What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New To Outdoor Growing, Questions

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
This forum has been a major resource that helped me learn allot about hydro and indoor growing for over a year now. Over 40 plants harvested so far with pretty good indoor yields. Thank you.

Now, it's time to move outdoors and I really don't know jack. The soil is mainly compost with allot of chicken coop crap. The coco root balls went right in the soil and the transition was pretty smooth. I've always used Botanicare indoors and would like to keep it pretty clean outdoors too.

Here's the questions.

How much should I water?

What are the recommends for feeding?

Is there an easy / cheap garden hose type injection system that will automate the process with some accuracy?

Thanks Again.

picture.php

Last edited:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I went in there pretty good with a cultivator. Wish I had thought of that, but will do next season.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Are people using teas or any thing to boost growth?

Zeez, I would imagine you could use soaker hose from any lawn and garden store for faster watering. I am thinking of setting up a watering system myself seeing I have all the pumps and stuff from indoor.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Are people using teas or any thing to boost growth?

Zeez, I would imagine you could use soaker hose from any lawn and garden store for faster watering. I am thinking of setting up a watering system myself seeing I have all the pumps and stuff from indoor.

I think it's going to be a garden hose going to a 3/4" PVC manifold with top hat grommets and 1/4" lines going to each plant. It works great with a timer the tents. I just don't want to over water.

How about an injector for nutes?
picture.php

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
so you are running bottled nutes on your outdoor?

once those all grow together in a month it should be easier water the whole plot but I'm thinking they will benefit from you observing them and watering lots more on the big ones early on.

how are they looking now that the weather is nicer? did you put in 12?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Hey Chunky, They'v been outside ten days and showing good new growth. The raised bed soil is very good, but I want to maximize. First time doing outdoor. A couple are the same Acapulco Gold I gave to the happy lady at Tetra Hydro. I've got eight and room for one more. Biggest ones are 3 feet and smalls about 18" now. Drip watering is installed and I want to inject nutes with the watering.

What do you recommend for nutes?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
when I went back to organic soil I used bio bizz and GO's line. the buds that I won the cup with were grown with the complete GO line in my amended soil.

I would try topdressing with worm castings guano's and watering with ACT if the bottled nutes are too pricey for you.

last year my outdoor was swamp soil amended lightly with one top dress about halfway into flower when they started yellowing early.
picture.php

picture.php

now I'm using all the organic goodies that I was too scared to get delivered to my place in NY.
picture.php

Amazon has these pick up lockers in the mall here that are awesome and keep the neighbors from peeping on your deliveries.

the frost and smell is off the charts on this indoor now and I'm only using 600's for lights.
picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I noticed you didnt add dolomite lime pellets to buffer the ph of the soil. If you get some and mix it into your bed it will take alot of headache out of your grow, being able to just add nutes and random ph water without ill effects.

Have you thought about top dressing every other week with an organic dry fertilizer? Typically they are a good deal cheaper than bottle nutes, its hard to overfeed with, and you get alot more use out of them.

Ive read logs of people having good experiences outdoors using earth juices rainbow mix grow and bloom dry ferts along with botanicare liquid nutes.

The soil king grows 10lb and bigger outdoor trees using mr bs green trees, check out the video on youtube mendo dope visits seed 2 soul farms.

ManyManySpliffs

when I went back to organic soil I used bio bizz and GO's line. the buds that I won the cup with were grown with the complete GO line in my amended soil.

I would try topdressing with worm castings guano's and watering with ACT if the bottled nutes are too pricey for you.

last year my outdoor was swamp soil amended lightly with one top dress about halfway into flower when they started yellowing early.
View Image

View Image

now I'm using all the organic goodies that I was too scared to get delivered to my place in NY.
View Image

Amazon has these pick up lockers in the mall here that are awesome and keep the neighbors from peeping on your deliveries.

the frost and smell is off the charts on this indoor now and I'm only using 600's for lights.
View Image

Hey Chunkypig, I was going to get some a that insect frass to use on my outdoor this year. Boost that resin production. Is this your first time using it and if not how do you use it in your feeding regimen (amounts and frequency)?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Hey Chunkypig, I was going to get some a that insect frass to use on my outdoor this year. Boost that resin production. Is this your first time using it and if not how do you use it in your feeding regimen (amounts and frequency)?

I mix it into my soil and add it to my ACT.

about 1/4 -1/3 bag of frass per bag soil and about 1/4 cup per gallon water in my ewc = molasses ACT.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor

Bio Buzz grow. Sounds good. Lime pellets too. The soil is slightly acid from chicken shit in the compost. Thanks.

Is it cool to spread straw for weed control or will that promote undesirables? A few more weeks and they'll be tall enough that it won't matter.

Last edited:
S

Scott64a

A 2" deep layer of plain un-colored cedar mulch will help with weeds, some kinds of bugs, mice and retain moisture for them to boot.

If you have slugs around, just pick up a copper scrubby at the grocery and pull the strands apart. I cut myself doing this... that shit is sharp haha.
You spread a half dozen strands around the bases of each plant and the slugs and snails won't cross it. Apparently it's like tasting a penny, only to them it's times a thousand so they just go away.

growingcrazy

A much simpler more effective approach.

Go order a gallon of fish hydrolysate (Pacific Gro, Browns fish etc.). Pick up a bag of Calphos and a bag of gypsum.

Looks like you have a 4x4 area?

20 lbs of gypsum
140grams per square foot Calphos ~200 ppm

Work into top 6" around plants.

Apply 10 more lbs gypsum to surface.

Water in with 1oz fish per gallon of water, 1 gallon per sqft. A pinch of borax to the total mix also... this is a 60 ppm N 90 ppm P solution / sqft

Cover with 6" yard leaf waste.

August 1st add the rest of your gypsum. add 50 grams/sqft Calphos and water in with Fish @ 1oz/gal. This is ~70ppm P from the Calphos

~ Sept 1 Fish + 1 tbl molasses/gallon ~50ppm K from the molasses

Water in between feeds with compost tea, otherwise water as normal.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Thanks for the help. Eight plants came out of hydro in my veg tent, Two died so far. One just shriveled up for no apparent reason. The other victim was a real bushy one that got messed up by wind. It got blown over, then back and fourth. Sucks. I staked it up, but the damage was too much.

The remaining six are hearty. The biggest one is turning into a monster bush. I'll get some pics for an update when it stops raining.