What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Venus Fly Traps & African Sundews

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I have a bunch of vft sprouts - dozens & counting. Really small - 1/4 the size of a cannabis sprout. Exciting!

I also have some mold starting, keeping lids open & put a big fan in tent - fingers crossed.

Nothing yet on the Capensis, but those seeds looks like dust - the germinating plants will be really small.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
1 week in

1 week in

3 pics from same container of green venus fly traps - the reds are also sprouting. Nothing from the Capensis, yet.

The "soil" I took longest to work on, really rinsed & cared about, seems to be shite & the stuff I did "last minute" with all the extra additives seems to be working really well.

The mold continues to be a problem, although much less than before.

troutman

Seed Whore
I wonder if they can eat fruit flies now. :)

Once they get just a little bigger I would transplant them in separate pots.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
New ones (vft) coming up daily - damn things are so small I can't even focus phone/camera on them. Nothing from Capensis that I can see - those seeds were dust in size, so I imagine the wait will be long.

I will be looking at repotting these soon, trying to decide if I should go with 3" or 4" netpots with mostly 1 plant per & a few with doubles and/or multi-colours in each. I'm going to experiment with a few at a time, so as not to endanger all. I'm thinking of an active bubbler system for them, rather than the still water tubs, but that's a thought for later.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I just came across this thread. I used to have a bog terrarium with tens of species of carnivores, bog flowering plants and mosses.. till i forgot to add water for 3 monts and it dried up. Good to see yours growing well. Good luck! :lurk:

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I just came across this thread. I used to have a bog terrarium with tens of species of carnivores, bog flowering plants and mosses.. till i forgot to add water for 3 monts and it dried up. Good to see yours growing well. Good luck! :lurk:
Very cool - thanks for joining in. Always appreciate informed input.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
OK - update, and it's not good.

Never did get anything out of the Capensis seeds - I had a mold issue & I think that may have done them in. I'm abandoning them.

The fly traps - aren't f*cking fly traps. Not sure what they are, seeds looked like, the sprouts started like, but now they've all grown a spiky appendage & are def NOT venus fly traps. Grrrrr.

Lesson learned? If I ever send money to a Chinese vendor again, I want someone to push a hot metal poker into my eye.

Thread over, sorry.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen

Never did get anything out of the Capensis seeds - I had a mold issue & I think that may have done them in. I'm abandoning them.

The fly traps - aren't f*cking fly traps. Not sure what they are, seeds looked like, the sprouts started like, but now they've all grown a spiky appendage & are def NOT venus fly traps. Grrrrr.

Lesson learned? If I ever send money to a Chinese vendor again, I want someone to push a hot metal poker into my eye.

Thread over, sorry.

The Chinese are well know for selling BS flytrap seeds and other things for that matter. I've grown flytraps for a while and must say they are very interesting plants. I have extra seeds from my plants if you are interested. Usually I cut the flowers off but this year I let them flower out.

Last edited:

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
The Chinese are well know for selling BS flytrap seeds and other things for that matter. I've grown flytraps for a while and must say they are very interesting plants. I have extra seeds from my plants if you are interested. Usualy I cut the flowers off but this year I let them flower out. I also highly recommend flytrapcare.com as they have a wonderful forum and care advice. Their store also has a fantastic selection of plants, and care products.

Hi & thanks for posting. The time and effort I wasted with those bunk seeds has taken the wind outta my sails & I moved on to fungi & related ephemera.

Sadly, while popular, the fungus thread was binned by management for not being on canna topic, so I've moved that effort to another site.

Cheers :tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore
How did this turn out

I forgot to tell him not to use Miracle Grow. :laughing:

Audrey2B_2514.jpg

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
How did this turn out

Thread over, sorry.
The seeds were cactus. They are still growing. Thanks for your interest.

Latest posts

Latest posts