What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kali China

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
This is the thread to share our experiences with Kali China release.

I post again its official description and breeding details from the 'ACE Seeds limited editions 2014' thread so all the information can be found easily here too.

Kali China is one of the strains that takes us more time to develop, reaching the top breeding refinement of our China Yunnan hybrids.

It's a compact and fast flowering plant of indica behavior, which flowers produce a unique and complex aroma, and a refined tropical sativa effect.

Like in 'haute cuisine', Kali China stimulates very different organoleptic areas, making this strain a delightful experience of the highest gastronomic level.

Its effect stands out because of its complexity and sativa nature. Surprising traits for a plant of only 45-55 days of flowering time, that is easy to cultivate indoors without height problems.

Official description:

STABILIZED HYBRID
GENETICS: 75 % INDICA / 25 % SATIVA.

(Kali Mist x China Yunnan) x China Yunnan
FLOWERING INDOORS: 8-9 WEEKS.
FLOWERING OUTDOORS: End of September / Early October.
YIELD/M2: Average

RESISTANCE AGAINST SPIDER MITES: AVERAGE-HIGH
RESISTANCE AGAINST MILDEW: AVERAGE
RESISTANCE AGAINST BOTRYTIS: AVERAGE
RESISTANCE AGAINST COLD: AVERAGE - HIGH

STRUCTURE: Indoors it grows compact and columnar. Outdoors develops more branching with a rounder shape.

BOUQUET: Mango juice, sweet cream, incense, hash, grill meat and oriental spices.

EFFECT: Powerful, psychedelic and sensorial effect of SE asian sativa, with a relaxed, introspective and meditative development.

GROWING TIPS
It can be grown very easily indoors. In order to obtain the best results indoors, we recommend warm temperatures (around 25ºC) during the growing stage and the first 4 weeks of flowering.

In the last month, temperatures should be reduced to 20ºC for the rest of the flowering process.

Outdoors matures without problems until latitude 47ºN.

Breeding details:

Kali China is one of my more personal projects. It started around 10 years ago when i was growing chinese yunnan for the first time. One year before, i did a kali mist selection from seed and selected 3 great KM females, one was quite short, fast flowering (65-70 days) with a great hashy incensey aroma and clear sativa effect.

I put a clone of this Kali Mist female while i was reproducing the pure chinese yunnan for the first time. So the origins of the cross are Kali Mist female x China Yunnan male (same chinese father of the old Orient Express F1).

I grew the KM x China cross. Kali Mist is a complex hybrid, so i found quite a lot variability in the cross too, despite the chinese introduced some P1 predictability.

I avoided the taller, slower flowering and non hazy (in terms of aroma/taste) plants.

I was lucky enough to find what i consider was the archetype of my goal with the cross: a compact and fast flowering hash plant (50-55 days) of chinese indica apperance, with a very complex incensey aroma (mango juice, sweet and sour cream, incense, hash, grill meat, wood, oriental spices ....), a perfect blend of my favourite organoleptic and growing traits from both lines, together in one plant.

This selected female also had an incredible tropical sativa effect that starts like a refined thai, deriving towards a more calm, meditative and introspective chinese effect. I liked a lot what i found so i decided to keep working on the hybrid.

The selected Kali China female was backcrossed to chinese (Kali Mist/China x China), in both standard and feminized format. To produce the feminized backcross, i reversed my favourite China female to pollinate the special Kali China mum. The feminized backcross showed better outcome than the standard one.

Then i selected again from the feminized backcross a female that was as close as possible to the 'elite' mum found in the initial outcross. I reversed this new backcrossed selected female to pollinate her best sisters from the same generation.

So the released Kali China feminized version is: (Kali Mist x China) x China and then inbred one generation.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
mother 21 x mother 6 feminized

mother 21 x mother 6 feminized

All the Kali China feminized seeds from this release were produced by reversing my favourite backcrossed Kali China x China mother (number 6) and pollinating other nice sisters from the same backcrossed generation.

Here are 2 different nice females of (Kali China x China) mother 21 x (Kali China x China) mother 6.

Attachments

• Kali China 21 A cola.jpg
    Kali China 21 A cola.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Kali China 21 A cogollos.jpg
    Kali China 21 A cogollos.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Kali China 21 B cola.jpg
    Kali China 21 B cola.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 299
  • Kali China 21 B cola2.jpg
    Kali China 21 B cola2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 312

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
mother 22 x mother 6 feminized

mother 22 x mother 6 feminized

Pics of 2 different (Kali China x China) mother 22 x (Kali China x China) mother 6 females.

Attachments

• Kali China 22 3 cogollo.jpg
    Kali China 22 3 cogollo.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Kali China 22 1 cogollo.jpg
    Kali China 22 1 cogollo.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Kali China 22 3 cogollo2.jpg
    Kali China 22 3 cogollo2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Kali China 22 3 cogollo3.jpg
    Kali China 22 3 cogollo3.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 197

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Mother 6, S1

Mother 6, S1

I'm not a big fan of selfing a clone by itself unless there are no other plants to play with ... but in this case it worked quite well.

It's the selected mother 6 that i chose to reverse, pollinated by itself (S1). This one was tested in another room that had some heat problems at the end of flowering, chinese and its hybrids prefer slighty fresh temps (around 20ºC) in the last month of flowering to produce best quality and more resin production, and this kind of selfing breeding induces more inbreeding, but also found interesting this S1 generation, some S1 plants produced very nice yields despite the inbreeding and heat problems.

All the plants from the different lines matured in 8-9 weeks.

Attachments

• Kali China 6 2 cogollo.jpg
    Kali China 6 2 cogollo.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Kali China 6 2 cola.jpg
    Kali China 6 2 cola.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 197
  • Kali China 6 1 cogollo.jpg
    Kali China 6 1 cogollo.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Kali China 6 1.jpg
    Kali China 6 1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Nepal Jam x Kali China feminized

Nepal Jam x Kali China feminized

We also have been trying some Kali China crosses, to test how this inbred line works when is outcrossed.

In this case is our selected Nepal Jam mother (fast flowering with high quality warm sativa effect) pollinated by the Kali China backcrossed mother 6 that we have commented previously.

I love the outcome, the result is consistent and fast flowering (8 weeks) hybrid with very high yield, very high flower/leaf ratio, small size, lovely sweet honey incensey aromas ... great high as well ... it almost has it all, the experience has been so good that we are just starting a new and deeper selection as we speak.

Attachments

• Nepal Jam x Kali China A cola.jpg
    Nepal Jam x Kali China A cola.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Nepal Jam x Kali China A cogollo.jpg
    Nepal Jam x Kali China A cogollo.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Nepal Jam x Kali China B cola.jpg
    Nepal Jam x Kali China B cola.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Nepal Jam x Kali China B cogollo.jpg
    Nepal Jam x Kali China B cogollo.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
more Nepal Jam x Kali China feminized

more Nepal Jam x Kali China feminized

Another Nepal Jam x Kali China female

Attachments

• Nepal Jam x Kali China C cogollo2.jpg
    Nepal Jam x Kali China C cogollo2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Nepal Jam x Kali China C cogollo.jpg
    Nepal Jam x Kali China C cogollo.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Nepal Jam x Kali China C cola.jpg
    Nepal Jam x Kali China C cola.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 153

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congolese sativa hybrid x Kali China feminized

Congolese sativa hybrid x Kali China feminized

Another Kali China cross, in this case an african sativa unstabilized hybrid (mostly congolese sativa) pollinated by the same inbred Kali China mum # 6.

The outcome is less consistent than the Nepal Jam outcross but still quite interesting. Different phenos can be found, there's the incensey 9 week and compact more Kali China dominant pheno, and other taller more typically sativa expressions with strong african influence and more lemony/pine aromas. The african phenos take between 11-14 weeks.

All the phenos have great quality and high resin production.
Here's an example.

Attachments

• Angola Bangi x Kali China cola.jpg
    Angola Bangi x Kali China cola.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Angola Bangi x Kali China cogollo.jpg
    Angola Bangi x Kali China cogollo.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Angola Bangi x Kali China cogollo2.jpg
    Angola Bangi x Kali China cogollo2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 196

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Sounds great! Very, very tempting. And that Kali China x NepJam sounds absolutely sublime! You've been up to some very interesting work, dubi.

love all the pics, the chinese yunnan dom pheno's look like the ones for me, although the kali mist dom pheno's look good too. the Nepal Jam x Kali China is epic tho :tiphat: looks like an AWESOME hybrid. big ol' chunky buds, i bet she makes wonderful concentrates with those beautiful nuggets

care to share more about the African congolese you used in that cross? the Angola Bangi sounds awesome! any info on its history, etc? i was interested in the bangi congo and the Angola Roja personally

S

scai

I can vouch for KaliChina.
Had it when it come around, was it two/three years ago?
Was a keeper, but then I destroyed mum with too strong pesticide that burned quite many of my plants...
Still have seeds though cos I took few packets.
She was very nice and productive under artificial lights and I think one of my friend who has MS liked it.
Good job Dubi.

Phrenos

Look so great Kali China! I really liked your smoke, hoping to have a hole in the indoor to put some seeds, she has a short flowering period :)
Crossings with it look great, I especially like the African side, where I see in phenotypes more dominate Congolese.
Best wishes with this strain and possible crossings!
Great Job Dubi.

We also have been trying some Kali China crosses, to test how this inbred line works when is outcrossed.

In this case is our selected Nepal Jam mother (fast flowering with high quality warm sativa effect) pollinated by the Kali China backcrossed mother 6 that we have commented previously.

I love the outcome, the result is consistent and fast flowering (8 weeks) hybrid with very high yield, very high flower/leaf ratio, small size, lovely sweet honey incensey aromas ... great high as well ... it almost has it all, the experience has been so good that we are just starting a new and deeper selection as we speak.

Have you tried a China Yunnan x Nepaljam, I plan on making one next run, how different is it than KaliChina x Nepaljam, maybe that's the cross I want to make, looks and sounds excellent and ,might be the high that fits me, thanks for all the great ACE breeding

user-name

hi dubi,
why are you suggesting to keep the temps about 20° in the last month? is it growth-related, or rather taste-related?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Have you tried a China Yunnan x Nepaljam, I plan on making one next run, how different is it than KaliChina x Nepaljam, maybe that's the cross I want to make, looks and sounds excellent and ,might be the high that fits me, thanks for all the great ACE breeding

Hi CACTUSFLOWER,

I haven't tried a china x nepal jam or nepal jam x china cross yet, but the outcome should be similar to Nepal Jam x Kali China release already available. Lately I prefer to breed with Kali China (75 % chinese inbred hybrid) rather than pure chinese, i've been working a lot with Kali China lately to produce an improved and stable chinese plant.

Kind regards!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
hi dubi,
why are you suggesting to keep the temps about 20° in the last month? is it growth-related, or rather taste-related?

Hi user-name,

It's simply related to the genetics: chinese and chinese dominant hybrids prefer temps around 20ºC in the second month of flowering (especially indoors) to produce more resinous, denser flowers with better terpene quality.