwena for your dedication to sharing this Traditional Method.

Please please please post pics of the buds before and after cobbing sounds very exciting. Panama from Ace makes unbelievably aromatic smelling cobs and has great effects.
Super interested to see yours man.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Will post pictures for sure. Big fan of the Panama, and it's Hybrids from ACE. Got one going now looking textbook Diosa. Also planning to Cob some Super Malawi Haze x Banana Hooch (Subcool).

Which initial drying method is preferred, Hanging or Laying and Turning?