What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!"

shmalphy

Veteran
Like I said in my first post, I knew I would be flamed for posting an opinion against BHO based on other threads I have seen here.

Although the "haters" met my expectations, I still feel I made a few decent points against solvent based extractions. My only hope is that someone with half a brain reads this and thinks twice before attempting something as dangerous. OP has worked as a safety director, I am not doubting his qualification to make BHO. I do however doubt that just anyone can safely make BHO after reading this.

If you want to take the risk, go for it. Just understand the risk involved to your life, home, family members, neighbors, and understand that you are making a bad name for our community in the process. You don't have to adopt this point of view but let me make it clear that it is how many people view solvent based extractions not only in the cannabis community but in society at large.

I prefer bubble hash myself. If made right it is much better than oil, as a result of the terpenes. I don't like idea of using a torch to smoke, I find it unneccesary, dangerous, and most of all cumbersome. I also refuse to smoke out of a glass dick, it's just this thing I got.

To each his own I guess, but at least be well informed on the dangers of any activity you engage in. Riding in a car is dangerous, but if you are well informed of the risk, you are inherently safer. Best of luck to you all.

shmalphy

Veteran
I'm accepting your untrue statements presented as facts, as prima facie evidence that this is not an intellectual exchange but you airing your unsupported prejudices.

Point taken, you are against BHO. Thanks for your input!
Without getting into too much detail, once you have made oil, the process to isomerize it (as described in cannabis alchemy) is nearly identical to the process for making meth from pseudoephedrine. Both use ether, and lye, which is what generally causes the explosions in both cases.

In freebase, it's the ether exploding that causes injury. In BHO it's butane. They are both toxic dangerous chemicals. Injury often occurs during purging in an unfit environment in both cases.

I am not trying to make a point to you, per se, but offer facts in BHO safety, the title of the thread BTW. A safety director you say? I think I know who this is, sector 7b right?
Homer-working.jpg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want to help someone not hurt themselves when making BHO that would benefit this thread. People are going to make BHO it's a fact. I would be doing exactly what Wolf is trying to do here. Safety is key and never use any shortcuts. I have been making BHO for 12 years?? I have never received any injuries or blown up my home. I can say with 100% certainty I never will. All the people that are blowing up there shit should know the correct way to make it without any issues. If this thread helps just 1 of these dim wits is a good thing.......

Mia

I am analyzing the process not the substance. I am also directing my statements at the people who read this site to inform themselves on the subject of BHO. The target audience on this subject is young, pot smokers, not lab technicians.

Just because YOU (grey wolf) are trained and capable does not mean that everyone that reads your "how to safely establish a clandestine lab in your home" tutorial on the web is going to be safe when he tries this at home. Nor will you be there to pick up the pieces when he causes damage from an explosion, or the environmental damage, or the health hazards to everyone.

Your dismissive response seems indicative of your level of respect for others. So does you irresponsibly advocating pollution and methods of possible immolation.

And for the record, coca leaf is not nearly as destructive as the process involved in turning it into a pure smokable form (see richard prior)

BHO is going to make the whole cannabis community look bad each time someone gets hurt or killed.

Well enough.
Anyone who has come to ICmag and filtered through the numerous threads to reach this thread already has an interest in BHO obviously. I don't think Gray Wolf is doing anyone a disservice personally, quite the contrary. People are going to do these things legalities aside, giving those interested good advice shouldn't be frowned upon. Obviously you hold a fundamentally different position and have different views wrt oil as someone like Gray Wolf or myself does.
And that is okay.

I care about my impact on the environment and I think that is a legitimate point to raise. But if we are to raise it, it only seems fair to compare it with our gas consumption, electrical use, eating practices, garbage practices, etc. And in that vein, I certainly could talk about the carcinogenic pollutants, environmental damage, etc. etc. in the same vein that you refer to BHO.

So my post is not meant to discount you, but rather to put it in what I think is a more appropriate place.
You of course are free to disagree with me.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Like I said in my first post, I knew I would be flamed for posting an opinion against BHO based on other threads I have seen here.

Although the "haters" met my expectations, I still feel I made a few decent points against solvent based extractions. My only hope is that someone with half a brain reads this and thinks twice before attempting something as dangerous. OP has worked as a safety director, I am not doubting his qualification to make BHO. I do however doubt that just anyone can safely make BHO after reading this.

If you want to take the risk, go for it. Just understand the risk involved to your life, home, family members, neighbors, and understand that you are making a bad name for our community in the process. You don't have to adopt this point of view but let me make it clear that it is how many people view solvent based extractions not only in the cannabis community but in society at large.

I prefer bubble hash myself. If made right it is much better than oil, as a result of the terpenes. I don't like idea of using a torch to smoke, I find it unneccesary, dangerous, and most of all cumbersome. I also refuse to smoke out of a glass dick, it's just this thing I got.

To each his own I guess, but at least be well informed on the dangers of any activity you engage in. Riding in a car is dangerous, but if you are well informed of the risk, you are inherently safer. Best of luck to you all.

I'm starting to see a pattern here bro.

Your start date is suspicious, given when the last person acting like you was banned, you knew you would be flamed, yet you posted erroneous and inflammatory data anyway and you've managed to lower the intellectual content from talking about safety to sucking dicks.

You've clearly made your point, even if it isn't the one you set out to make. Now that you have given it your best intellectual shot and we all understand who you are and where you are coming from, do you have anything more to add, that you believe will enlighten the rest of us and further elevate the conversation?

shmalphy

Veteran
I'm starting to see a pattern here bro.

Your start date is suspicious, given when the last person acting like you was banned, you knew you would be flamed, yet you posted erroneous and inflammatory data anyway and you've managed to lower the intellectual content from talking about safety to sucking dicks.

You've clearly made your point, even if it isn't the one you set out to make. Now that you have given it your best intellectual shot and we all understand who you are and where you are coming from, do you have anything more to add, that you believe will enlighten the rest of us and further elevate the conversation?

You must have me confused with someone else. I see you have petty feuds going on that I don't want to be a part of.

Also, a "glass dick" is a slang term for a pipe commonly used to smoke "essential oils" (or meth)

I find it ironic that you call my comments "inflammatory" when you are giving advice on setting up a drug lab. A bit of subconscious psychological projection perhaps?

Anywhoo, stay safe kids, and remember, if the patients ask, it's made with CO2!:cathug::thank you::tiphat:

shmalphy

Veteran
yeah, I don't like ti plates, first of all, it requires a blow torch. I have made ice water hash that was smoked side by side on a ti plate with BudderKings"s famous "budder". We had some of the really gold ear wax that was tested at 98% THC. It was pretty good, I was surprised at how much flavor it had. When I tried mine next to it, which was a beautifully crumbly ice wax from a Deep Funk (Bohdi Seeds- Deep Chunk x Sour Deisel). This strain actually has such large trichs you get most of the melt in the 120 bag. I prefer to smoke it on a screen, so I can heat it gently at first to get the flavors, then high heat to vaporize the cannabinoids. The budder melts right thru a screen, making for a large amount of waste when attempting this method.

While the budder did leave slightly less residue, it was unable to match the palette of the ice water extract. There is also a certain richness and complexity to the high brought on by the terpenes that solvent based extractions leave behind.

Good luck if you want to smoke "on the go". Most oil heads I know carry an oil pipe (glass dick). It gets some funny looks from certain people, that's for sure, but it's the most convienient way to vape oil when you are not at home.

That ti curve is a neat looking peice, I just don't see myself switching over to one anytime soon.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like a horney shroom to me mon! Lawrd (Great Spirit) only knows how bad it could be if you tripped while toking on the run with that rascal.

Ah shudder to think about it that close to your jugular, in the event of a BHO oil flash fire or explosion as well.

Ah also just have to ask, cause it looks like parts of it could be used in lieu of an obsidian knife or short sword for personal protection, so ah ass-u-me it comes with a shoulder holster or equivalent and wonder iff'n you have to have a permit to carry that thang concealed.

I also notice you are using water in it. Do you have any idea how many people die a year worldwide from water borne illnesses and do you have the water periodically tested if you aren't using certified sources?

Lastly bro, ah just hate to think what all those sharp horns on the outside of that puppy are doing to the inside of your throat and lungs. It may not be too late to stop using it and save yourself and others you may be sharing it with.

Fortunately I am here to save you bro, so if you will carefully pack and ship that dangerous piece of equipment to me, I will send you a hash pipe that I carved myself out of a stick with an obsidian knife to keep it organic, and cleverly added a stainless steel screen.

I'll even wrap it in raw uncured gut and attach one of mah healing magic crow feathers, over which I have danced a healing dance and uttered secret and sacred half breed injun incantations as a bonus, to help heal the wounds this evil contraption has wreaked on yore poor body.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, I don't like ti plates, first of all, it requires a blow torch. I have made ice water hash that was smoked side by side on a ti plate with BudderKings"s famous "budder". We had some of the really gold ear wax that was tested at 98% THC. It was pretty good, I was surprised at how much flavor it had. When I tried mine next to it, which was a beautifully crumbly ice wax from a Deep Funk (Bohdi Seeds- Deep Chunk x Sour Deisel). This strain actually has such large trichs you get most of the melt in the 120 bag. I prefer to smoke it on a screen, so I can heat it gently at first to get the flavors, then high heat to vaporize the cannabinoids. The budder melts right thru a screen, making for a large amount of waste when attempting this method.

While the budder did leave slightly less residue, it was unable to match the palette of the ice water extract. There is also a certain richness and complexity to the high brought on by the terpenes that solvent based extractions leave behind.

Good luck if you want to smoke "on the go". Most oil heads I know carry an oil pipe (glass dick). It gets some funny looks from certain people, that's for sure, but it's the most convienient way to vape oil when you are not at home.

That ti curve is a neat looking peice, I just don't see myself switching over to one anytime soon.

Not sure how this relates to BHO extraction safety, so I'm going to suggest that we move it to a thread more in line with your ongoing efforts to promote bubble.

I will even start the thread, with asking for your test results showing 98% THC content from anything short of pharmecutical grades of THC.

No one here is challenging you that you and your friends suck on thangs you like to think of as glass dicks, or that ya'll like them better for that quick relief on the go.

That doesn't happen to be the case with me and my associates, and I wonder why you keep bringing it up like it will impress anyone but you?

Ah don't see you switching over to a Ti curve either bro and I think that is a good thing! You would hate yourself in the morning.

QTS

Previous to this, I've only seen one "other" person refer to bubblehash as ice wax. Go figgr...

shmalphy

Veteran
You guys are a kick.

I am speaking to the public. This is a public forum. While you might not, I know people that do use glass dicks. They suck em real good. It works for them, I get to laugh, we all have fun.

As for the conspiracy about me being someone else, that has me tickled. It really does. You all think there is only one person that doesn't like BHO, which is hilarious. I am as I appear, a "newb" on this site. I have only even lurked for a week or 2. I have lurked over at fullmeltbubble longer, as I have been perfecting the art of ice water extractions for my post-harvest production/processing consultancy firm. Many people on that site call some strain specific bubble "wax" if it meets the subjective criteria (i.e. is waxy).

I just started posting here about BHO as a result of a debate between a friend and I, to get some talking points. Perhaps a mod can verify by my IP addy for all the conspiracy theorist out there?
I will be posting threads soon enough, once I get a decent camera, and that should dispel any notion of who I am or am not. If not, I really don't care. Your mistake, not mine.

In any event, I was clearly able to clearly convey my opinion on BHO safety, including the method of consumption. I apologize to the mods and readers of this thread for apparently engaging in such a touchy subject. As for Grey Wolf, I understand your heart is in the right place making a thread like this. And for that I commend you. But I also feel you underestimate the dangers associated with the process, and for the possibility that you have given confidence to untrained individuals to attempt such a dangerous activity, I abhor you. Just be glad I am not a parent who's teenager got hurt following your instructions, because they might not be so easy on you.

"that's what you get for pretending the dangers not real"
pink floyd- sheep

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
they teach teenagers to drive, and many die driving each year. i cant imagine all the guilt driving instructors feel, i hear their suicide rate is insane..

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys are a kick.

I am speaking to the public. This is a public forum. While you might not, I know people that do use glass dicks. They suck em real good. It works for them, I get to laugh, we all have fun.

As for the conspiracy about me being someone else, that has me tickled. It really does. You all think there is only one person that doesn't like BHO, which is hilarious. I am as I appear, a "newb" on this site. I have only even lurked for a week or 2. I have lurked over at fullmeltbubble longer, as I have been perfecting the art of ice water extractions for my post-harvest production/processing consultancy firm. Many people on that site call some strain specific bubble "wax" if it meets the subjective criteria (i.e. is waxy).

I just started posting here about BHO as a result of a debate between a friend and I, to get some talking points. Perhaps a mod can verify by my IP addy for all the conspiracy theorist out there?
I will be posting threads soon enough, once I get a decent camera, and that should dispel any notion of who I am or am not. If not, I really don't care. Your mistake, not mine.

In any event, I was clearly able to clearly convey my opinion on BHO safety, including the method of consumption. I apologize to the mods and readers of this thread for apparently engaging in such a touchy subject. As for Grey Wolf, I understand your heart is in the right place making a thread like this. And for that I commend you. But I also feel you underestimate the dangers associated with the process, and for the possibility that you have given confidence to untrained individuals to attempt such a dangerous activity, I abhor you. Just be glad I am not a parent who's teenager got hurt following your instructions, because they might not be so easy on you.

"that's what you get for pretending the dangers not real"
pink floyd- sheep

If you say so, it must be true. Why would you lie?

Do I understand you don't know how to get multiple ip addresses?

Are you going to stop polluting this thread and answer the post about your 98% THC claims, or should this audience, that you are trying to impress, infer that is because you have no such evidence and everything you say is also suspect?

shmalphy

Veteran
Budder King has had his product tested. I got the official "budder" that has been tested as high as 98% THC. Here is a link to substantiate that claim:

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/3589.html

looked just like this
3589-PIN.jpg

It really is "the bomb". I cannot deny that. I also cannot believe he was able to mass produce something that high quality. I can make stuff that compares, but only in very small batches.

Believe what you want, I have never posted here before last week. You must be getting paranoid from the oils man, be easy!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Budder King has had his product tested. I got the official "budder" that has been tested as high as 98% THC. Here is a link to substantiate that claim:

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/3589.html

looked just like this

It really is "the bomb". I cannot deny that. I also cannot believe he was able to mass produce something that high quality. I can make stuff that compares, but only in very small batches.

Believe what you want, I have never posted here before last week. You must be getting paranoid from the oils man, be easy!

You must not have read the article you quoted yet either and may be giddy from the rarified atmosphere!

Would you care to explain to the audience how it supports your previous claim?

IE:

Marijuana contains various cannabinoids, Hornby explains, with THC usually predominant. Hemp has barely a percent or two of THC. The best dried marijuana bud generally maxes out at about 27% THC. Sieved hashish averages about 45% THC. Bubblehash averages about 53% THC.

Solvent-extracted products usually have more THC than bud, water hash or sieved hash, but none have tested as high as Budder, and Hornby says Budder is further distinguished because it does not contain any heavy metals, radioactivity, or other markers associated with inferior fertilizers used on source bud.

"The top Budder sample was 99.6% pure," Hornby explained, "which means if you had an ounce of it, only a tiny fraction of a gram would be anything other than cannabinoids.

We also tested Budder for toxins, solvents, molds, diseases, heavy metals and other contaminants. There were none. It's essentially just pure cannabinoids. I've tested a lot of cannabis materials, but this is the most impressive."

Hornby's tests also found Budder contains 80 to 90% of its cannabinoids as THC. It contains much smaller percentages of two other cannabinoids: cannabidiol and cannabinol. Of these two, cannabidiol (CBD) is most important because it has medicinal effects and moderates the stimulative effects of THC.

shmalphy

Veteran
well I stand corrected. It was 99.6 % cannabinoids, of which 80-90% were THC, so it was more like 90%...