What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alaskan thunderfuck???

superjoint

the Alaskan thunderfuck that has been floating around these parts for some time is, indica dom 55-60 day extra sappy, white buds that smell like a cedar chest. exhale of smoke is thick hashy piney clear taste. not to be mistaken for mvtf which is a little more sativa leaning and smells like lemons or tang as some have gotten me saying nowadays.both are kill... but vary big time from each other. both of these are clone only. but you can purchase seeds i think of something called mtf in seed search em and compare

neongreen

Veteran
Saved info on MTF:

This variety brings back that majestic legendary marijuana from the great Alaskan Northland. Highly recommended by the best fishing and hiking guides in the Matanuska Valley. The buds are huge and rock-hard as Denali "Mt. McKinley" herself. Intense aroma, chocolate flavor and potency have combined to form the most dense variety we have had the pleasure of producing thus far. A glacier of THC crystals frosts her colas and she packs more power than an ice pack polar bear. Medical patients have mentioned that she is very beneficial for persons with pain ailments. The "creeper" quality of the smoke comes on slow and smooth, like a hike up a majestic mountain peak. Enjoy the view, with a smile on your face and a gleam in your bloodshot eyes. Persons prone to altitude sickness should use caution. Type: Indica, indoor and outdoor Vegetate until: 4 - 7 internodes Flowering time: 60-70 days Average height: 0.5 - 0.75 meter Yield: 350 - 375 grams / m² (dried, indoor) High: powerfully sedative. Smell: rich chocolate flavor.

Grow-tips for Matanuska Tundra Matanuska Tundra is a unique plant. It originates in the valleys in Alaska where it grows outdoor, and that probably influenced the following characteristics. Leaves The leaves of Matanuska Tundra are very distinctive. The first 3 or 4 sets of leaves can be variegated. This means that they will have white stripes through the leaves. They will grow out of this phase, it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes it will come back later, but also that is normal. The leaves are very big. Sometimes the inner part of the leaf seems too big, causing the leaf to be a bit bubbly. This is also natural characteristic of Matanuska Tundra. It resembles the symptoms of over-watering, but it looks a bit different. A photo of a leaf will be exhibited later. When are the buds ripe? Most marijuana plants show that they are ready for harvest by the hairs which have shriveled up and turned brown. Matanuska Tundra is different. Very few if any hairs will turn brown. Here are the signs that show that the plant is ripe: The female flower consists of a seed pod and two hairs. The seed pod will swell up during the flowering period. When the flower is ripe, the seed pod stops getting bigger. If the seed pods on the top bud are shrinking, the top bud is a bit overripe and the rest of the plant is perfectly ripe. The crystals on the seed pods are transparent during the first 4 to 6 weeks of flowering. When they ripen, they first turn milky-white. A week later they will turn amber. When the crystals on the top bud have turned amber, the top bud is a bit overripe and the rest of the plant is perfectly ripe. Look at the crystals on the top bud with a magnifying glass to observe the crystals turning from transparent to milky-white. Keep an eye on the seed pods to measure their size.

ReeferMan stocks a strain called "Kodiak Gold" which is supposed to be the real MTF:

the best potential to find "high potency" purple in my collection would be in the kodiak gold you will find "lavender pheno" 1 in 25 should show these interesting colars and they are very very potent lower PH during the wrinse will also bring out the purples more in my experience

We never saw a lavender untill the f-7 seedlings we had seen shades and highlights but untill inbreeding further we never saw it in the line , the tall and short pheno have always been in the strain the golden sativa pheno is the strongest in my opinion but the lavender is up there which is rare we see this in a purple its a more subtle purple indoors we were blown way when we saw how dark she went outdoors from the cutting

I just picked up an 8th of some alaskan thunderfuck and i would like to know more about this strain also. Can someone post dried bud shots of this strain? Thank u, and bombay sorry im not trying to thread jack your post.

Last edited:
atf.jpg

melty

Awesome pics Smoking B. I met some people who live in Alaska this year, and I have heard very different things about Alaskan Thunderfuck than the MTF described here. Although, the MTF that is in the other thread sounds tastier! I have heard that the ATF and MTF are different? I put the question mark because I have no idea to the validity of that statement! I did get gifted some seeds that are supposedly from some sort of Thunderfuck. I am going to put them outdoors this year. They are old, so only the gods know what will come up. Keep up the search Bombay!

G

Greyskull

Bombay said:
Can someone tell me more about this strain? Is it a sativa or indica strain? If someone could give me more info on this strain and post pics if possible. I tried searching but couldnt find much on it. Thanks for your time.

I am learning all about the Matanuska Thunderfuck... I was lucky enough to receive a cut from a friend who had been growing it for 25+ years, and am now a caretaker of her.

I have heard of 2 different versions of the MTF... both are clone only. And very potent. Mine has a very tanegrine-like (hence the nickname TANGe) aroma, and it is very resinous. I have been advised that its a 8/8.5 week (56-60 days) flower time. I've still got a few more weeks to go.

Check out my grow (my sig)... Canna coco w/ some Botanicare, Canna, and H&G nutes and additives.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've read in the cannabis breeders bible that the original matanuska valley thunderfuck is a ruderalis hybrid,whats the truth in this?? anyone know?

G

Greyskull

marijuanamat said:
I've read in the cannabis breeders bible that the original matanuska valley thunderfuck is a ruderalis hybrid,whats the truth in this?? anyone know?

So far I cannot see any ruderalis like traits.... I especially haven't seen any auotflowering.

What I have seen is that she is a pretty light eater, the mom plant in soil needs a bit more N than the other moms in soil, and she roots in close to 10 days for me. And she smells like tangerine.

...Now I am thinking Flaming Lips "tangerine!"

superjoint

I use a mVtf S1 male that ive had and it autoflowers. i get it going for like 2 -3 weeks in 12/12 then put it under 18 it keeps flowering,then i just collect it all. the female mvtfs i had a yr ago did this same thing. and finished under outside early summer...i have yet to try the crosses ive made to see if they have the autoflower trait to..

G

Greyskull

The next crop getting buff...

Just an example of how they are growing in my care B6d4

Up close B6d4

superjoint

Here Is What Happens When You Cross A Mvtf To An ATF , been working on them for a while.. kept the pheno that i thought was 50/50 of both in taste smell area. all phenos were kill, but this was my keeper from my first batch.other phenos went mvtf ish more or looked like the atf, all had the atf whiteness ,with mvtf candy taste

Bigtone888

Yo Grey Skull,

Can you verify the smell and taste of the final product of MTF. I recently got a MTF clone and I want to see if it is the real things. From what I heard, real MTF is suppose to have a certain distintive smell and taste. I just want to verify with what you have since you have a the OG cutting that you received from your experienced friend.

Thanks

G

Greyskull

hey bigtone888
to me, dried, i think she has a pleasantly musky (no, not mold folks! kinda like the chem 4 smell... that floral like musk) aroma. the taste is very much red grapes.
if you have the mtf, itll yeild really well for you.
in flower the buds smell like tangerines... that high end citrusy smell.

good luck with your grow. where'd you source the cut (if that info is okay to share... if not
no wories!)?

Matanuska Thunderfuck does exist in seed form. There are a several differant pheno's,some more sativa than the others(some almost seem pure sativa and is almost impossible to grow indoors) so choose wisely. Matanuska Thunderfuck went underground in the very early 80's when I believe it was entrusted to The Hell's Angels and a few other lucky growers.There are clone only pheno's out there, but if you live in Alaska you should be able to find original seeds with a little bit of searching.I have had females autoflower when I took clones off of flowering plants.My girls look identical to most of the pictures earlier in this thread so a lot of you guys & gals can believe the myth that it is only found in clone only form(like I said earlier there are clone only pheno's)but the actual strain has been kept alive in seed form all these years,it's just been available underground to a lucky few until recently.

Last edited by a moderator: