What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ripping a Hole in the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LolaGal

Oh what fun I am gonna have tomorrow.

I went and bought a new window today at Home Depot.

It is a great big huge thing.

I am gonna cut a hole in my wall, and put that sucker in there tomorrow.

then I will have a place for my new air conditioner to go!

:dance:

It's hot, so I am getting a huge new window and A/C unit.

First I gotta move the paneling inside and start framing a new window out.

Then I am gonna cut through the wall and siding and slap a little caulk on there and call it good.

I got my eye on the bathroom next. I need another window in there too. lol.

anybody got any good window installing advice for me afore I get started? ;)

SmilinBob

Allow a little extra room on each side of the window for spray foam insulation or some other kind of insulation.

Don't forget to install flashing on the top of the window so it doesn't leak.

Remember to check to make sure your shims fit properly before finishing installation. Open and close the window before you screw it in to make sure your shims don't bulge the window causing it to not shut properly.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
be sure and frame them in properly, with jacks, cripples, and a header, so that your wall maintains it's structural integrity... I assume you are either knowledgable or have some sort of guide to follow... if not i'd advise one... Take care not to cut through any wiring or plumbing as well. Take care with expandable foam, too much can deform the frame of the window unit.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I would offer sexual favors to a pro installer to do it for me. If I was a gal.

L

LolaGal

LOL

I will try not to cut through any electricicles... heehee

The sexual favors idea is a good one... ;)

But I am looking forward to putting it in. I built a house or two in my time, including the one I'm hacking through the wall tomorrow!!

:)

Poor= build it yerself....

It is such a nice window. 36 x 56 1/2

All my other windows are tiny, cuz I wuz broke when I put them in.

If this goes good, I think I will put in another one...

I will have the only house with a little window, big window, little window, little window, big window, little window... lol.

Just hope my studs are straight to start with, I don't think they are. I bought some cheap ass studs, and am paying the price in the long run for buying cheap to start. heehee

L

LolaGal

Ya'll think I should use a 2 x 12 for a header or just cripple studs?

I got some 2 x 12 s on hand.

The debate is raging here.

Loving my new Fridgidaire 15,000 BTU A /C unit.....

more power. :dance:

Just a hint if using spray foam. Get the low expanding kind, MADE FOR THAT PURPOSE. It will say for windows and doors on the can.

Otherwise it will push the sides in as it expands and the window will totally suck.

Learn from my mistakes :)

L

LolaGal

Just a hint if using spray foam. Get the low expanding kind, MADE FOR THAT PURPOSE. It will say for windows and doors on the can.

Otherwise it will push the sides in as it expands and the window will totally suck.

Learn from my mistakes :)

Thanks for the tip!

I think I will just avoid it altogether! It is warm enough here it is not a big deal. I will just shove a little fiberglass around the edges.

TeaHateSea

LOL

Just hope my studs are straight to start with, I don't think they are. I bought some cheap ass studs, and am paying the price in the long run

Straight stud reporting for duty Ma'am. ;)

With a window of that size I wouldn't trust 2x4's personally. I would sandwich 2x6's or use your 2x12's to make a header. Are you on 16 inch centers?

L

LolaGal

Straight stud reporting for duty Ma'am. ;)

With a window of that size I wouldn't trust 2x4's personally. I would sandwich 2x6's or use your 2x12's to make a header. Are you on 16 inch centers?

Yup, 16 inch studs.

I agree, I think I will need a sturdy header.

I have some nice yellow poplar 2 x 12s, 2 x 8s and 2 x6s.

they are left over from building the cabin.

TeaHateSea

I would use 2x8's since you have them and save the 2x12's for the floor joist's on the eventual addition/added grow area.;)

Now you have my curiosity though, what kind of cabin did you build?

L

LolaGal

help help

I was cutting a stud in half and somehow managed to get my little finger stuck in the cut!

ouch.

There I was, my little finger stuck in between two halves of a cut stud, trapped.

There for a while, I thought I was gonna have to cut off my finger to escape!

But I escaped with only a blackened little finger to show for my troubles. hahaha

Time to go cut the whole and go for broke.......... wish me luck!

localman

THIS Thread is Awesome, HooRaayy for a NEW window!!! Scenary is the Best I hope it all works out for you.

and Ice that finger lol

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
Are you emo? cuz you are always cutting yourself.( just messin with ya :D)

any way big ups you're my kinda gal Lola!

TexasToker

anybody got any good window installing advice for me afore I get started? ;)

Use a speed square.

Take care not to cut through any wiring or plumbing as well. Take care with expandable foam, too much can deform the frame of the window unit.

Very important!

So you got your finger caught in the cut? like between one piece of wood with a cut in it...WTF? Lol....sorry lola...that is odd. I have cut hundreds of yards of lumber, and have never even heard of that one.

C

Cookie monster

measure twice cut once and check for cables, pipes and nails before you fire up the sabre saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts